Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Skier almost hit by falling drone during competition run on TV

Discussion in 'News' started by Jay H, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Jay H

2. N017RW

Saw it.

Flown by Pros with top-shelf equipment?
    Probably.

R/C aircraft are dangerous.

3. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

4. SanCap

Why not let the original post stay alive and just move it? It had many more posts??

aenbacka likes this.
  5. Chuck Young

So the Drone was almost exactly where the split time was being measured. In addition at the beginning of the video there are lift towers just off the course so there would be overhead cables near by but probably were not a factor. The split time being within 5 seconds of when the drone came down and in the exact area of the split and coming straight down out of the air all are factors in this crash. someone may have pushed the drone to close to it's end of operating limit and made, almost, a huge mistake. My guess is the drone was stationed at the split time location. Ski racers don't wait for drone operators to change out their batteries.

JMHO

6. TC Malker

Possibly it was staged to make drone look bad and dangerous. I'm not falling
    for that. Probably more convincing if it for cause some injury.

7. jason

If you look closely at the video those props were still spinning when it hit the ground. Looks more like pilot error.

8. ianwood

ianwood Taco Wrangler
    Staff Member

Battery failure due to cold.

9. Chuck Young

My implication was "pilot error" most likely because of what @ianwood said. Operator looked at battery indicator and said: "God help the batteries last past this guys split time and I swear I will change them out". They did not make it and quad and camera succumbed to the force of gravity.

I had also read that in Italy some nefarious entities are trying to pass stricter legislation against drone operators winch are already required to be licensed and insured. So it very well could have been this:

(But only it you turn it way up!)

But on the bright side, I hear there is a job opening for an experienced drone operator here:

http://www.infrontsports.com/

#10 Chuck Young, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  10. kenjancef

I saw the video on my local new last night. The story was narrated by the local news guy, and surprisingly he stressed that it was a drone used for broadcast. Crazy stuff..! Missed him by THAT MUCH! (If you know that line, then you're as old as I am... lol...)

11. BlackTracer

LMAO at how it smashed into so many pieces.

12. JKDSensei

Driving is dangerous. Flying is dangerous. Cooking is dangerous. Swimming is dangerous. Trees are dangerous (Sonny Bono would tell you so if one hadn't killed him)
    LIFE is dangerous and eventually we ALL die.
    Not sure what the point is in repeating this all over the forum over and over?

13. JKDSensei

Yes. From the way it impacted it would seem it was higher up than might be assumed. Hard to tell.

14. davis

dont networks fly over NFL games? i think some cameras are cabled. but i could have sworn i saw drone footage and drone itself from another camera angle

15. N017RW

Doubtful although they may be experimenting here and there if you think you saw one.

They use the SpiderCam or some similar device. Much safer.

16. GundoLarry

I'm guessing it's about eliminating the RISKS you know about, and live with the ones you don't know about. Not a hard concept really.

GoodnNuff and JKDSensei like this.
  17. JKDSensei

huh? If everyone "expected" to crash their Phantom, how many would still buy one?
    Oh well...I gave you your first "like" anyway....because you were not liked before.

But don't take my kindness for weakness...you'll have to earn the next one bucko

18. KRBImaging

Yea, they trashed that high end multi rotor and camera equipment to make a point.... Not

GoodnNuff likes this.
  19. Chuck Young

Here is what Infront Sports says went on:

23 December 2015
    During the slalom race of the FIS Alpine Ski World Cup in Madonna di Campiglio/Italy in the evening of 22 December 2015, an unmanned drone DFC-COPTER XR1 carrying a broadcast camera crashed into the snow during the second run of Austrian ski racer Marcel Hirscher.

The drone had been used to provide aerial shots of the slalom race, and was part of the host broadcast operation of Infront Sports & Media. The drone and the drone pilot have been provided by a third party service to Infront Sports & Media.

The initial technical report indicates a malfunction of the drone. According to the drone operating company, the most likely reason is a strong and unforeseen interference on the operating frequency, leading to limited operability. Detecting this, the pilot followed the official security procedure, purposely flying the drone as close as possible to the ground before releasing it. The aim was to destroy the drone, in order to prevent it from losing control.

We very much regret that this happened and especially that it was in close proximity to an athlete, in this case Marcel Hirscher. We are extremely relieved that no one was hurt and apologise once again to Marcel Hirscher, as well as to the FIS, the Austrian and Italian Ski Federations and the Local Organising Committee.

Infront has decided to mandate an external independent expert with a formal investigation of the matter.

For the time being, FIS and Infront have decided to refrain from using drones for broadcast purposes until a fully secured operation can be ensured.