Signal goes from full bars to none at 2.5 km

Reaction score
I have noticed something peculiar regarding my P4 range. I can fly with full signal strength to almost exactly 2.5 km out and then without a warning, both the video and the telemetry signal gets lost and I need to return home using the RTH function (actually I have still full control over the Phantom, I just cannot get a visual confirmation any more).

It's not a slow decreasing or breaking up of the signal quality, it goes from four bars and near perfect video, to a complete loss of signal in an instant. I don't get behind trees or near antennas, and I have clear LOS to the Phantom. It doesn't even matter which direction I fly. 2.5 km and bam! signal lost.

Mind you I am not complaining, 2.5 km is not something I want to stretch further, I am just curious why I don't see a steadily detoriation of the signal. It's almost binary - all or nothing.

I have noticed something peculiar regarding my P4 range. I can fly with full signal strength to almost exactly 2.5 km out and then without a warning, both the video and the telemetry signal gets lost and I need to return home using the RTH function (actually I have still full control over the Phantom, I just cannot get a visual confirmation any more).

It's not a slow decreasing or breaking up of the signal quality, it goes from four bars and near perfect video, to a complete loss of signal in an instant. I don't get behind trees or near antennas, and I have clear LOS to the Phantom. It doesn't even matter which direction I fly. 2.5 km and bam! signal lost.

Mind you I am not complaining, 2.5 km is not something I want to stretch further, I am just curious why I don't see a steadily detoriation of the signal. It's almost binary - all or nothing.
Yip that's a good flight distance,,I'm by airport so can't push that,,,I find when even at 1km if I stop and hover I lose signal ,,but if I am moving it's OK,,,only had one rth which I canceled when closer back to me,,and that's clear line of sight

If it's any comfort you are not alone with a complete signal loss, I have a routine flight path over the forest that I have learnt to keep a close eye on the signal strength. As soon as it flickers, I climb 10-20 mtrs and push a little further and repeat as I keep going. I can fly out to about four klms before I have to call it a day as I max out on altitude. Same process at the beach but a whole lot less height and eyeballs on the battery level!

If it's any comfort you are not alone with a complete signal loss, I have a routine flight path over the forest that I have learnt to keep a close eye on the signal strength. As soon as it flickers, I climb 10-20 mtrs and push a little further and repeat as I keep going. I can fly out to about four klms before I have to call it a day as I max out on altitude. Same process at the beach but a whole lot less height and eyeballs on the battery level!
HI that's good flight aswell,,hey when you reached max altitude did your camera stay normal,,,,I recently done a height test ,,a safe test,,,1315ft straight up and got alert max altitude reached then camera went limp like flopping around dead ,,,,gave impression on screen of drone falling,,,s###the,,,landed safe done camera calibration normal again
DJI_0024.JPG
I never filmed my legs before

Last edited by a moderator:
HI that's good flight aswell,,hey when you reached max altitude did your camera stay normal,,,,I recently done a height test ,,a safe test,,,1315ft straight up and got alert max altitude reached then camera went limp like flopping around dead ,,,,gave impression on screen of drone falling,,,s###the,,,landed safe done camera calibration normal againView attachment 79765I never filmed my legs before
I've had that happen during flight and received no errors in the log. You end up doing that little dance and panic trying to figure out what happened. Restart the app and all is good again, weird. Has never happened on a distance flight or at max altitude, normally within the first two to three minutes and I have read it may be a battery issue, a signal loss issue etc. Never got to the bottom of it and I have put it down to bad feng shui.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4