Single joystick on controller?

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten a single joystick like those used by PC's for flight control?
Rather than using the dual sticks in the controller?
I have seen a couple of videos where it's being done.
But how?

I suppose you could do it with a computerised RC controller, like a Taranis maybe?
One stick for forward and banked turns by mixing the channels. The other stick to up and down... but you'd lose the ability to fly sideways.

it could be done a few ways, use the main handle as the right stick on the tranny and the thumb stick on top of the handle as the left stick on the tranny? another option perhaps more intuitive would be to use the main handle as the right stick and use the twisting axis of the handle to do yaw. throttle only could then be on the thumb stick at the top? a more complicated option would be to do the 3 main controls on the main stick as just stated previously, have a separate slider for throttle control and use the thumb stick on top to pan and tilt the camera??

if the main handle had a loop type trigger that worked push/pull like car throttle triggers on some 3 channel trannies rather than the conventional pull only trigger that could do throttle instead of the thumb switch on top or a separate slider. just a case of mapping pot outputs to the relevant channels so not too much of an issue for an electronically and technically minded person ( not me )

I am working on a mod that would give a second operator camera control (tilt and pan). Is that what you have in mind?

Why would you do this?

Is it how you learned from gaming or something?

Curious if there is a serious desire for this or if it's more of an academic pursuit.

N017RW said:
Why would you do this?

Is it how you learned from gaming or something?

Curious if there is a serious desire for this or if it's more of an academic pursuit.

I think the 3 main axis controls work like this on the Microsoft flight sim and presumably others as there are no pedals for rudder. throttle and flaps etc are key strokes but I did have a stick where throttle was a rotary slider on the base of the joystick, 'sidewinder' was the joystick IIRC

OK.

I guess as and 'old school' flyer, and never really a 'gamer' by today's definitions, I prefer the dual-stick config.

Cheers!

Old-school fancy joysticks had 4 axes:
- regular up/down/left right on joystick
- joystick twist left/right
- an additional "throttle" slider on the base.
So it could be done with just a simple wiring job, assuming compatible pots all around, if you really wanted to.

Some of you apparently have no idea what a single joystick is and does.
Some old airplanes used to use joysticks to fly with. Some new jet airliners do as well.
I've even seen them on huge ships.

With a single joystick, the position of the stick determines what the aircraft does.
You might have to include a switch that tells it to ascend and descend.
That could be put on the handle and controlled by your fingers like the firing trigger used to.

I'm just being curious to know how it could be done.

I'm pretty sure they all still have rudder pedals, as well as a separate throttle. Not comparable with a game joystick. The flight stick (yoke) is essentially a combination of pitch and roll.
Just like the right stick on the controller (mode 2). The pedals and throttle are what we have on the left stick.
You CAN/do fly a plane with just pitch and roll. Using the banking angle you can turn while keeping the elevator up. You pull a plane through a turn that way.
This can all be done with one stick, provided you have pitch and roll on the same stick (depending on what mode you use).
A pilot always wants separate rudder pedals. They are much needed for take off and landing in crosswind or bleeding off speed fast, while banking sideways into the wind, as well as steering the nose in the desired direction while in a turn.

With a Phantom however, changing pitch or roll doesn't induce a turn. It will move sidewards (AND DOWN in manual mode). You always need a yaw controller (pedals in a plane) to turn and throttle (of course).

So indeed, if you have a 3rd axis on the stick you could do it.

Separating the throttle from the yaw would be a handy thing for panning shots, because you can concentrate on the panning completely without interfering with the throttle. I find myself often descending or ascending when yawing. I would like a dedicated knob I could twist for panning, overriding the yaw stick, in combination with a non self centring throttle stick. Possible on my next 9-14 channel radio for sure.

Conclusion (mine is) nice idea, however I would prefer to keep things even more separate instead of combining everything in just one stick. It would make filming less ergonomic I guess.

There was never any doubt that it could be done and I'm sure it has.

I've seen full scale cockpit mock-ups with all the 'mechanicals' connected to the radio system's pots, joysticks, and switches. The whole simulator rotated to maintain LOS with the model.

Having previous r/c flying experience I'd personally find it difficult to try and change now.

Suwaneeguy said:
But how?

I want one.

Link and/or pic please. :D

Thank you.

lake_flyer said:
With a Phantom however, changing pitch or roll doesn't induce a turn. It will move sidewards (AND DOWN in manual mode). You always need a yaw controller (pedals in a plane) to turn and throttle (of course).
Slightly OT, but the Phantom descends when moving laterally in manual mode for the same reason an airplane does; there's less lift in a turning vector. In an airplane you add elevator or throttle to maintain altitude in a turn, and the Phantom in manual mode is no different. The controller in the Phantom does this for you in the ATTI or GPS modes. It's just one of the challenges in flying in the manual mode.

Suwaneeguy said:
But how?
It would not be difficult to do, but like others have asked, why? Are you planning to get into drone racing or drone wars?
Can you post a link to a video where it was done?

I personally never liked the force feedback stick.

At least not the one Microsoft offered a while back.

I found it created fatigue.

thongbong said:
Heres the solution. Was thinking about picking one up myself.

http://emrlabs.com/index.php?pageid=1

That looks perfect. No need to mess with rewiring at all. Almost.
Has anyone looked into the DJI remote and finding the PPM signal as it's sent to the tx module?
(ie, where to plug in the trainer cable from the ForceFly?)

I suppose you could always just get a Futaba TX (with a trainer port) and bind that with the Phantom.
But it seems like overkill when all you need is the TX module. Even if you could just use the
FASST TX module alone, that costs considerably more than a DJ6 TX.

(Of course, if you're using a 5.8Ghz TX, then there's no option besides DJI's TX.)

Oh, wait, the newer DJI TX's have a trainer port plug. Is than input or output or both?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20