Skylark Tiny Osd 3

Reaction score
I am looking at the manual for the tiny osd 3 and I see a reset button. Is this for resetting the home position, or does the unit do that whan it is turned on a finds the satellites? Or is it for resetting the calibration? i just want to know if the reset has to be pushe d each time you fly to reset home, as that would be very ackward.

Also how is the voltage meter. Does it really tell you when your battery is low and you should finish your flight?

xstatic said:
I am looking at the manual for the tiny osd 3 and I see a reset button. Is this for resetting the home position, or does the unit do that whan it is turned on a finds the satellites? Or is it for resetting the calibration? i just want to know if the reset has to be pushe d each time you fly to reset home, as that would be very ackward.

Also how is the voltage meter. Does it really tell you when your battery is low and you should finish your flight?

The unit finds the home position when it achieves a gps lock after u turn it on. The reset also does not reset calibration. You do not need to reset each time you fly. The reset has the same effect as turning the power off and on.

The voltage meter shows you your battery voltage, i usually land my Phantom 1 when the voltage reaches 10.8 volts.

I have a few questions as I am considering get this unit.
Does it give an accurate voltage readout so you know when to land the copter.
Does it display the latitude and longitude on the main screen.
Are you running everything off the main battery
Do I need a deans connector for the phantom or was the wiring connectors good with what they sent.
Do you suggest me buying this unit or are there problems that are annoying.

xstatic said:
I have a few questions as I am considering get this unit.
Does it give an accurate voltage readout so you know when to land the copter.
Does it display the latitude and longitude on the main screen.
Are you running everything off the main battery
Do I need a deans connector for the phantom or was the wiring connectors good with what they sent.
Do you suggest me buying this unit or are there problems that are annoying.

The voltage readout is accurate although I do double check mine with a multimeter and calibrate if necessary. I even calibrate my Naza voltage readouts as they can be off by 0.2V! The current readout do need calibration. Instructions can be found here: http://www.rcflighttest.com/home/2011/11/calibrating-the-skylark-tiny-osd-2-current-sensor/

The OSD can be configured as standard and simple. The standard mode shows the longitude and latitude on the top while the simple mode will show a 'cleaner' display and will not show the latitude and longitude. I run everything off my main battery but it requires a 5V supply, not 12V so I connect it to my F1 port which provides 5V. I use a typical servo cable with the signal wire disconnected, just positive and negative/ground. The signal wire is the tapered end of the servo connector, remove this single wire from the connector because it is not needed.

For the Phantom, you need the Skylark Tiny OSD with the XT60 connectors current sensor.

The thing that you may find annoying is that the heading is calculated from GPS, it doesn't have a compass or utilise the Phantom's built in compass. So the heading info is only accurate when you are moving, hovering stationary and rotating might not change the heading. I will double check on my next flight.

You can see my video with Skylark OSD in simple mode here, please ignore my GoPro camera's OSD: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peWTQMGLxFI[/youtube]

I prefer it to my DJI iOSD ii (although these have their strengths too e.g. dual camera input, seamless integration with the Phantom's GPS and compass etc.) because everything fits in my Phantom 1 and I can see the current/amps my Phantom is pulling from my battery and compare the efficiency of different props and the effects of my Phantom's weight for example. Just yesterday I was comparing the original Phantom props and the Phantom Vision or Phantom 2 props. The newer and bigger Phantom 2 or Vision props are pulling almost 2 amps less power! That equates to longer flight times!

I am by no means an expert in these OSDs but I can compare the Skylark Tiny III and the DJI iOSD ii because I own both. Hope this helps!

Here are some photos comparing the Skylark and Dji iOSD ii

11879591833_a8a28536f0.jpg

11879589913_c437ee5e40.jpg

11880161296_c4cf788382.jpg

I wonder how much weight can be saved by stripping the plastic housing, rewrapping it with some heat shrink..

Thanks azri77 for those pics That really says alot about the weight and size This will really help users in their decision as to what will suit them I think I will go for the Skylark as weight, size and funtionality are a big issue Especially as the Skylark can show the gps coordinates, which is great. I plan on getting a monitor that can record the flight so If I lose the phantom I can alwys trace its lat and long to find it

I was looking at this and think this is amazing for the price. here is the monitor, which I believe s also led display

http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-rc800 ... -1271.html

Also thanks again for the really helpful "assesment" I think the tiny will really suit my needs I don't need a compass display just a home pointer And If I get a near voltage reading, it will be enough to guide the length of the flight And as you said I can further calibrate it

I've been looking at getting a FPV setup using a monitor and also a GPS tracking solution. I like your idea of using this as a GPS tracker as well. No monthly subscription costs. Any idea of a cheap way to record the video going into a monitor (or I guess if the monitor has a video out)?

That's not a bad price.

I was thinking more about this, and maybe it's not the best solution. A flyaway would typically involve the Phantom taking off and disappearing into the sunset. Once it got far enough away, you'd lose video reception as well (and GPS coordinates), which would make it difficult to determine your Phantom's final resting place.

LeoS said:
I wonder how much weight can be saved by stripping the plastic housing, rewrapping it with some heat shrink..

The plastic housing is actually transparent heat shrink to provide insulation. You only save a gram or two.

i was wondering is it possible to get the little circle and line, displaying the way home, on the bottom right of the screen to be displayed at the same time you have your longitude and latitude displayed? I have seen some youtubes where you can see both, and I think it was for the tiny osd 3. Is there a setup menu where you can pick what you want displayed on the screen?

xstatic said:
i was wondering is it possible to get the little circle and line, displaying the way home, on the bottom right of the screen to be displayed at the same time you have your longitude and latitude displayed? I have seen some youtubes where you can see both, and I think it was for the tiny osd 3. Is there a setup menu where you can pick what you want displayed on the screen?

I can't get mine to show lat and long with the simple menu. I'd be interested to know too. Maybe an email to skylark? I know you can customise eagletree osd menu but i don't own one to be able to comment.

I posted the weight of the skylark tiny osd iii in this thread. Here's one where i include the gps, current sensor, osd and cables.

11960375823_6d0f2dcb90.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan