Signal interference?

Reaction score
I'm just wondering, how much interference do a few trees present? I know buildings and structures obviously kill a signal. How much of my signal will get through your typical back yard full of trees? Just trying to figure out how far up I have to go to keep my signal free of obstruction? Anyone a back yard flyer? Any ideas?
Thanks.

my back yard is lined with 40ft Leland cypress trees and also my neighbors back yard is also lined . So With My P3P standing 20ft away and transmitting through 2 rows of 40ft Trees, I start to get shaky video feed about 200ft high and 1500-1600ft away, but still full control of the quad.

FAA Guidelines aside, maintain an unobstructed path between you and the quad.

Keep it simple... If you can't see your quad behind the object (trees) then your receiver can't 'see' your transmitter either.

I am out in the suburbs of Chicago. I have some large 60' pine trees and some Old Oak Trees all over by me. I usually take off from the sidewalk and fly up a good 300' and then head south since there is a big open park roughly a quarter mile south of me. With all of the trees, plus houses, etc, I can still make it to the other end of the park which is a good 4500 feet South of me before my signal drops and RTH kicks in.

Reactions: stoneyb245
From my wifi links experience I can tell you that trees are bad. Trees with wet leafs are worse then a concrete wall signal wise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

my back yard is lined with 40ft Leland cypress trees and also my neighbors back yard is also lined . So With My P3P standing 20ft away and transmitting through 2 rows of 40ft Trees, I start to get shaky video feed about 200ft high and 1500-1600ft away, but still full control of the quad.

I am in the country and the only interference I have are trees. My yard is carved out of woods and I am completely surrounded. Depending on the direction, some distances are better than others. But at it's worst I get about the same exact distance. If I am looking to fly long distance I will attach a Windsurfer I made and I will get up on the roof of my barn which gets me up about 20 feet. The combination of the two makes a tremendous difference.

I have spent a decent amount of time tracking interference in all directions from my launch point. I used it as a way to get familiar with the P3 itself. You can fly around the interference once you get a feel. I would also look at your elevation when compared to your surrounding mile. Lastly, pay close attention to the direction of the antennas. That got me.

A microwave oven transmits at 2.2 Ghz because that's the ideal freq to be absorbed by water.

You've got a P3A/P with a 2.4 Ghz control signal trying to penetrate leaves filled with water.

It's probably not going to work very well...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers