Simple FPV

Ooh... I thought this was new since it's 668gl. I got an adapter though that let's the component connect to this, whatever this is. Adapter cost like $2 so I can make it work. Hooked it up and it's clear enough though I'm seeing some lines running up the screen.

The monitor battery indicator is on top of my satellite indicator. I need to get rid of that. Will have to do a flight and range check sometime.

Well returned my avl58 after I stopped getting video out. Getting another in its place, hope this works out and it is the avl58 that was giving trouble (and nothing else).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got my replacement AVL58 today, spent all evening working like a surgeon to put everything back together. The FPV is working and it looks great. I just hope it doesn't stop working like the last time.

Here's what I'm seeing though, there are lines or waves going down the screen but I can live with that. It's not too bad. What I don't like is that I am getting a periodic blue screen blip. Now I know if I touch the connector in the back of the monitor I will get that but I had the screen on a tripod and I wasn't touching it so that should not have been happening at all. I have soldered all of the connectors for the transmitter and the mini iosd and they are covered with heat shrink. So I don't think it's a bad wiring join..

What can I try to eliminate the blip?

Monitor set up, I stuck the transmitter on the back of a lilliput monitor. This is a plain monitor with no receiver, I had to use a bnc adapter to be able to connect the component connector from the avl58 receiver to the monitor.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljdke3fik3rwp ... .53.40.jpg

This is the underneath of the phantom 2, with the avl58 transmitter and the mini iosd.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/licbipex1s3yg ... .52.39.jpg

Just a note to myself in case I need it later: :D
I used ravecreative's wiring diagram http://www.ravecreative.co.uk/phantom2/photo4.jpg

So here's what I noticed, I'm flying with the avl58 and mini iosd. Every so often the screen will turn blue for about a second then the video will be back while I'm flying.

When my battery got to 30% I landed. Sat with the p2 next to me and I saw the blue screen blip maybe once in 5 min. The video was pretty stable.

I took the p2 up and walked with it and the video blipped several times. [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

The blue screen appears when there is signal loss. I specifically chose a monitor that does not get the blue screen. If the signal is weak, you see the image with some static instead of a blue screen.

Hmm... But should that be happening when the avl58 rx and tx are within 1 to 5m of each other?

Almmohd said:
Hmm... But should that be happening when the avl58 rx and tx are within 1 to 5m of each other?

I've wondered this myself. On any monitor/rcvr that I use. Could it be that the signal is too strong?? Does anyone not get this behavior?

Well I don't think I had this problem with the first avl58 I had gotten. I missed the live chat with b&h again, looks like their DJI support staff leave earlier than their other support staff [DISAPPOINTED FACE]

Oh, is there a cheap, light monitor I can use for FPV that won't do this?

Almmohd said:
Oh, is there a cheap, light monitor I can use for FPV that won't do this?

If your referring to the blue screen thing I bought a D702 w/built in receiver from Foxtech for $150 but there are others.

LuvMyTJ - oh I was hoping for a monitor without a receiver since I have a receiver from the avl58.

Skeeter - I'm wondering if I'm affected by the orientation of the avl58's TX on the phantom. I have it sticking out to the right. The first time I had it sticking out the back.

Noticed something, I held the p2 in one hand and the monitor and AVL58 in the other. I swung the p2 forward in an arc and video was clear, no blue screen. No matter how I moved it there was no interruption in the video.

Swung the p2 in an arc behind me and the screen flashed blue and then the picture resumed. Every time I got between the p2 and the AVL58 the screen flashes blue.

I'll try again sometime tomorrow to verify.

Went up to about 100m, the FPV was pretty good. Didn't get the blue screen much, probably about twice. Rotated the phantom and the video almost faded out completely at one point during the rotation. Didn't explore this much because the sky was darkening, rain clouds were moving in and I could feel the temperature falling.

I'm finally out somewhere where I can fly about. So far I've only been able to go out to 360m. At that point the P2 is a speck in the sky and difficult to spot (for me, that is). Sometimes I lose it in switching from looking at it to my monitor. The IOC and home lock helps me out there.

My video is breaking up right about the 360m mark. I'm on channel 1, I haven't tried any others. The video quality on my monitor looks poor at times, kind of fuzzy so it's difficult to distinguish stuff on the ground. Could be because the AVL58's antenna is not facing me.

It's a bit difficult to because I still haven't received the monitor mount from Banggood or Amazon.

Anyone else care to share their experience with the AVL58? Should I be switching channels? Is their a split antenna for the AVL58, have them pointing in different directions? What can I do for better reception?

:) I stuck to channel 1 so far and I managed to get out to 800m. This is the first time I have ever gone out to this distance. Before this the furthest I had gone was 120m. I'm pretty happy with the AVL58 now, I brought the phantom back because I was flying along the coast and the area is not very accessible (and pretty much wilderness). I will still try the other channels to see if I get better performance.

I may give that mount a try, the amazon one is on the way so I'll give that a try first.

LuvMyTJ said:
My setup is a little different but I found a couple of channels that work on mine. I am experimenting with which one works the best for me. Also, if you want the perfect mount take a look at this thread. I bought one and love it.
http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6239&hilit=+mount

What kind of detail can you see on the ground through FPV? I am using a 7" lilliput monitor which has some pretty good resolution on it but I realise my video feed isn't so clear. Anyone have a DVR of their video transmitted from their phantom?

Just sharing a short clip of my first FPV flight here: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFl09NFaNkw[/youtube]

I have to expirement a little more. I am waiting for my repaired GoPro to come back to me as it had a focus problem. Other than the soft focus problem area it was clear. I record my FPV footage on my MacBook Air. Are you using a Gopro for capturing your footage? If so it should be clear.

I am using a gopro and I pull the video from the SD card but I meant how does the video look on the monitor you're using for FPV while you're flying. Mine has been a bit grainy. I need to do some more flights to check this out.

Guess you can't tell till your gopro is fixed?

It was OK, but I only used it briefly prior to sending my GP in for repair. I will record some footage for you when I get it back, supposedly o Friday. I also have recently received my clover style antennas and my patch antenna should be here soon too. Better signals should produce better visuals on my monitor. if you are using the standard dipole or "rubber ducky" style antenna switch to something better.
Take a look at this video for a good explanation on FPV antennas. -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6LuEhuU-l8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20