Simensays RetroHouse™ T-model

Reaction score
Simensays RetroHouse™ T-model, protective housing for Tarot T-2D brushless gimbal & GoPro Hero 3.

RetroHood_ss1.jpg

RetroHood_ss2.jpg

RetroHood_ss3.jpg

Video with details on weight, balance & assembly: http://vimeo.com/74487556

RetroHood_r1.jpg

RetroHood_r2.jpg

RetroHood_r3.jpg

RetroHood_r4.jpg

RetroHood_r5.jpg

RetroHood_r6.jpg

RetroHood_r7.jpg

RetroHood_r8.jpg

RetroHood_c1.jpg

RetroHood_c2.jpg

RetroHood_c3.jpg

RetroHood_c4.jpg

RetroHood_c5.jpg

RetroHood_c6.jpg

RetroHood_c7.jpg

RetroHood_c8.jpg

Loving the look... Stunning design as always! Blows what I have been working on this weekend out of the water from an aesthetics perspective thats for sure!

Thanks man! It works better than it looks - functionality is key for all my work...
This is part of a bigger concept I have been working on for months now.

Yes, I have one with regular GoPro Mount also. I have it mounted on my Skydiving Helmet atm. Files are on Shapeways, but I haven't open for sales or made public yet. Also, there are lots of GoPro Frames avaiable on Shapeways, regular & reversed, with holes for cables etc...

My RetroHouse series do much more than just hold the camera though, they are protecive housing for the camera & lens...

At this stage it does preclude use of filters, yes - I am working on that as we speak.

Most people do not use filter though, there can be balance issues by using them also (too much weight added to the front), and the camera itself, including the lens, there is not protection at all on the stock gimbal. You see people starting to complain about broken cameras from flying/crashing with the new brushless gimbal these days.The RetroHouse™ series is a functional protection housing for the GoPro, but it will not fill all specific need one might have or take out the trash.

Still, I would like the possibility to add ND filters, and as mentioned this is something I am working on now. I am doing various testing with both 25mm & 37mm filters, different types of materials etc...

Here is a preview of the front plate that can take 37mm filters...

retrohouse_f_plate_sml_f1.jpg

retrohouse_f_plate_sml_f2.jpg

Also, I've made one to be used with a 25-37 mm stepup ring...

I like what I see so far. I really wanted your landing gear for my Phantom but could not find a source for the carbon fiber tubes at a reasonable delivery time or price, and nothing was available locally, so I settled for second choice. Sorry. I would have been more than happy to pay the asking price for a complete assembled set. Just sayin' :(

Glockindahaus said:
Side note: D3wey, I would buy this one -

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1192395 ... terialId=6

But because I use it for FPV, I need the attachment reversed so it doesnt hang upside down! If you would make it, I would buy it! Please make sure the USB area is notched out too! :D

You can flip the image on the GoPro - go into the menu (possible under "more") and change the "up" direction. I've been flying mine upside down from day one.

37mm filters simply screw on with the Simensays RetrHouse£ Filter Adaptor front plate...

RetroHouse_Filter2.jpg

RetroHouse_Filter3.jpg

RetroHouse_Filter4.jpg

RetroHouse_Filter1.jpg

Looking even better with that on. Did you actually create a thread (as in screw thread) on the 3D print for a 37mm? I didn't think the tolerances would allow that level of detail without getting gummed up with powder?

Nope, did't do that, I do not think many 3D printiers will be able to do that.
I designed it with a very presicion tolerance, so that the filter screws directly into the "socket". I have also made two other methods of mounting it, but this worked so well, that i think it it the best solution. It's a secure fit, and I've tested with various filters, macro lens adaptors etc, and they're all rock solid. The filter taps out the socket, making it easy to screw. and it's is locked in firmly, more so than with a alu thread.

Cool - The nlyon is perfect for threading into post print that is for sure. My latest design coming soon relys on that method too. Keep up the good work!

Guess I will have to purchase a few items soon...... building a few TBS Discoveries, one is going to have a modified Tarot gimbal in the nose similar to how they have the Pro version, adding your RetroHouse housing w 37mm will be perfect.

Glockindahaus said:

But because I use it for FPV, I need the attachment reversed so it doesnt hang upside down! If you would make it, I would buy it! Please make sure the USB area is notched out too! :D

D3wey, just looked at your design, you could modify it to have access to the record button when flipped, this way the camera can be mounted either way in your frame.

BruceTS said:
Glockindahaus said:

D3wey, just looked at your design, you could modify it to have access to the record button when flipped, this way the camera can be mounted either way in your frame.

Thanks Bruce - I actually made that mod to the design that is on sale a few weeks ago so anyone that has purchased in that time frame will have that model (if you check out the 3D rendering you will see it now has this and notches for chunky USB plugs). 30th Sept I 'should' have it and 4 or 5 other designs in my hands to take photos of.

Here is a preview of the front plate that can take 37mm filters...

Simensays, do you sell this front plate anywhere separately? I'd like to get the housing for my Tarot but I'm unsure which option I should get. It'd be great if I could buy one and then the front plate of the other.

If I can get just the front plate, please let me know where to look :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20