Skate-parks? What about Drone-parks?

Reaction score
I remember back in the late 80's when street-skating was finally starting to hit the public mainstream. All of a sudden everyone was up in arms, yelling at every skater for anything they could think of. Rules were drafted, signs were put up, and skaters were vilified. The solution, ultimately, was to start skate parks. And for the most part I think they are successful.

Truth is, the walls are closing in on drone-enthusiasts as well - feels like deja-vu (I used to street-skate, too). I know they have RC parks for cars, planes, copters, etc. If they would designate a large vista I would happily pay and drive to it. Better yet, how about designating some parks, "Drone friendly" for a fee. It's getting old to constantly be on-guard every time I go out. Sometimes I just want to return it because I can't even fly it without some ******* thinking I want to spy on their family.

It's strange, if I have my son (4 years old) with me, no one says anything - ever. But if I am by myself I am immediately a suspected perv.

Join the AMA and go fly at a club.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I like your reflection on how a child modify people's perception of a "drone" changing it into an innocuous radio controlled model. It is so true!

I too remember those skate parks growing up. I think the difference you'd need a larger space to fly Quads. The risk of of collisions would be high. I also think it'd be good a place to learn to fly and practice. But when it comes to AP, wouldn't make very interesting videos after a while...

Again, on the news (In FL) they were showing how the police have a, "Gun" that can force any drone to land. That really wasn't what pissed me off. It was because the anchor said, "...because more and more drones are used for aerial surveillance and spying". Ugh. This **** drives me insane.

The "gun" just disrupts the communication between the controller and the bird. If you have your RTH set right it will RTH as soon as the link fails.

So if this gun was used and just say your quad hits a car or a person who is at fault here then

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's strange, if I have my son (4 years old) with me, no one says anything - ever. But if I am by myself I am immediately a suspected perv.

Very true!
When flying with my daughter people always think it's the greatest thing ever.
If I'm at the same park by myself, I get plenty of people giving dirty looks or asking if it has a camera, etc.

An alternate or addition to designated drone parks might be to form clubs similar to snowmobile clubs. Snowmobile clubs get permission of landowners, governments and businesses to use a right-of-way through the land. In return they take care of the trail, supervise activity and generally provide a positive effect to the community for relatively few negatives.

Drone/UTV clubs may even join forces with the snowmobile clubs for winter/summer use.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers