Sj4000, sj5000+, or mobius cam?

Reaction score
I am looking for a quality camera for good pics and video and also to use for fpv, most likely on a walkera g2d gimbal. I realize I cannot have it all but I was looking for some suggestions by people who have tried either of them. Any suggestions would be great since I have been deciding forever and can't make up my mind. Thanks

dji phantom fc40
ardrone2 mod 4 telemetry+fpv
tplinkwr703+sunhans 2.5w and alpha 7dbi panel antenna for wifi boost
based in new jersey US

I have a sj4000 and a gopro naked I find the sj pretty good considering I only paid 35 second hand the pic is an image from the sj4000

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,795
I have a sj4000 and a gopro naked I find the sj pretty good considering I only paid 35 second hand the pic is an image from the sj4000
Wow that's a good deal! I'm about to pay like $90 for one I think. I just wish I knew if it had better picture than the mobius action cam. I've seen samples and the sj4000 looks better almost all the time.....choices choices.

Hey, do you know if the sjcam will work in a walkera g2d gimbal? The plastic version

I've heard the sj5000 and the sj5000+ both have some software issues to work out still. Some say the sj4000 is better than the sj5000+ even tho the megapixels are higher-end

Reactions: Eric flat
Wow that's a good deal! I'm about to pay like $90 for one I think. I just wish I knew if it had better picture than the mobius action cam. I've seen samples and the sj4000 looks better almost all the time.....choices choices.

Hey, do you know if the sjcam will work in a walkera g2d gimbal? The plastic version
Yes I use the same gimble with the tilt switch on the controller ..I don't think your be disappointed with either cams but my research told me the sj4000 has more options ..but beware of fakes as there are a few .

I'm going with the sj4000 and the walkera g2d gimbal. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

I'm going with the sj4000 and the walkera g2d gimbal. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Probably a good choice, especially since you already have FPV capability. I have both the 4000 and the 5000+. SJ is still working out issues with the 5000+ firmware although true 60 fps is nice as is the ability to record AND send video out at the same time.. The 4000 fits right into the Walkera gimbal whereas the 5000+ is just a tad bit bigger meaning you have to get the dremmel out. I think I had to add about 30 grams of weight to the Walkera with the 4000 to calm it down because the Walkera is actually set up for a GoPro which is heavier than the 4000.
Another good forum for SJ4000 info is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2090990
I really like the SJ cams along with the Walkera G2D. Nice, inexpensive setup.
Best'O Luck...
BOT

Probably a good choice, especially since you already have FPV capability. I have both the 4000 and the 5000+. SJ is still working out issues with the 5000+ firmware although true 60 fps is nice as is the ability to record AND send video out at the same time.. The 4000 fits right into the Walkera gimbal whereas the 5000+ is just a tad bit bigger meaning you have to get the dremmel out. I think I had to add about 30 grams of weight to the Walkera with the 4000 to calm it down because the Walkera is actually set up for a GoPro which is heavier than the 4000.
Another good forum for SJ4000 info is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2090990
I really like the SJ cams along with the Walkera G2D. Nice, inexpensive setup.
Best'O Luck...
BOT
Do you notice a big difference in picture and video quality from the sj4000 to the sj5000+ ? I would like to use my cam for fpv also and ditch my current setup as it would be heavy with both. If the sj4000 can't stream fpv while recording, that kinda stinks cause I would want to see what I was recording. That almost defeats the purpose of the fpv. Maybe I should go with the sj5000+ and just modify the gimbal a little bit as needed. If the camera quality really is better, I might go with the 5000+

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Do you notice a big difference in picture and video quality from the sj4000 to the sj5000+ ? I would like to use my cam for fpv also and ditch my current setup as it would be heavy with both. If the sj4000 can't stream fpv while recording, that kinda stinks cause I would want to see what I was recording. That almost defeats the purpose of the fpv. Maybe I should go with the sj5000+ and just modify the gimbal a little bit as needed. If the camera quality really is better, I might go with the 5000+

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Dtitus,
Personally I don't see a "great" deal of difference but things like that are somewhat subjective. Each person's mileage will differ. As far as streaming while recording, yes the 4000 will do that. I'm sorry for the confusion on that. It's been a while since I've had it all hooked up to the bird. I just now hooked it up and confirmed that the 4000 most certainly will stream AND record at the same time. You really can't go wrong either way you go for the price. B&H Photo has all models and there a trusted source. They have the 4000 for like $70. The 5000+ is about $170. No need to spend extra money for the 4000 WiFi version since you'll not be using the cam's wifi to stream. The really big difference between the two I guess is the hires 60 fps and 16MP for stills on the 5000+ versus 30 fps hires and 12MP on the 4000. Why not just get the 4000 for only $70, see if you like it and then you can upgrade to the 5000+ later on. By then they should have all the firmware issues ironed out too! Also with the 4000 you won't have to mod the gimbal. Seventy bucks ain't a lot of money for what you get.

BOT

Yes I think your right about the 4000 being a better deal. I am concerned about not being able to stream and record tho, as I have read elsewhere in other forums of other people not being able to record while flying fpv. If you are sure that it is possible than I will most definitely go with the 4000. That was the only thing holding me back. I guess maybe a firmware update allowed the record while fpv is on. Some of the forums I was on were from early models.

Thanks for your time and responce

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Dtitus,
Personally I don't see a "great" deal of difference but things like that are somewhat subjective. Each person's mileage will differ. As far as streaming while recording, yes the 4000 will do that. I'm sorry for the confusion on that. It's been a while since I've had it all hooked up to the bird. I just now hooked it up and confirmed that the 4000 most certainly will stream AND record at the same time. You really can't go wrong either way you go for the price. B&H Photo has all models and there a trusted source. They have the 4000 for like $70. The 5000+ is about $170. No need to spend extra money for the 4000 WiFi version since you'll not be using the cam's wifi to stream. The really big difference between the two I guess is the hires 60 fps and 16MP for stills on the 5000+ versus 30 fps hires and 12MP on the 4000. Why not just get the 4000 for only $70, see if you like it and then you can upgrade to the 5000+ later on. By then they should have all the firmware issues ironed out too! Also with the 4000 you won't have to mod the gimbal. Seventy bucks ain't a lot of money for what you get.

BOT
There is a lot of mixed things about these on the forums, lots say that fpv and recording can't be at the same time. If you are sure it is possible then I will surely go with the sj4000

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

There is a lot of mixed things about these on the forums, lots say that fpv and recording can't be at the same time. If you are sure it is possible then I will surely go with the sj4000

dji phantom fc40
based in new jersey US

Well I can only tell ya my experience and before I posted back to you I actually hooked it up and tested it because I didn't want to put out bad info. Yeah, I ran into all the confusion about this too when I first was looking into it. I think maybe all the different experiences were because of all the SJCAM clones. The clones were/are inferior to the original. With my setup I turn the SJ4000 on, then go into the menu and select TV OUT and turn it ON. The screen will then go black. I'm now getting video streamed from my Boscam transmitter to the Boscam receiver. From the receiver I have the signal routed to a USB video capture device which plugs into my Winbook tablet. Now I fire up the Debut Video Capture software in Windows and can see that I'm getting live video feed and begin recording onto the tablet. Now I go back to the SJ4000 and hit the top button to begin recording onto the cam. I think you'll be happy with the 4000. If you run into problems just give me a holler. I'm no guru or expert by any means but since I have the same setup I can maybe save you some time and frustration should you run into problems.

BOT

Well I can only tell ya my experience and before I posted back to you I actually hooked it up and tested it because I didn't want to put out bad info. Yeah, I ran into all the confusion about this too when I first was looking into it. I think maybe all the different experiences were because of all the SJCAM clones. The clones were/are inferior to the original. With my setup I turn the SJ4000 on, then go into the menu and select TV OUT and turn it ON. The screen will then go black. I'm now getting video streamed from my Boscam transmitter to the Boscam receiver. From the receiver I have the signal routed to a USB video capture device which plugs into my Winbook tablet. Now I fire up the Debut Video Capture software in Windows and can see that I'm getting live video feed and begin recording onto the tablet. Now I go back to the SJ4000 and hit the top button to begin recording onto the cam. I think you'll be happy with the 4000. If you run into problems just give me a holler. I'm no guru or expert by any means but since I have the same setup I can maybe save you some time and frustration should you run into problems.

BOT
Awesome, thanks again for the help. I feel much more confident now

No problem, that's what were all here for....

BOT

dtitus6297 ,,

hopefully it's not too late .. i own the SJ4000 (original & clone) / Xiaomi Yi / Mobius ..

IMHO if you are planning to use the cam for FPV then Mobius is the way to go .. it's lighter smaller and has a better AV Out stream quality .. plus u can set the aspect ratio for the AV Out (4:3 or 16:9) without affecting the HD recording settings .. unlike the other mentioned cams .. with the SJ4000 u can't change the aspect ratio for the AV Out and with Xiaomi Yi u have to choose a lower recording settings (1280X960) to get a full fpv screen (4:3) .. as for 1080p recording the Mobius is almost as good as the the other cams if not better (depends on your firmware and settings) .

Last edited:
Reactions: dtitus6297
dtitus6297 ,,

hopefully it's not too late .. i own the SJ4000 (original & clone) / Xiaomi Yi / Mobius ..

IMHO if you are planning to use the cam for FPV then Mobius is the way to go .. it's lighter smaller and has a better AV Out stream quality .. plus u can set the aspect ratio for the AV Out (4:3 or 16:9) without affecting the HD recording settings .. unlike the other mentioned cams .. with the SJ4000 u can't change the aspect ratio for the AV Out and with Xiaomi Yi u have to choose a lower recording settings (1280X960) to get a full fpv screen (4:3) .. as for 1080p recording the Mobius is almost as good as the the other cams if not better (depends on your firmware and settings) .

The Mobius is certainly a good cam too but the reason I decided against it at the time was that the Walkera gimbal would have to be heavily modded to accommodate it because of the odd shape of the Mobius. Maybe since then there has been a better way to hook it up to the gimbal though.

BOT

Reactions: dtitus6297
The Mobius is certainly a good cam too but the reason I decided against it at the time was that the Walkera gimbal would have to be heavily modded to accommodate it because of the odd shape of the Mobius. Maybe since then there has been a better way to hook it up to the gimbal though.

BOT
Hobbyking sells a kit to relocate the lense on a mobius cam and it comes with a new frame too, so basically it makes it the shape of a gopro. That way it can be mounted in any gimbal. It was still lighter than a gopro too.

I broke down and bought a gopro 3 black for the better video quality along with fpv at the same time and compatibility with the walkera g2d plastic. I'm happy but my wallet isnt...lol

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic