Simple Method to Detect Home Location Set

Reaction score
Switching to Naza mode was a good move for me. I'm now more comfortable because I feel like I have more control.

What do you guys think? Is this an easy method to test for home location lock?

Set up and take off as usual. Push it out about 50 feet and spin it around so the camera is facing me. Switch S2 to IOC Home Lock and pull back on the stick. If it flies towards me rather than away from me I feel secure that I've got a reasonable home position set. Is it that simple?

D_Tshudy said:
Switching to Naza mode was a good move for me. I'm now more comfortable because I feel like I have more control.

What do you guys think? Is this an easy method to test for home location lock?

Set up and take off as usual. Push it out about 50 feet and spin it around so the camera is facing me. Switch S2 to IOC Home Lock and pull back on the stick. If it flies towards me rather than away from me I feel secure that I've got a reasonable home position set. Is it that simple?

Absolutely. You could go a little further and bring it all the way back to within 10m of home and watch it switch to CL. It will look like it takes an angular turn along the CL line. Since you are only 50 ft away it will only take a few more seconds for a little more reassurance. I do this every time as well. As an alternative I will switch S1 down and watch it RTH and wait for it to hover above me, then switch back to S1 up and off I go. I like your thinking.

Great idea. I have been reluctant to change my settings from stock Vision mode, but your test makes sense.
I saw someone post step by step instructions on how to change to Naza mode, but can't find it. Can someone post the link/thread? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is first thread on this forum that has talked me out of using just "Vision" mode. Thank You!

plasmo said:
Great idea. I have been reluctant to change my settings from stock Phantom mode, but your test makes sense.
I saw someone post step by step instructions on how to change to Naza mode, but can't find it. Can someone post the link/thread? Thx

In the Assistant app, see a button at the top that says 'Phantom' next to another word 'English'. Press that button.

Good thread which describes what I started doing very soon after getting a P1.
My V+ it was switched over to Naza after the first flight mainly to do this check.

With the V+ it is way to easy to be absorbed in connecting the app and fiddling with the camera settings and miss what the LEDs are doing re. homelock.
The P1 with it's LED on the side facing you was much easier to see.

Just because the Phantom flashes fast green doesn't necessarily mean the home lock is where YOU are; It just means it's locked on to a position that it believes is home. I've seen my Phantom signal a home lock with as few as 4 satellites. How likely is it that the point it thinks is home is nowhere near your actual position, when the data it's using sucks? VERY.

Instead, fire up the phantom, WAIT for 6 or more sats, RESET the home lock (toggle S2 5 times), observe the home lock acknowledgement and then use Find My Phantom to verify it's near you. Now you can be sure you've got a good lock without even taking off.

When downloading the Assistant software to change to NAZA mode,
which program do you use ?

The "Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.0"
or
"Phantom RC Assistant Software v1.1" (for Windows) ???

I tried using the Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.0, and hooked up both the Phantom as well as the Controller by mini-USB to the computer, but the program does not recognize the phantom.
Can someone tell me exactly what is hooked up to the computer (the phantom or the controller) and WHERE do I plug in the miniUSB plug? thanks

plasmo said:
which program are we running?

or

Also, what is the "DJI WIN Driver Installer" file used for? thx

The Phantom Assistant software is what you need, with the computer connected to the Phantom. Naza mode is enabled by the button on the top right. The default is "Phantom" - change it to "Naza". Then IOC must be enabled separately in the "Advanced > IOC" tab for the CL and HL functions to work. The driver must be installed for Windows to communicate with the Phantom (the Mac version does not require a driver).

The RC Assistant is used to calibrate and update the controller - not part of this process.

sar104 said:
The Phantom Assistant software is what you need, with the computer connected to the Phantom. Naza mode is enabled by the button on the top right. The default is "Phantom" - change it to "Naza". Then IOC must be enabled separately in the "Advanced > IOC" tab for the CL and HL functions to work. The driver must be installed for Windows to communicate with the Phantom (the Mac version does not require a driver).

The RC Assistant is used to calibrate and update the controller - not part of this process.

Thanks sar104, this makes more sense.
What is actually connected to the PC (the phantom or the controller) with the miniusb plug? And does everything need to be turned ON (including phantom itself, or Wifi extender, etc) to set to Naza mode? thanks

plasmo said:
sar104 said:

Thanks sar104, this makes more sense.
What is actually connected to the PC (the phantom or the controller) with the miniusb plug? And does everything need to be turned ON (including phantom itself, or Wifi extender, etc) to set to Naza mode? thanks

Connect the Phantom to the PC via USB, with the Phantom and controller turned on (just as if you were going to fly). The Assistant software will see it automatically - the blue connection light in the lower left of the Assistant window will start blinking to show that it is connected.

Do you also need to turn on the range extender?

plasmo said:

or

I tried using the Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.0, and hooked up both the Phantom as well as the Controller by mini-USB to the computer, but the program does not recognize the phantom.
Can someone tell me exactly what is hooked up to the computer (the phantom or the controller) and WHERE do I plug in the miniUSB plug? thanks

i installed the win drivers first with the phantom connected
then installed *** software 3
then rc *** 1.1

i followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695FLzWT_ko
and cal compass when i went out

worked fine with me

hope this helped

4wd said:
Good thread which describes what I started doing very soon after getting a P1.
My V+ it was switched over to Naza after the first flight mainly to do this check.

With the V+ it is way to easy to be absorbed in connecting the app and fiddling with the camera settings and miss what the LEDs are doing re. homelock.
The P1 with it's LED on the side facing you was much easier to see.

Someone had the idea of packing a cheap plastic mirror in the flight case and putting it on top of the flight case under the Phantom so you can see the lights a lot more clearly. I'm looking for a cheap mirror... :)

-slinger

kescot said:
plasmo said:

or

i installed the win drivers first with the phantom connected
then installed *** software 3
then rc *** 1.1

i followed this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695FLzWT_ko
and cal compass when i went out

worked fine with me

hope this helped

Awesome. This is exactly what I needed. Thanks!

Question on the video: When starting the calibration, he says to remove all the props. Do the props affect calibration, or is he just removing them so they don't get bumped when he lays down the Phantom?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31