SJ4000 or GoPro

Reaction score
I added the Walkera 2D gimbal to my Phantom. Love having smooth video :)

My initial though was to replace the FC40 camera with an SJ4000 (fits nicely on the gimbal) and the use the FC40 camera on the front to provide FPV.

But, now that I have added the tilt function, it occurs to me that I will be guessing what the camera is pointing at. So now I am thinking I should not use the FC40 and replace the SJ4000 (which hasn't arrived yet) and a GoPro Hero 3 White which should give FPV view using the GoPro app (unless I missed something).

Anyone have a similar setup (either way) and can opine on that?

And...is anyone interested in an unused SJ4000 ;)

I've got a SJ4000 on a cheap gimbal also, and I've been flying with the FC40 cam for FPV as you describe.

I've also got somewhere around 45 minutes of video which is 95% framed completely wrong because I had no idea what my camera was pointed at.

So you've got a good reason to be asking this. You also don't have a good solution in a GoPro, because their Wifi video streaming is TERRIBLE just like the wifi on my SJ4000. You'll lose connection to the camera at very short range and possibly not be able to get it back.

The only GOOD solution to FPV is to feed the video output of your camera into a video transmitter and use a dedicated Tx/Rx set for your video feed.

Alternately, consider trying to figure a way to piggyback the FC40 cam onto your gimbal (and adjust your gimbal to keep it balanced). I'm trying to mess with this now, because I'm done spending money on my Phantom for a little while. Somehow it has much better performance than most wifi action cams, but wifi is sadly just not the right solution to this problem in the long run.

So you can't go FPV with a SJ4000? Or it's just crap?

I guess the way to go with GoPro, is the same as they do with the H3-3D?

the sj4009 WiFi model is actually way less leggy than the GoPro so it could be usable for fpv but they both have crappy range. I've been trying to work with a repeater but it's pretty unreliable, and the app kinda sucks (barely runs at all on my Kindle Fire which has the best WiFi of anything I've used) so I keep going back to the FC40 cam.

Thanks for the info. That's a shame. I'd like to move away from the FC40 camera one day. I've seen those Chinese versions of the GoPro and thought they'd be good with one of those Chinese Gimbals. But I guess not?

Or can you do with the SJ4000, what you can with the GoPro (Attach a video receiver and antenna and link it to a monitor ect)?

PsychopathRC said:
Or can you do with the SJ4000, what you can with the GoPro (Attach a video receiver and antenna and link it to a monitor ect)?

That's what I did. Well, kinda, sorta. I have an SJ4000 on a Walkera gimbal and love it. Least expensive way to get stable HD footage. But, I wanted a decent FPV as well so I bought a Boscam TS321 Transmitter & RC302 Receiver. Haven't had the time yet to work out the kinks in the FPV but I'm optimistic it'll do what I want it to. Regarding the SJ4000, SJCAM has come out with the upgraded SJ5000+ but it looks like they've sold out of the inventory they had so it may take a little time for them to get restocked but I'd still wait for that one, actually I did. Got my order in but waiting.....

Ah right! Let me know how it goes for you please! I want to do what you're doing basically, lol. Do you know if we can get an OSD also? Pretty easy to fit one into the Phantom, but will it work with the SJ4000 or SJ5000.. That's the question

PsychopathRC said:
Do you know if we can get an OSD also? Pretty easy to fit one into the Phantom, but will it work with the SJ4000 or SJ5000.. That's the question

For me it's "baby steps" first.. ;)
Once I get the video from the SJCAM to my tablet and at a decent range, telemetry was my next project. I kind of like the idea and thread of getting a crashed Parrot AR2 cheap off Ebay and gutting it for the cams, sensors and telemetry on a FC40 but it seems like many others have caught on to this to do the same thing. Prices for even a crashed Parrot AR2 have risen steady lately. I'll be sure to post my progress as soon as I "have" progress... :D As a kid, you have all the time in the world but not the resources for the toys you'd like. Once an adult you gain the resources but at the cost of time... sigh, such is life....

Hahaha! Good luck! I've seen a few topics on that. Looks quite 'fiddly' though and some people seem to say it's not working for them :shock:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic