Signal loss on Litchi mission

Reaction score
hd priest skear.JPG
I just completed a 7500ft max distance from home point on a Litchi mission. At about 5000ft out I started getting a signal loss warning, but as it was on a mission it continued and did not initiate an RTH.
The signal was then restored to maximum bars and stayed this way all the way out to 7500ft and all the way back.
I am curious why this happens in a wide open area out over open sea. I do not fly long missions over land, and this was really just a long distance test to see how the aircraft performed. Any thoughts?

Could be you weren't pointing your controller correctly during those moments
Yes possibly, but I was being very careful to point and angle the antenna corectly,obviously I could not see the craft but I was aiming for a small island exposed at low tide and did my best to line up with that point.

Antenna positioning is very important for long flights as the signal weakens and you need to collect whatever is directly directed towards it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

If you want to get serious about distance, you really need to get yourself a tripod. Or at least a table.

I have flown many Litchi missions over some inaccessible areas and have had the "disconnected" warning several times. It is mostly caused by distance and a line of sight obstruction (like trees). The first time it happened I really freaked out but now I expect it under certain circumstances.

Were you using a windsurfer or similar? The Phantom 4 has something of a reputation for signal loss at less than its advertised 3.1 mile range and those things are reported to help.

If you ever saw the movie 'The Game' with Michael Douglas, there was a great scene where some gentlemen in a club were recalling with envy their first experiences playing 'the game'. That's kind of how I feel now about losing signal on a Litchi Mission. I miss that near heart stopping feeling of a dead screen while two thousand bucks flies away, the anxiety while it's gone, and then the epic feeling of relief when it reconnects back inbound. I'm not saying I'm some salty old Litchi guy either, but I have used it enough to trust it, and I do miss that rush.

If you want to get serious about distance, you really need to get yourself a tripod. Or at least a table.
Hi thanks, how do you use the tripod? I assume it is to maintain steady direction of the antennae. Do I need an attachment.
Thanks to all other helpful suggestions,got my Parabolics on order.

Hi - I have a folding table set up in the back of my property which I use for my daily flights. I've got a block of wood on the table that I use to angle the controller at exactly the elevation I need.

But yes, I also have a tripod which I use at times. You'd need to mod your controller so that it fits on the tripod. There are a number of ways to do it. Here's how I did it: Tripod Mod

Hi - I have a folding table set up in the back of my property which I use for my daily flights. I've got a block of wood on the table that I use to angle the controller at exactly the elevation I need.

But yes, I also have a tripod which I use at times. You'd need to mod your controller so that it fits on the tripod. There are a number of ways to do it. Here's how I did it: Tripod Mod
Thanks,just off out to repeat yesterdays mission and I will concentrate more on the antennae direction.

If I'm flying VLOS, I've never lost signal to any significant degree. If I think loss of signal is likely, I slip a pair of windsurfers over the antennas. I don't necessarily lust for distance unless it serves my photographic goals, but for my somewhat shorter flights (up to maybe two miles in the Minnesota woods), signal loss is still rare.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I had a similar situation and bought a pair of these and what a night and day difference. They help alot, I am now able to flight in places where I could not before.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HW91PLE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Coincidentally, they look exactly like the pair I ordered yesterday,folding and copper plated,they arrived today, so I re flew yesterdays mission and full strength signal all the way. Once again thanks to all who responded.
These folding Parabolic reflectors fit perfectly in my case alongside the gimbal.

View attachment 67921 I just completed a 7500ft max distance from home point on a Litchi mission. At about 5000ft out I started getting a signal loss warning, but as it was on a mission it continued and did not initiate an RTH.
The signal was then restored to maximum bars and stayed this way all the way out to 7500ft and all the way back.
I am curious why this happens in a wide open area out over open sea. I do not fly long missions over land, and this was really just a long distance test to see how the aircraft performed. Any thoughts?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
this is a video I made testing what happens when drone looses connection with remote. All went well although I was scared of not having control

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers