SJ4000 wifi distance

Reaction score
I just bought an SJ4000 off Ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-SJCAM...ra-/111470752778?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160 and I know some of you use this cam and was wondering what kind of distance your getting with it. Most reviews and comments seem to be overwhelmingly positive and at 1/3rd the price of a GoPro I couldn't resist ordering it to hook up to my Walkera G-2D gimbal. I've just not seem many comments about it's wifi distance.

Thanks In Advance
BOP

I'm not sure what you are expecting, it will be about 20 feet I expect so only useful to make any changes to the settings before taking off.
The camera is pretty good at video but kind of disappointing at stills.
It's almost as good to do a video screengrab I find.

It's slightly deeper than the gopro - only a couple of mm but might need a bit of fiddling to get in the gimbal.

Reactions: Jayell
Much appreciated 4wd.
I was hoping to do at least "close range" FPV with it but that's okay, guess not. I'm thinking it should be much easier to fit into a Walkera G-2D gimbal than the FC40 cam which is like trying to fit a round peg into a square hole, almost literally. I've done it but it wasn't very elegant. I'm relatively new to Quad and RC so right now trying to track down any and all threads/info on using a video transmitter with the SJ4000 for FPV flight. The SJ4000 I ordered is a newer version which I believe has video out capabilities which should in theory allow me to connect it to a transmitter for FPV, no?

Thanks again,
BOT

(EDIT-UPDATE)
After an exhausting search of several forums, through countless pages of threads I "think" I've hobbled together enough information (please remember, I'm just a newbie) to buy what I need to use my recently purchased SJ4000 to work as FPV while also recording. What I intend to buy is a Boscam FPV 2.4G 500MW 8CH AV Wireless TS321 Transmitter and RC302 Receiver from here:
http://www.hobbywow.com/en-boscam-f...21-transmitter-and-rc302-receiver-p237690.htm
I'm also buying this cable, "USB to AV Out Cable for SJ4000 Action Camera for FPV" from here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-AV-Out-C ... OC:US:3160
I'm now going to look for an appropriate monitor. If anyone has a similar setup I'd really appreciate any input.

Something else to be aware of is the gopro wifi is suspected of over-riding the control signal as you get further away.
However if you are using the usb out so it acts like a webcam that might be fine, mine can run like that connected to PC, but not sure it can record and stream at once?
The new one might be able to (mine is the original non wifi version)
But you may get acceptable pictures/video and record it from your monitor.

4wd,
Yes, from all that I've read, the newer units are capable of video out through USB to transmitter, (FPV) AND internal recording at the same time. So there's no need to use the on-board wifi for anything. At least that's what I've read. Once all the components come in I'll see for myself. I think your correct in that only newer units are capable of this. The newer SJ5000 may have even more functionality but SJCAM says they won't be out for another month or two.

BOT

As I'm thinking about it I don't see why I couldn't use a USB video input adapter such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easycap-USB-2-0 ... 20e4e1890b

And run the video feed from the receiver to it and into my new 8 inch windows tablet which I also recently just bought and a LOT better than I expected BTW.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black

I also have a SJ4000 (without WIFI) and have build a FPV video cable on my own, based on a raw micro USB connector. It works fine so far and there is absolutely no need for WIFI if used on a copter. Even the GoPro 3 WIFI must be turned off during flight to avoid interference with the 2.5 GHz RC receiver which is too near to the camera.

Regards, Gerd

BlackOpsTeamster said:
4wd,
Yes, from all that I've read, the newer units are capable of video out through USB to transmitter, (FPV) AND internal recording at the same time. So there's no need to use the on-board wifi for anything. At least that's what I've read. Once all the components come in I'll see for myself. I think your correct in that only newer units are capable of this. The newer SJ5000 may have even more functionality but SJCAM says they won't be out for another month or two.

BOT

As I'm thinking about it I don't see why I couldn't use a USB video input adapter such as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easycap-USB-2-0 ... 20e4e1890b

And run the video feed from the receiver to it and into my new 8 inch windows tablet which I also recently just bought and a LOT better than I expected BTW.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437499/TW801_Tablet_-_Black

Well so much for that little experiment. I'm about to throw in the towel. Too many hours trying to figure out why I'm not getting video out to my screen and apparently I'm the only one in the world trying a configuration like this because Google search's yields nothing. I did however finally get a new SJ5000+. Neat little GoPro like cam but it's buggy as all get out. Hopefully improved firmware down the road will take care of the bugs.

On one of my build I have a SJ4000, and FPV out (over the micro USB).
Recording and FPV at the same time is working fine for me.
(FPV does have about 1/2 second delay)

Did you enable TV out on the SJ4000 when testing the TV/FPV signal?

I too use this setup - the rc802 and ts321 with an SJ4000.

You MUST get a pair of cloverleaf/skewplanar antennas that are for 2.4ghz in order to get about a 500m video range, As for lag or delay, I don't have any issues with it and fly in manual mode all the time - great fun :)

My SJ4000 wifi simply doesn't work. I want to easily take stills from the camera when in flight and have now given up on the wifi. Instead I ordered a little servo a few days ago and hope to hook it up to the pitch control so that I can use that to physically press the button on the top of the camera.

Something else to be aware of is the gopro wifi is suspected of over-riding the control signal as you get further away.

Thats if flying with something like a phantom 1 or phantom 2 which use 2.4ghz for there control signal which can get interference from a cameras 2.4ghz wifi signal

But the fc40 uses 5.6ghz control so its not an issue which is why the fc40s 2.4ghz wifi camera dont causes any interference with the controll signal same as the phantom visions which also use 5.8ghz control signal and 2.4ghz for the cameras wifi connection

Noël said:
On one of my build I have a SJ4000, and FPV out (over the micro USB).
Recording and FPV at the same time is working fine for me.
(FPV does have about 1/2 second delay)

Did you enable TV out on the SJ4000 when testing the TV/FPV signal?

Great news! Since I've received my SJ5000+ I thought I'd give my setup one more try. It's working FANTASTICALLY well. At least on my test bench. I haven't tried it on the bird yet. Now that all components are confirmed working together I can begin the process of organizing and arranging them how I want. For example, I bought a cheap folio case for the winbook to which I will velcro a 4 port USB hub (since the Winbook only has 1 USB port), the EasyCap USB video capture device and my Boscam RC302 receiver. I still need to find some type of 12 volt DC portable battery to power the Boscam receiver and that too will be velcroed to the folio case that holds the Winbook. The video software I'm using to view and record is from NCH and is called Debut Video Capture. The video lag is almost negligible. For anyone who wants to know the SJ5000+ is recording AND sending video at the same time without a problem. Since I'm using Windows software I can ALSO use the tablet as a DVR and record directly on it as well.

I also need to mod the Walkera to accommodate the SJ5000+ but that should be easy enough. I couldn't be happier with this setup all for under $200 which includes the Winbook Windows tablet, Boscam transmitter and receiver and the EasyCap USB video capture device. The best part is I have a great Windows 8 touchscreen tablet to use for anything else I want when it's not being used for FPV work. Once I get it all setup and flying with it, I will then add OSD telemetry.

Reactions: kuvaajanne
So what did you find out? I am in the same boat - FC40. Sank it in the lake. Quad works fine, camera is shot. Looking for easy replacement with a better FPV option/distance. Interested in a gimbal but not sure how involved I want to get on just 100% trial and error. Thinking the SJ5000+ Wifi and just mount it directly onto the FC40 with o gimbal, but unsure of the Wifi range.

Hi There,

Every time I switch the camera off I have to go through the menu and set the “Video Out” option back on again. This is pretty annoying because I’ve got the camera set up on a G-2D gimbal and I cannot see the screen.

Do you know if there is any way of keeping the Video Out option constantly on even when switching the camera off?

Thanks

Jorge

Hi There,

Every time I switch the camera off I have to go through the menu and set the “Video Out” option back on again. This is pretty annoying because I’ve got the camera set up on a G-2D gimbal and I cannot see the screen.

Do you know if there is any way of keeping the Video Out option constantly on even when switching the camera off?

Thanks

Jorge
Jorge,
I don't think it's possible. Every time the cam is switched off and then back on again you have to go back and switch the Video Out back to on. It's just one of the quirks with this cam. When I was using it I just memorized the button pushing process so looking at the screen wasn't an issue for me. There may be newer firmware that has changed this but I doubt it.
BOT

Hey BOT,

Thanks for getting back to me I think I will have to memorize the sequence of the buttons just like you did.

I heard that the GoPro does go into Video Out mode when it detects the USB cable connected. Do you know if that is right?

Thanks

Jorge

Hey BOT,

Thanks for getting back to me I think I will have to memorize the sequence of the buttons just like you did.

I heard that the GoPro does go into Video Out mode when it detects the USB cable connected. Do you know if that is right?

Thanks

Jorge
I honestly don't know Jorge. I don't know anything at all about the GoPro but I have no doubt that the answer is here in the forum somewhere. A little bit of searching and I'm sure you'll have your answer.

Memorizing the buttons on the cam isn't really that bad and after a while just comes second nature.
BOT

I use a small camera for fpv mounted to the roll motor . It moves with the gimbal.

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj