Skins for your Phantom

Reaction score
I'm intrigued with the variety of skins for the Phantom.
Is there any downside to them?
I see silicone types but they look like they add weight.
Where is a good place online to check them out and purchase?
Thanks.

I got mine through DecalGirl.com. Their's are a thin vinyl and easy to apply. I have noticed no impact at all on gps or radio reception. I liked being able to choose between a matte or gloss finish and I actually went the 5 extra buck and upload my own photos for a custom skin. Shipped in two days fedex. It seems like they commonly have discounts running. 25% at the moment, 40% for a week a couple weeks ago, 20% when I bought mine.

I skinned my Air 2 from them as well. Real cool front skins. They send you a link for screen wallpaper so when you put the front vinyl skin on they meet up and form a single graphic.

Reactions: SHRED
Is there any downside to them?

Some... and It depends. If you ever want to remove it, some will be much easier to remove without any residue to clean off (part of why I went with Decalgirl) and others... just forget about it. Some say that really dark skins (black) absorb more heat (which I believe) and could possibly do damage. Darker skins can make it harder to locate downed drone. High gloss skins may interfere with gps signals (though I have no personal experience with it). The weight factor of course.

Those are some of the main points of discussions that come up when talking about skinning or not to skin.

Mine is skinned. I don't mind the weight. 3-5grams here or there is no biggy. It removes easity with no reside, it IS darker, but I don't fly in even moderately hot weather, mine has a matte finish so less shiny than the original shell, if my drone goes down it's equipped with a radio transceiver... So for me, it made sense.. and let's face.. P3/P4's are a bit of a "toad" and really need a little flash. ;)

To each their own.

I got mine through DecalGirl.com. Their's are a thin vinyl and easy to apply. I have noticed no impact at all on gps or radio reception. I liked being able to choose between a matte or gloss finish and I actually went the 5 extra buck and upload my own photos for a custom skin. Shipped in two days fedex. It seems like they commonly have discounts running. 25% at the moment, 40% for a week a couple weeks ago, 20% when I bought mine.

I skinned my Air 2 from them as well. Real cool front skins. They send you a link for screen wallpaper so when you put the front vinyl skin on they meet up and form a single graphic.
Thanks.
Just ordered this one.

77bc69344df6a08f77b6c3df7c6b003b.jpg

Reactions: Jimboa
Thanks.
Just ordered this one.

Don't care who ya are.. that there's funny! I was fighting with myself over that exact one (and color) and the Plated skin. But then I noticed the 20% off and the custom was only 5 bucks more so... went custom.

Reactions: SHRED
Instead of making a new thread I figured I’d add on to this one. (Resurrection successful)

Do the skins help with visibility in the sky?
Sometimes it takes me a bit to find the bird when it’s at 400 feet and even if I can still slightly hear it to pinpoint its location a bit it isn’t instant to spot. I have a feeling that white isn’t a good color on blue sky and even worse on a cloudy or mostly cloudy day.

I would be sure to get a skin that covers the bottom or at least the sides to attempt to solve my issue, the top is just there to tie the look together when it’s stored.

Perhaps it’s a good question for obsidian owners who have also seen or owned a white drone, but I was hoping other skinned owners could chime in too. I’d have to really consider color since even though I might like a gray look, it’s probably a bad choice for my needs. Luckily I hate blue since it’s also probably the worst choice against a sky. Maybe green or something if I want to avoid the black or carbon fiber options. (*Edit: or red and gray camo*)

Last edited:
If your going to wear a skin, you should make it neoprene for the best visual and protection in the sky. You can check them out at phantomrain.org

Here are some o my favorite pics: 3 different skins to challenge the weather.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.40.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.41.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 1.42.13 AM.png

I appreciate the suggestion although I have no desire to fly in bad weather so to me personally, the skin looks tacky especially with how thick it is and not quite full cover. I understand it is likely purpose-built first and aesthetics second, but it doesn't fit my needs. (Also, I was a bit shocked at the price for it.)

Reactions: AndrewCCM
The downside it that it is completely unnecessary and silly. Putting a sticker on a drone is a male equivalent of press on nails. M daughter's like to put stickers on stuff. I'm not shipping at decalgirl, haha.

The necessity I am hoping for is easier spotting in the sky, but if it doesn't do or help much then no it's not worth the look.

The necessity I am hoping for is easier spotting in the sky, but if it doesn't do or help much then no it's not worth the look.
We made some really great videos on are site phantomrain.org showing how much visual distance is gained by a colored Wet Suit , which is not the same as a wrap of sticker.

On average in a bright sky you can see your drone an additional 400 ft

Visual sight is really important when flying and so is knowing the proximity of your drone facing forward of back. When you add a small light bar USB charged with a black or red Wet Suit its a game changer.

Those Black Obsidians look amazing with the Wet Suits and are ready for anything . Sent to us from a client.
Notice the Tile Application which is good for 200 ft and is used to provide added info to remote landings once the GPS has been locked into.

Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 4.18.23 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-14 at 7.51.18 PM.png

We made some really great videos on are site phantomrain.org showing how much visual distance is gained by a colored Wet Suit , which is not the same as a wrap of sticker.

On average in a bright sky you can see your drone an additional 400 ft

Visual sight is really important when flying and so is knowing the proximity of your drone facing forward of back. When you add a small light bar USB charged with a black or red Wet Suit its a game changer.

Those Black Obsidians look amazing with the Wet Suits and are ready for anything . Sent to us from a client.
Notice the Tile Application which is good for 200 ft and is used to provide added info to remote landings once the GPS has been locked into.

View attachment 96365 View attachment 96364
That looks outstanding! Where did you get that landing gear?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan