Simple FPV

Reaction score
I looked into getting the same one from them and it really is about $100 dearer than getting the components yourself.
I ended up grabbing all the stuff they used and came in with quite a saving.

I emailed them and they would have taken $30 - $40 off it but by the time they had replied I had already ordered elsewhere.

With the discount it may work out easier to pay the extra and get it quicker. (My items took 3 weeks or so to get to me)

I purchase one. Waiting on it to arrive. I looked and researched for about a week. Priced components and reliability. There are systems cheaper and with better parts. But for what I am going to do with it , this is perfect.

Thanks so much for your replies Matty and Cyber.

I had the vision ;) before, P2V, but there was a problem with it and I had to send it back to the dealer. I really liked seeing how many satellites it connected to, it's height and orientation from the app. Although, the height was rarely correct and then the compass went haywire and the GPS stopped working :( .

Can you tell me about the systems you researched Cyber or in your case I would like to here how the FPV performs.

Matty where did you buy your stuff, I usually buy from amazon and I am uncertain about the reliability and service that some of the hobby shops will provide. What has your experience been?

I have the deluxe package (Same as the link you posted with a slightly better monitor I think)

I've had it from the beginning of my Phantom 2 and it's been fine.

I got mine within 1 week of ordering from HeliPal in Hong Kong.

The only thing I am changing is the antenna..... going from the single things to the spiral type.

My reception is ok but it is sensitive to which way the phantom is oriented, ie if I hover 800ft away and slowly rotate the Phantom on the spot, I will experience a litle bit of picture break up at a certain angle.

I'm looking at either the Easy or Deluxe. For those that have the Deluxe, do you think the better monitor is worth the extra $50?

Almmohd said:
Matty where did you buy your stuff, I usually buy from amazon and I am uncertain about the reliability and service that some of the hobby shops will provide. What has your experience been?

I used a mix of places. I grabbed the Transmitter and Diversity Monitor from Banggood, the charger for the monitor from DealExtreme (Would not recommend them as its still not here after nearly a month) I then grabbed some wiring and the monitor mount for the controller off eBay.

In regards to charging the montior, you are supplied with a power cable that can be charged with a Lipo battery charger and I had a local shop just solder it onto a normal power pack and it works perfectly.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you should find it quite easy to do and save yourself some money in the process!

The owner of my local hobby shop has been brilliant and only charged me $30 (Aussie) to do all the soldering and wiring on mine and only charged me $6 to mod my cable to charge the monitor and he supplied the power pack.

Only downside is I am in Sydney Australia so depending on your location there may be a couple of thousand for air fares on top of the pricing I was charged! :lol:

SARC said:
I have the deluxe package (Same as the link you posted with a slightly better monitor I think)

I've had it from the beginning of my Phantom 2 and it's been fine.

I got mine within 1 week of ordering from HeliPal in Hong Kong.

The only thing I am changing is the antenna..... going from the single things to the spiral type.

My reception is ok but it is sensitive to which way the phantom is oriented, ie if I hover 800ft away and slowly rotate the Phantom on the spot, I will experience a litle bit of picture break up at a certain angle.

Good to know Sarc, 800ft though, hmm, the website gave the range of 500 to 800m. I wonder if they mixed up the unit. Do you get any lines moving across your display? And how long have you had your phantom by the way?

Here's something else I was thinking of getting
DJI AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link Kit
DJI iOSD Mini On Screen Display

What monitor could I get for this?

I can only speak for 2 items in the kit. The monitor and the monitor mount. That monitor looks to be the exact one I have minus the built in receiver and battery and I find it difficult to see on sunny days even with the hood. The mount is sturdy and does a good job but I don't like having to install and remove it each time to get my Tx in my case. If you aren't using a case then no worries.

SARC said:
<snip>The only thing I am changing is the antenna..... going from the single things to the spiral type.<snip>

Did the new antenna's work better? I assume you have the dual set. Even the video provided by the seller has a signal loss and random static.

I can recommend sticking a Patch Antenna on your receiver and a Spironet Antenna on your P2

http://www.immersionrc.com/product-...roduct_name=SpiroNET Patch, 5.8GHz CP Antenna

http://www.fatshark.com/product/1728.html

You're never going to get a perfect picture but these will help a lot! I get strange faint interference across the screen which seems to be being caused by the Zenmuse. (I've tried to reduce this by wrapping the video output cable around a Toroidal Ferrite Core but it's not done very much)

Thanks Goldfish/Cmac,

I've been weighing this against the DJI AVL58. I'm not sure what to get as yet.

Decided to go with the DJI AVL58 5.8 GHz Video Link Kit and DJI iOSD Mini On Screen Display. That and the p2 are on the way, I can't wait :D . Just hope it doesn't end with problems like the p2v.

Would the patch antenna work with this?

Got my P2 and gopro hero 3 today, no issues like I had with the P2V :D
First flight was great but I forgot to start the gopro recording :oops:
Second flight was awesome and the video on the gopro beats the P2V, I didn't fly for long. I just had to see what the video looked like on the PC. Should get my monitor in tomorrow and the avl58 will be in later this week. I ordered the cable and monitor mount from banggood, no sign of it as yet. Hope it gets here soon.

Is there an easy way to get the gopro's video off the sd card without having to take it off the gimbal?

Almmohd said:
Got my P2 and gopro hero 3 today, no issues like I had with the P2V :D
First flight was great but I forgot to start the gopro recording :oops:
Second flight was awesome and the video on the gopro beats the P2V, I didn't fly for long. I just had to see what the video looked like on the PC. Should get my monitor in tomorrow and the avl58 will be in later this week. I ordered the cable and monitor mount from banggood, no sign of it as yet. Hope it gets here soon.

Is there an easy way to get the gopro's video off the sd card without having to take it off the gimbal?

I just plug in the USB cable to the side of the GoPro and get the files that way...

Good to know Mav456, I bought a plain monitor on amazon: Lilliput 7-inch LCD monitor with HDMI. I figured if it didn't work out I could use it as a portable monitor for a ps3 or sell it to someone who wants a monitor for their car.

Had my second real flight today, went up higher. It's just so amazing how this video looks with the gopro hero 3+ and the gimbal makes it so smooth. It beats the P2V.

Got the monitor today, still waiting on the fpv stuff from B&H and the cable and mount from Banggood. Banggood has me jumpy I'm so used to Amazon.com

Got all the FPV stuff :D the Avl58, iosd mini, went out and bought tape, zip ties and stuff and got to work. Setup was reasonably easy but I messed up with the monitor and I still haven't gotten the xt60 adapter and cables from banggood. They're taking so long :(

I bought this monitor http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-monitor- ... ut+monitor thinking it had a component video input but it didn't. So I hooked up the transmitter to the battery using alligator clips and I used the tv to test the FPV. Now I just have to figure out how to lug the tv around when I fly :oops:

The mini iosd worked great once I updated it. I was surprised that the video looked a bit poor but then again the transmitter was indoors while the phantom was outside. It was nice watching FPV on big screen but I couldn't fly and watch. I need some practice. I am really surprised that the phantom was able to get satellites while indoors, the P2V never did that.

Anyone know what connectors I need to get this monitor to work with component video?

Almmohd said:
Got all the FPV stuff :D the Avl58, iosd mini, went out and bought tape, zip ties and stuff and got to work. Setup was reasonably easy but I messed up with the monitor and I still haven't gotten the xt60 adapter and cables from banggood. They're taking so long :(

I bought this monitor http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-monitor- ... ut+monitor thinking it had a component video input but it didn't. So I hooked up the transmitter to the battery using alligator clips and I used the tv to test the FPV. Now I just have to figure out how to lug the tv around when I fly :oops:

The mini iosd worked great once I updated it. I was surprised that the video looked a bit poor but then again the transmitter was indoors while the phantom was outside. It was nice watching FPV on big screen but I couldn't fly and watch. I need some practice. I am really surprised that the phantom was able to get satellites while indoors, the P2V never did that.

Anyone know what connectors I need to get this monitor to work with component video?

The model you got is the older Lilliput with component input. You should exchange it for the newer models, either 664/W or 663. The 664/W has the built in receiver and antenna for 5.8, as well as AV and HDMI inputs. The 663 has AV and HDMI, and comes with the AV to RCA cables.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20