simultaneous dual band wifi (2.4 & 5.8ghz) on ipad ?

Reaction score
Hi all,
I and my son are new to the drone community and need a little help to solve the wifi riddle.... We have a phantom 2 (not vision) and have upgraded the camera (and gimbal) to a wifi unit that uses wifi @ 5.8ghz. The P2 uses 2.4ghz to control it.
If we buy an ipad with simultaneous dual band wifi capability will the pilot/go app show both the drone's status AND the camera view layer?
We'd like to avoid using a dedicated 5.8ghz monitor/antenna unit, eg. a boscam fpv ts351 (ie. a second screen)
Note: prior to the upgrade the original camera, presumably using 2.4ghz, worked fine on Samsung s5 phone..... but we wanted a gimbal to get away from 'fpv view'.
Does anyone use an ipad with their P2 ?

Yes it's 'standard issue' on iPads and some other apple devices, there's plenty of info out there about it. but will it work as above is the question ?

All modern devices have 2.4 and 5.8 GHz WiFi, but I have yet to hear of a device that can connect to two different bands/networks at once. "Simultaneous dual band WiFi" only exists in routers producing the WiFi signal.

thanks...... You are correct about many routers.
I speak from a technical IT background.
but...... As I understand it..... many non european android and apple devices have both, but 5.8 is restricted in europe (it's there but turned off or down to 5.7 in many android devices ... if device is rooted it can be turned back on). Newer apple devices have the capability to use both 2.4 AND 5.8 simultaneously.
An iPad for instance can connect (receive) to BOTH 2.4 AND 2.8 simultaneously and use the 1)best signal or 2)both or 3)two 5.8 channels combined to effectively double the speed.
Therefore it should be able to receive both 2.4 and 5.8 from a drone and camera combo.
The real question is .... if and when it does will the pilots app combine the data from both in the 'piloting app' and the 'camera overlay'.
Any DJI tech boffins out there ?

thanks...... You are correct about many routers.
I speak from a technical IT background.
but...... As I understand it..... many non european android and apple devices have both, but 5.8 is restricted in europe (it's there but turned off or down to 5.7 in many android devices ... if device is rooted it can be turned back on). Newer apple devices have the capability to use both 2.4 AND 5.8 simultaneously.
An iPad for instance can connect (receive) to BOTH 2.4 AND 2.8 simultaneously and use the 1)best signal or 2)both or 3)two 5.8 channels combined to effectively double the speed.
Therefore it should be able to receive both 2.4 and 5.8 from a drone and camera combo.
The real question is .... if and when it does will the pilots app combine the data from both in the 'piloting app' and the 'camera overlay'.
Any DJI tech boffins out there ?

Problem is the 2.4GHz frequency used by the P2 and the GoPro's wifi as one will interfere with the other. By sides that the 2.4GHZ wifi of the GoPro will not only interfere but doesn't have the flight range. We use 5.8GHz for FPV operation which consist of a transmitter, iOSD and monitor/receiver.

Now there are methods which will allow use of either iPad or IPhone and that would be the use of a datalink or lightbridge system for a ground station.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers