Skins (are they hard to put on?)

S

sandman259

How hard is it to put them on and to get wrinkles out and make look good? I'm thinking about doing it but seems like it would be hard to put on with it not being flat. And with all the problems with the original decals always coming off and lifting off is it going to be the same thing with the wraps?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I put one on once,
Tx and bird, I used a drop of dish soap, ( dawn ) in a smaller squirt bottle, filled the rest with water, very LIGHTLY mist the shell with the soapy water ( TINY BIT OF SOAP GOES A LONG WAY ) this allows you to tinker with the wrap, a bit longer to get it straight ( without it sticking too bad ), once you get it centered, it is pretty easy after that.
Soapy water makes it easy to remove any wrinkles as well! ( no different than tinting a window on a auto ) But the wraps are sticky, and Soap will help a bit, once it is on and dries out, you ain't getting it back off! I thought it would be cool, but ended up ditching the idea, later as edges started to peel, from placing and removing it from case, I ended up spending over an hour trying to remove residue! It looked cool, but I will NEVER do it again!
Down note:
Once removed, if you don't get ALL the residue off, bird will get VERY dirty, fast, as every little speck of dirt/dust will stick to the residue, it was a nightmare for me! But some of those wraps are cool as hell! Up to you! Also they are pre-cut, and fit well over the bends and curves! Hope this helps, and good luck!

J Dot
:cool:

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes it does thanks...think I'll stick with the naked bird...lol

A+

Personally,
That was my start, but over the years, my favorite decoration on ALL my birds, are carbon fiber looking arm, battery, and FAA stickers, all matching colors. ( actually FAA stickers are just reg vinyl, as the carbon fiber ones are too thick, to cut to the size I need ( very small )),

To me it is the most pleasing, plus there are a TON of colors!

Here is an example of one of my birds.
( this is black carbon fiber stickers )
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The chameleon carbon fiber is really cool, but pics do no justice for them, but in person they change a lot of colors.
Again just my input, but there are tons of things you can do to give your bird that little touch of yourself!

Take care, and good luck to you!
Fly safe!

J Dot

My original plan was to just replace my arm stickers but the factory ones suck and always peel up. Are those aftermarket ones on the arms? Where did you get them?

Are they a lot better then the factory ones? Stick better?

They are thicker, and more sticky, any sticker is prone to peeling, but mine seem to be doing well, so far, I did order extra sets just n case, but have not used them yet, lol.
I think they are much higher quality than stock, and much more color choices.

J Dot

Not that hard to put on. It took about half hour since I wanted to be careful not to screw it up. This particular skin did not fit perfect. I had to make some minor adjustments with an exacto knife. If you are careful, it's easy to push out the bubbles to the edge. This one is made out of vinyl. I carefully used a hair dryer to smooth out the bubbles. I plan to change it later when I'm sick of this look.

85305b32b0657e65fdfa8918326aa05f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Reactions: geejdee
That does look pretty awesome...I might pull the trigger sometime for fun....

I make vinyl graphics and signs in the uk

Any sticker should have the surface cleaned before applying we use methylated spirit on a lint free cloth or tissue (bog roll if you will)

Soapy water does help a novice but it can have an effect on the adhesive making it weaker

Thicker vinyl usually means it's cheap we use avery vinyl with a lifespan of 7 years out doors and it's only 60 microns thick

I really must finish that p3 template I was drawing in vector so I can decorate my baby lol

A+

Personally,
That was my start, but over the years, my favorite decoration on ALL my birds, are carbon fiber looking arm, battery, and FAA stickers, all matching colors. ( actually FAA stickers are just reg vinyl, as the carbon fiber ones are too thick, to cut to the size I need ( very small )),

To me it is the most pleasing, plus there are a TON of colors!

Here is an example of one of my birds.
( this is black carbon fiber stickers )
View attachment 63195 View attachment 63196

The chameleon carbon fiber is really cool, but pics do no justice for them, but in person they change a lot of colors.
Again just my input, but there are tons of things you can do to give your bird that little touch of yourself!

Take care, and good luck to you!
Fly safe!

J Dot

What camera is that on your Phantom ?

Used a hair dryer too for applying these skins, also used a needle to remove the bubbles.

v7bfa1.jpg

14w3aiv.jpg

How hard is it to put them on and to get wrinkles out and make look good? I'm thinking about doing it but seems like it would be hard to put on with it not being flat. And with all the problems with the original decals always coming off and lifting off is it going to be the same thing with the wraps?

Their easy if you just take your time . Have used several different co.'s but use this one now DecalGirl | Custom Cases + Removable Skins For Your Electronics!
Now what's cool here is after you go through and find the skins you will see where you can use your picture and make your own design
They are not high and they are quick to get it done . If nothing else just check it out and make a skin .You don't have to buy it .
Mine look like this DBC85E53-6D32-413C-A77E-F9522A1C4D00.JPG

Reactions: J Dot
Stock fc200 camera with a rotorpixel gimbal, was a gift from @dirkclod
Yeah, that guy in the post up above me, lol. ( Thanks buddy )!

J Dot
Well you fixed it after I crashed it .
IMG_5497.GIF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik