Signal interference with aluminum railing?

Reaction score
I was wondering if there might me interference when controlling behind an aluminum railing with aluminum ballisters. I haven't tried it yet but was looking to do medium to long range flights from behind or over the top of them.

All should be fine if you're not flying your Phantom close to the railing.

Depends alot on its shape and construction. Fences will often act like a Faraday cage and attenuate much of the signal. Could the be the case here. If you can get the controller past the railing, you can compare signal quality.

If you can get the controller past the railing
Flying over top of the railing (one of the options the OP mentioned) would be the way to go. Railing or something else, I don't fly with anything between the RC and Phantom.

Looking to hand catch/launch over the top of the railing. Msinger, would you think that's too close?

Depends alot on its shape and construction. Fences will often act like a Faraday cage and attenuate much of the signal. Could the be the case here. If you can get the controller past the railing, you can compare signal quality.
Agree with ianwood.

Even it's not a fully Faradays cage, it will definitely attenuate signals.

I was wondering if there might me interference when controlling behind an aluminum railing with aluminum ballisters. I haven't tried it yet but was looking to do medium to long range flights from behind or over the top of them.

I do some of my distance runs from an elevated platform that has an aluminum fence around it... I rest my r/c on the railing. No issues

I launch and recover sometimes from my elevated back deck(15'.) I have trees near either corner and a wood /plexiglass "fence"(so I can see the lake thru the "fencing"). It is fairly doable but I can't make a mistake going between the trees and over the rail.

The good thing is I can come high enough to get over the trees and come straight down to the open/unroofed deck AND if I pooch it it only falls 15 ft to my back yard and not 20 stories down to a street.

Use common sense and be careful, it won't be a recoverable flight event if you pooch it on the way in.

Here's a pic of the aluminum railing. Looking to sit in a chair and control the P3A from there. Controller and P3A would still be direct LOS. I just don't want to get a mile plus out and have sudden issues.

Also, I hand-caught today for the first time and I'm looking to hand launch and hand catch from this location as well. I do it all the time with a smaller toy drone. Anyone else launching from similar tight quarters regularly?View attachment 43195
Unless you get down on the floor, there's no way that rail is going to get in the way of your signal and if it's aluminium it's not going to caise any compass problems either.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1454912025.770810.jpg

Surrounded by this in one of my favorite spots.

Here's a pic of the aluminum railing. Looking to sit in a chair and control the P3A from there. Controller and P3A would still be direct LOS. I just don't want to get a mile plus out and have sudden issues.

Also, I hand-caught today for the first time and I'm looking to hand launch and hand catch from this location as well. I do it all the time with a smaller toy drone. Anyone else launching from similar tight quarters regularly?View attachment 43195
If it was me, to alleviate the need to hand launch from the small deck, I'd cut a 1/2" plywood board to fit on top of the corner of the railing. Clamp the plywood to the top of the railing and launch from that platform. Then hand catch. Beautiful place you have there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic