Simple way to increase speed/agility?

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to an inspire for all my aerial photography jobs so now I want to "convert" my P2V into a fun little speed demon to play around with.

I was under the impression that I could simply adjust the angular tilt of the bird so that it simply goes much faster. However, after reading about gains and such, I am even more confused than when I started.

Basic question is this, is it possible to adjust the bird so that is is much faster in terms of speed or overall agility? I am not concerned about the camera or smooth flying. I want it to just fly faster.

Thanks peeps...

EDIT: I meant to post this in the Phantom 2 Vision area. Sorry

The gains do not affect the angle of tilt, they affect the rate at which the desired input is reached (Proportional Control).

So if the gain is too high the chosen input is reached quicker, but the setpoint can overshoot causing an oscillaton or hunting around the desired input. If the gain is too low, there will be little or no hunting but the time for the aircraft to react to the input will be much longer.

The easiest way to achieve greater speed and agility is to fly in manual mode. You will get much greater angles of tilt - that's for sure :eek:. But this can be a steep learning curve, expect some damage along the way. Much better to do this with an inexpensive quad rather than a Phantom IMHO.

Last edited:
There's two categories of gains.

One set, Basic, is for the attitude control loop which uses the motors to make automatic [RPM] changes on all 4 axes to keep it level/stable based on the aircraft's motion from the IMU.

The other, Attitude, (oddly named) is for stick response-time in Pitch and Roll only.

As as mentioned neither will make it faster.

Manual mode is your option without upgrading hardware. You could also look for ways to lighten the quad.

With out risking flying in manual mode the only other good way to make your p2 fly faster is to down grade the soft ware and the firmware to version 1.8 so it will not have the clamped down speed limit that dji put in to the software a few updates back which limits the tilt angle to only 20 degrees max. which serverly limited there top speeds.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj