Since I am new to this Drone thing

I did a lot of practice with a Hubsan X4 because I wanted to fly the Phantom in Attitude mode (and I'm not rich, couldn't afford crashing it early on my flights).

That way you also save the Phantom batteries for more productive flights.

Something like a Blade Nano QX might help you hone your flying skills. Don't expect it to fly like a Phantom though (none of the inexpensive drones do).

My kid can fly my drone. It's that easy. Way easier than the AR Parrot drone I learned on.

Remember this...
DO NOT fly facing yourself! I bet 90% of first timer accidents are because people start filming themselves at the controls, then look up and try to go left and it goes right! Right into a tree!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
Also, learn CSC commands. I did just what I warned about above... It hit a tree and flipped over on the ground and went completely crazy! I ran over to shut it off and couldn't get control over it. Nothing I did stopped the motors.

So I finally managed to yank the matters out! Also doing this to stop it flipping out is a good way to slice your arm open!

Lastly, go slow, take it easy. Don't do what you see on this forum. Do what you know you can manage.

I've had three Phantoms, and after my first wreck I've never wrecked again.

All the above advice is good. The phantom is one of the easiest to fly, and one of the easiest to get over-confident on. Mostly it flies itself using GPS to hold position. The advantage of flying a non-GPS drone for practice is when the phantom loses GPS signal and forces you to fly in atti mode. ("attitude" mode without the stabilization of GPS) where you have to control it's every move. In atti mode it will drift with the wind. So getting comfortable flying a cheaper drone that doesn't hold it's position automatically is always good practice.

Yeah husband x4 is a great learning drone and much fun to fly! Once you're confident on its expert mode, I'd say you sort of master drone flying basics and a bit more.

I'd like to find such a cheap drone with tilt control, that would up the skill!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I wouldn't waste my time on smaller harder to fly drones personally. Highly suggest you get up high above obstructions in an open area and learn to fly orientation like nose in/ out, learn to fly the "front" and get comfortable with the different inputs. The P4 is super easy to learn on and you'll regret going to a lower platform.

Reactions: varangian
My kid can fly my drone. It's that easy. Way easier than the AR Parrot drone I learned on.

Remember this...
DO NOT fly facing yourself! I bet 90% of first timer accidents are because people start filming themselves at the controls, then look up and try to go left and it goes right! Right into a tree!

Precisely why a toy drone is a good thing for practicing orientation. If you panic as it faces you, an X5C isn't going to break if it hits something.

The p4 holds altitude even in atti mode so the wind will push it around but it won't rise or fall if your not telling it to, most cheep ones do not have altitude hold so flying them is a lot harder

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Precisely why a toy drone is a good thing for practicing orientation. If you panic as it faces you, an X5C isn't going to break if it hits something.
I practiced alot on a syma x5sw and like snowghost said it can take a crash without breaking itself or other things, the weight less than half a pound. One thing with learning on a small syma is that I can fly in atti very well and when the wind is not to high I find my videos a lot smoother when I transition my flight paths.

Don.t both with a pratice drone. Practice using the simulator that the dji app has. Its all u need.
Flying the cheap drones may put u off, the phantom is way easy to fly a kid could do it

I tend to disagree, understanding the basics of quad fliying with little to no assistance is essential imho in case electronics go crazy.

Some experience in driting and wind currents with no aid is defo a plus to my eyes...

But yeah, the P4 is easy to fly....

That's not good advice.

highly recommend it before flying a phantom, if you ever lose GPS you'll be comfortable in atti mode. i started with blade nano qx and made an obstacle course . if anyone wants to fly one of my phantoms they have to be able to make it though the course without hitting anything with the blade nano ;)

Reactions: John1960
Buy the practice drone and use it to it's full extent. This will prepare you to fly the P4 manually, which you will need to do on occasion when it loses gps and goes into manual mode. Flying on your own is a lot different then flying with gps and when it goes out, you need to know how to fly on your own with no help from the drone.

Reactions: burma419
I'm sure the P4 would be fine, however the Blade Nano is a real bit of fun to fly and you can fly it in you living room or kitchen etc when it's raining. Mind you you have to buy a tx to go with it, but it's a blast!:):):)

All of your advice has been helpful. I got both drones today and I flew the Husband 3 times to get used to it. The DJI I just opened it up to verify the contents of what I bought. I am charging the controller right now and verified the fit of my tablet to the controller mount. Next up will be to connect everything and check for any firmware updates. I have been watching a lot of video's on DJI's website about all of the software features and what they do. Now I need to digest all of the information. I would like to start at an open area which would be one 10 minutes away from my home and free of any flying restrictions. So Saturday may be the virgin flight of the P4 for me weather permitting.

Reactions: Adam T and Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31