Situational awareness when flying FPV only

Reaction score
You should always do line of sight. Etc. But I've only been flying indoors for now and experiencing the drone his way. But this issue about improving situational awareness with the FPV has me thinking.

I fly in tight hallways and doorways indoors and I always do so by looking at the drone. There is no way I can rely on just looking at the camera FPV to achieve this without the props hitting something. Not at this moment with my skill level. But the ability to rely only on camera feed is what it ought to be if one were serious about FPV. And indoor flying demands the utmost precision and situational awareness when flying, unlike outdoor flying with more room to spare for drifting around to really drive home this point.

The way the camera is right now, with the narrow field of view, it's just not doable IMO. I am too unaware of my surroundings. I also don't know how far something is away from me as the depth of perception is hard to gauge. I can't tell what is to the left, right, top, or bottom of me.

So what are some tips or mods do you know of where you dramatically improve situational awareness of your drone in FPV mode?

-Maybe add a yard stick out in front where it can be observed with the camera view, so you know where your edge of the propellers are?

-Maybe rig up additional FPV cameras to get more viewing perspectives? Maybe a wide angle front facing FPV camera?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic