Signal loss with low battery. (?)

Reaction score
Not sure what happened to my Phantom 2 today but I didn't realize that the battery level was low and after flying for 5 min I was able to get it over my head and started to land. Suddenly, it started acting weird, luckily I was high enough to clear the trees. It started to go off course more and more. It started to respond to controls very erratically. Finally I was able to get it closer to me and it seemed like it "reconnected" and I was able to get it down but got a good scare.

Do you know if the reception suffers as the battery percentage is around 10% or less. It definitely seemed like it. In any case, I did order the iOSDmini so at least I could get the battery levels.

Did any of you guys experience anything similar? (and yes, I did see few posts where Phantoms would literally take off)

Thanks.

Never experienced loss of control on low battery. I did accidentally get into a low battery condition and it just land where it was - in the open thank goodness! IOSD mini is definitely worth it for me, I can also keep an eye on the number of satellites, distance, height, flight mode, speed descent etc.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8

Cygan said:
Not sure what happened to my Phantom 2 today but I didn't realize that the battery level was low and after flying for 5 min I was able to get it over my head and started to land. Suddenly, it started acting weird, luckily I was high enough to clear the trees. It started to go off course more and more. It started to respond to controls very erratically. Finally I was able to get it closer to me and it seemed like it "reconnected" and I was able to get it down but got a good scare.

Do you know if the reception suffers as the battery percentage is around 10% or less. It definitely seemed like it. In any case, I did order the iOSDmini so at least I could get the battery levels.

Did any of you guys experience anything similar? (and yes, I did see few posts where Phantoms would literally take off)

Thanks.

had a similar thing happen - it was directly over my head in GPS mode - but wouldnt come down. I toggled back to ATTI then it finally descended on command

It happened again today. Just rendering the video so I can show you what I mean. Fortunately, nothing happened and I had my guards on so zero damage but I do not feel comfortable with this thing now. Will need to take it to the open field with no wind and give it another try as I'm afraid to fly it over a populated area. This is the 3rd time this thing takes a mind on its own.

Will follow up with helipal.com tomorrow so they could contact DJI.

The video is uploading right now but will be available here:

NOTE: (link to video in the next post as I just got it to work)

Note: Listen closely to the sound of the rotors. Sounds like they are loosing power on and off... or maybe it's just me.

It was hard for an error here as it was a nice slow decent. I try to bring it down slowly as I had a similar incident around the same altitude few days back. Will try to search for the video.

Here are examples of the three landings where Phantom just stop responding to anything...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXP-8Ep ... e=youtu.be

I noticed that it was always:
1) with light/moderate wind
2) Phantom was always facing me
3) moving forward and down at the same time
4) always around the same altitude (no idea exactly how high but will know soon as I have iOSD on the way)
5) battery was about 30/50%

If this happens again I will consider just getting rid of it and getting another multi-rotor. :(

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj