Sitting at the bottom of a lake... What will I find?

Reaction score
So I thought I had more clearance above the waves over Memorial Day, but I did not and I sunk my P3A off the shore of our local lake, about 300 feet out, and depth is about 30 feet there. Being that we live on a (relatively) clear lake in Oklahoma, I've said every summer I'm going to learn to scuba dive and get my certification, and well this is finally prompting me to do it. It'll probably mid mid July before I actually dive and get it, so my question is, what should I expect? I've already replaced it with a P3P, but just wondering if I'd be able to salvage anything from this phantom?

I recently lost my GoPro Hero 3+ in a creek while kayaking in Florida. I can't even imagine what it would be like to loose my P4 :confused:. Since the lake is probably freshwater (unless its closed off) you may be able to salvage something. Definitely not the battery though. Also, I'm not sure how well it would do sitting in the lake for a month.

Yeah that's my biggest question, what's it going to be like sitting at 30ft below surface for 30-45 days. I'm really kicking myself for not learning to dive earlier. I would have had that retrieved within hours.

It will probably be covered in silt by then. Take a canoe or small boat out to it now and drop a rope with a snag hook best connected to a white rope that you can watch as it goes down. I snagged a trolling motor off of the bottom of a lake, brought it up, pulled the battery out of the truck and we used it for years. It started right up. We saw the chrome and it was calling to us :) The hook that we had was about 4", not sure what they have for sizes these days but -

Bass Pro Shops Snaggin' Hooks | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

Reactions: Digdat0
It will probably be covered in silt by then. Take a canoe or small boat out to it now and drop a rope with a snag hook best connected to a white rope that you can watch as it goes down. I snagged a trolling motor off of the bottom of a lake, brought it up, pulled the battery out of the truck and we used it for years. It started right up. We saw the chrome and it was calling to us :) The hook that we had was about 4", not sure what they have for sizes these days but -

Bass Pro Shops Snaggin' Hooks | Bass Pro Shops: The Best Hunting, Fishing, Camping & Outdoor Gear

I recently lost my GoPro Hero 3+ in a creek while kayaking in Florida. I can't even imagine what it would be like to loose my P4 :confused:. Since the lake is probably freshwater (unless its closed off) you may be able to salvage something. Definitely not the battery though. Also, I'm not sure how well it would do sitting in the lake for a month.
Sorry for your misfortune.... I had to chuckle... remembering a video I saw. Here is a video that might cheer you up... this is why i chuckled...

Drone Fish Video...

Well 57 days later, me a recent SCUBA certified diver (and thousands of dollars of equipment later {i thought UAV's we're an expensive hobby, SCUBA can get crazy!}) We take the boat to the exact coordinates of her last transmission, after the anchor was set on the boat we had drifted about 40-50 feet from the spot she went down (according the last known coordinates) so starting from the anchor I work my way towards that direction and about 50 feet out, there she lays. (I had zero battery left in my GoPro, I can't believe I even got these 3 seconds).

I don't believe she'll fly again :) But i am glad I got certified to dive, that is an amazing new hobby that I am really looking forward to doing more of. If you have the places and the means, I would definitely recommend it.

Side note: SD Card came out like a champ. After wiping down, it looks brand new. I wont be using it again, but still cool. Weird enough though, the low rez video cache from the remote recorded all the way to splash down (you could see the actual splash). The High Def footage from the card stopped recording about a half second before splash down, almost like i hit the stop recording button, but I know I didn't
IsuhYTj - Imgur.gif
GOPR0268.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2945.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2948.JPG
IMG_2997.JPG
IMG_2998.JPG
IMG_2999.JPG

Reactions: Reed L and Digdat0
That's AMAZING!! I think it's fantastic that you found her... And even more fantastic that you took up scuba as a hobby.

I've always wanted to scuba, but I'm terrified .....

.... Not of scuba, but of what it'll cost me!!

In all seriousness though, glad you were able to find her and if nothing else, retrieve your memory card!

This is totally awesome that you found it. I'm totally impressed. And BTW I'm a certified scuba diver as well. My wife and I got to Cancun and other locals and we love it. I would put scuba as my first hobby that I love, the the drone. But drones as almost as much fun, but more accessible and less expensive. But a similar buzz. Congrats on finding it. Just to say you did it.

Yeah that's my biggest question, what's it going to be like sitting at 30ft below surface for 30-45 days. I'm really kicking myself for not learning to dive earlier. I would have had that retrieved within hours.

dude, its 30 feet, even when out of shape I could hit 30 feet.

get a weight belt practice in your pool, you'd be surprised how easy it is to get down to 30 ft. remember when you come up your lungs will expand so you won't be hurting for O2 that much

also, who says you need to be certified to scuba:)

I see you got it, nice find!

ummm did you say you live in Oklahoma ?? what in the world? there is no ocean near you, lol.

come down to S FL. Mini season is in 2 days and I'll take you to dive and come back with some delicious meals in your hands :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair