Sim Card recording limits??? Mine splits video at 14 minutes

Reaction score
I was out at Catalina Island this past week and all of my videos split right at the 14 minute mark. This is a pain when editing as I will have to splice them together. Is there some setting that can be changed so that I can record a full flight without having separate video files?? I've got a 64 GB card which is not nearly full.

Thanks,

It's not a pain to splice two clips together. Bring in your clips and put it on a timeline. Takes seconds.

I don't have any files that record over 4Gig to test.
Try using windows or mac to format the SD card. Instead of Fat32, nominate exFAT. This will allow files over 4Gig.

I don't have any files that record over 4Gig to test.
Try using windows or mac to format the SD card. Instead of Fat32, nominate exFAT. This will allow files over 4Gig.

The P3 can't read that format unfortunately...already tried it as I found it a tad of pain especially for videos I wanted to use as is, reading straight from the sd card

This has always been an issue for me as well. I used to record a bunch using my Contour helmet cam and it would split the videos.
But yeah it's the limitation of the FAT32 format.

IIRC FAT32 is limited to 32GB cards. When I format 64GB cards in the P3, they are formatted exFAT.

I have not attempted a video larger than 4GB, might be a good bench test exercise.

Reactions: dalebb
Ran a bench test for the fun of it since I also wanted to do some conditioning on battery #4.

I formatted the card in the app (64GB Sandisk Extreme Ultra 80MB/s (Sandisk Pixtor).

Checked the card in the laptop to verify exFAT format and copy on firmware (double checking camera issue).

Restarted the P3P with the mSD card. Checked the settings (UHD 30fps (3840x2160))

Hit record, left it running about 1 hour, 20 minutes until DJI Pilot app crashed.

Result - 9 files all about 4GB, except the last at 3.2GB. Video's split at roughly 9:20.

Conclusion - Video's split at 4GB. This is a limitation of the camera firmware. The exFAT file system supports files up to 16EB.

Other tests:

Firmware upgrade: Nothing needed upgrading, including the new battery. The P3 may have copied over the full firmware log file since the initial upgrade to 1.2.6. I'm pretty sure there was no upgrade file, but will have to try again to reverify.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mako79
Pretty sure that the exFAT has nothing to do with the firmware. ExFAT has a 4GB since it is a 64-bit file system.

Did some more research and exFAT supports files up to 16EB, so the 4GB limitation is definitely written into the camera firmware.

So your telling me that exFAT has the capability to record bigger files than 4GB on another camera if that cameras firmware says that it will allow such files on an exFAT formatted card?

Just what I was looking for. Mine chopped at 14mins last night, right in the middle of a great asending pan shot :(

Ran a bench test for the fun of it since I also wanted to do some conditioning on battery #4.

I formatted the card in the app (64GB Sandisk Extreme Ultra 80MB/s (Sandisk Pixtor).

Checked the card in the laptop to verify exFAT format and copy on firmware (double checking camera issue).

Restarted the P3P with the mSD card. Checked the settings (UHD 30fps (3840x2160))

Hit record, left it running about 1 hour, 20 minutes until DJI Pilot app crashed.

Result - 9 files all about 4GB, except the last at 3.2GB. Video's split at roughly 9:20.

Conclusion - Video's split at 4GB. This is a limitation of the camera firmware. The exFAT file system supports files up to 16EB.

Other tests:

Firmware upgrade: Nothing needed upgrading, including the new battery. The P3 may have copied over the full firmware log file since the initial upgrade to 1.2.6. I'm pretty sure there was no upgrade file, but will have to try again to reverify.

Try formatting exFAT on the PC then insert into phantom and redo test.

Files split at about the same size on a P2 with a GoPro, and you don't lose any of the footage at all, so I'm sure it will be the same with the P3 camera. It splits the files, but they should go back together seamlessly with whatever software you edit them with. I use Premiere Pro, and it creates completely seamless joins, you'd never know there was a file change - even in the middle of an ascending pan shot.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj