Signal loss at 2700 feet -Phantom 4

Reaction score
Today , Monday March 21, 2016 , I almost lost my P4 . It was a clear day , about 10 mph winds and I was flying at about 150 ft . Before anyone can ask , yes my antenna were in the proper position facing the bird. There were trees off in the distance and signal loss seemed to happen shortly after it got out of LOS . Here is a link to my video I took from my AZ screen recorder .

Why are you flying LOS? Maybe that's part of the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Next time fly a little higher

I have a question that may be related.

The controller and bird has to have a clear LOS? Or can it penetrate or bounce off trees?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Wow we all replied within seconds of each other

I can confirm for a fact now what I've been suspecting . Not only the range is reduced but the signal recovery is out of whack and borderline dangerous in your case .

There are a few things you could've done to avoid it but needless to say this should never happen on an open field with no buildings. o_O
Me start to think the p4 is a lot of sizzle and not enough steak

Last edited:
Looking at your terrain I can't tell if you had a clear LOS to the aircraft due to the trees. You won't get great range in that type of environment. Either you need to climb up above the trees so there is a clear LOS between you & the bird (and you can only go so high), or you need to find a more open environment in which to fly.

On the RTH. If you manually call a RTH from the remote you need to hold the button for a moment. You can't just press it quickly. If it accepts the command, the remote should begin beeping like it did later when your Phantom regained contact. There is always the possibility that you may have lost video & telemetry, but the remote is still connected to the aircraft. The "connect" light on the remote isn't always accurate either. Sometimes it can be red but you are still connected. If you are still connected the Phantom will just sit there awaiting your input until eventually the low battery RTH kicks in & it begins its journey home. In a total worst case where you just aren't sure, turn off the remote for 10 seconds. That way you KNOW the Phantom lost contact & will begin the journey home. It will reconnect as it comes back into range.

Reactions: Fallguy
Looking at your terrain I can't tell if you had a clear LOS to the aircraft due to the trees. You won't get great range in that type of environment. Either you need to climb up above the trees so there is a clear LOS between you & the bird (and you can only go so high), or you need to find a more open environment in which to fly.

On the RTH. If you manually call a RTH from the remote you need to hold the button for a moment. You can't just press it quickly. If it accepts the command, the remote should begin beeping like it did later when your Phantom regained contact. There is always the possibility that you may have lost video & telemetry, but the remote is still connected to the aircraft. The "connect" light on the remote isn't always accurate either. Sometimes it can be red but you are still connected. If you are still connected the Phantom will just sit there awaiting your input until eventually the low battery RTH kicks in & its begins its journey home. In a total worst case where you just aren't sure, turn off the remote for 10 seconds. That way you KNOW the Phantom lost contact & will begin the journey home. It will reconnect as it comes back into range.
Thanks DB . I thought it might be on its way back after the first try on the button, but I can shoot myself for not knowing the proper procedure on holding it down. I knew I had the other option on the screen , but then that failed as well.

Glad you got your bird back. I hate that feeling when you lose control of it. I too didn't know about holding that home button as I never had that on the p2v+

Once she gets out to the point the trees are interfering with direct LOS signal will quickly be lost. I noticed your video was getting shaky even before you lost signal. Pine trees are especially bad because the needles are very close to the wave length of the 2.4 Ghz control signal & the straight needles absorb the signal. If you have some open farmland nearby, or a high bluff where you have a high vantage point, or open water of course, then you will should get much better range. Only do water if you are confident because recovery can be problematic. :eek:

Also I was 150 ft up , didnt think the trees would be even close to that.

Most of my flying prior to buying the P4 was with my Tarot with a Naza V2 FC . I use to always hit RTH so I could film from the ground as it was coming back. Which is another thing I wanted to mention, the landing was a little strong , no wonder people with the P3's had so many issues with cracked landing gear.

Once she gets out to the point the trees are interfering with direct LOS signal will quickly be lost. I noticed your video was getting shaky even before you lost signal. Pine trees are especially bad because the needles are very close to the wave length of the 2.4 Ghz control signal & the straight needles absorb the signal. If you have some open farmland nearby, or a high bluff where you have a high vantage point, or open water of course, then you will should get much better range. Only do water if you are confident because recovery can be problematic. :eek:
After I got it back , I went to another place and flew out LOS to 3500 before I turned around , without any issues.

I always cancel the RTH when it comes back into range. I might let it start coming down but I always take over & land manually. I will say DJI does a decent job on the autoland. They definitely stick the landing! :)

Most of my flying prior to buying the P4 was with my Tarot with a Naza V2 FC . I use to always hit RTH so I could film from the ground as it was coming back. Which is another thing I wanted to mention, the landing was a little strong , no wonder people with the P3's had so many issues with cracked landing gear.

Depending on the weather/wind , I will try and get out tomorrow.
I always cancel the RTH when it comes back into range. I might let it start coming down but I always take over & land manually. I will say DJI does a decent job on the autoland. They definitely stick the landing! :)
I was trying get the landing with my phone (filming) in one hand . How do you stop the RTH on the P4 ? I know I should read more . Was pissed that DJI waited till the last min to release their manual on it.

Last edited:
To cancel the RTH just push the RTH button on the remote or hit the red X on the left side of the screen. It will stop the RTH & hover in place while you take over the controls.

Depending on the weather/wind

I was trying get the landing with my phone (filming) in one hand . How do you stop the RTH on the P4 ? I know I should read more . Was pissed that DJI waited till the last min to release their manual on it.

I don't think there is a usual P4 range issue in that example. P4 (or P3 or P2 or another drone) should go higher step by step while it is getting far from controller to keep signal strength strong.

The angle seems very low like 3.2 degrees; 2700ft horizontal distance and 150 ft altitude. That means when P4 gets far on altitude 150ft, number of trees and the other objects increase dramatically in between controller and P4 itself. So going higher while getting far from controller can fix that communication issue IMO.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20