Skyjacking.

I think I saw it posted earlier today, but I already knew about this for a while back now. :lol:

Not sure though who has the time and effort that would want to bring down a drone by hijacking it's Wi-Fi though. :?

Waiting for a drone to pass by is like fishing in your backyard pool.

UrAwFuL said:
Not sure though who has the time and effort that would want to bring down a drone by hijacking it's Wi-Fi though. :?

Well, just take a look at the internet. There are thousands of sick people that create viruses that will destroy your computer and they do it for "fun." These "sickies" would love to bring your drone down.

Happyflyer said:
UrAwFuL said:

Well, just take a look at the internet. There are thousands of sick people that create viruses that will destroy your computer and they do it for "fun." These "sickies" would love to bring your drone down.

Well, nowadays it's not really for fun.. it's more like money making (judging by all the data farming for credit cards and information that can be sold for money) for most "hackers", but some for sure do it for fun.. there are always those kind of people.

I suppose those anti-drone people would be the type of people we should look out for. But the thing is, like I mentioned earlier, there isn't a lot of us drone operators out there. DJI for sure has sold a ton of these quadcopters, but it's not enough that every neighborhood has one. Plus not everyone flies all the time.. :lol: I have never seen another pilot at a park/beach/etc whenever I'm out every weekend... so again, they're pretty rare. So for some person waiting with their laptops at a random park looking out for drones is like someone fishing in their backyard pool. :lol:

Just my opinion. I'm thinking now I just jynxed myself. :cry:

It has happened on the high government level.
Iran was apparently able to capture a US launched drone while in flight and force it to land at their chosen site.
Many commercial trucks are equipped with satellite communications.
One guy said he knew the codes to enter into the keyboard and could make it appear that he was where he was not.
To prove it, he entered the coordinates for Honolulu, Hi. His dispatcher didn't think that was funny.

I have read where experiments have been going on at white sands missile range on this issue.
So designers of these birds are going to have to build in safeguards to ensure that a signal is coming from the true source and not somewhere else.

I don't need to skyjack a sUAS. I'm just waiting for Amazon to start using them to make deliveries, then I'll get a free drone with every purchase!

Nothing is impossible. Is the transmitter not uniquely paired with the receiver hence several phantoms can fly at the same site without interference!? Anyway not a problem in my neck of the woods.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

I saw that article yesterday too... he takes over like.. small toy drones that are CONTROLLED via wifi, yes? Speaking only for the non-vision Phantom 2, I know our controllers are on the same frequencies hence why you can't have the gopro's wifi turned on, but it isn't actually using wifi commands to control the Phantom so it's not like this guy's thing can take over a Phantom, right?

QYV said:
I saw that article yesterday too... he takes over like.. small toy drones that are CONTROLLED via wifi, yes? Speaking only for the non-vision Phantom 2, I know our controllers are on the same frequencies hence why you can't have the gopro's wifi turned on, but it isn't actually using wifi commands to control the Phantom so it's not like this guy's thing can take over a Phantom, right?

Correct. This particular hack works on systems like the Parrot AR Drone that is controlled via wi-fi. Our Phantoms are controlled by radio and are not susceptible to this particular hack.

The worst that can happen is that the Phantom goes into RTH (return to home) mode.
If some one does spread spectrum jamming.

yea I wasn't worried I just wanted to make sure I understood what that hacker guy was doing exactly.

actually the WORST that can happen is if some jackass decides to shoot down your Phantom heh

Tripnman said:
QYV said:

Correct. This particular hack works on systems like the Parrot AR Drone that is controlled via wi-fi. Our Phantoms are controlled by radio and are not susceptible to this particular hack.

That's good to know. I thought the wifi used on our Phantoms was only for the video and telemetry info but wasn't totally sure if there might be a backdoor into the controller somehow.

Thanks for the info!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20