Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Signal strength

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Turbazz, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Turbazz

On the Phantom 2 non vision,is there any way of seeing the signal strength for your controller like in a percentage or a gauge? I have watched a video of a inspire one it shows up as a gauge pretty cool.

Also can we get signal strength indicator for 5.8 GHz video transmission?

2. noiseboy72

I am not aware of a signal strength meter for either the R/C TX or the 5.8GHz receiver, but in terms of video, there are field strength meters you could use as a separate unit

TBH in the UK, you can only fly line of sight and the P2 has ample R/C power for this. You should only really use a 25mW Video TX, but many use more powerful units. These are normally good for 150m to 400, so again, this is pretty much safe control distance.

3. Hughie

I am having very acceptable results using 25mw vTX with an FPVLR antenna.

4. Turbazz

What distances are you getting hughie?

5. Hughie

It does OK on a circuit at a flying field at 120m up at 400m out (I can't go much further there). However in a straight line test (much easier to track with a helix obviously), I took it to 1000m. It was losing some quality at around 800m but did not deterioate further until I turned, and then I lost it momentarily (even though the spironet on the TX is hanging an inch below the legs). It came back after a couple of seconds. The quality was not fabulous at that distance, but it was enough to be able to fly it.

I am awaiting an FPVLR pentalobe/pinwheel pair to see if I can improve on the quality further, but anyway I dont normally go beyond 500m.

6. Turbazz

That's pretty good! What's the weather like today in your neck of the woods? Pretty sunny, still 10 to 15 mph winds though down leicester

7. Hughie

I flew this morning at Pontefract Race Course it was sunny, 8 degrees C and wind at 2m/s. Close to perfect for this time of year. The weather looks rubbish for the next 10 days here though. 10-15 mph is on the edge of what I would normally fly in - so rather you than me :).