Sign the petition to recind the restriction on FPV flying

Reaction score
http://www.change.org/p/the-united-stat ... l-vehicles

Rescind Your Latest Ruling On Model FPV Flying And The Personal & Commercial Use Of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles.

The F.A.A. has recently issued a, "Notice of Clarification," that will greatly impact our community of pilots; including those doing this for fun, and those wanting to use these aircraft for purposeful uses such as search and rescue operations. Please see the attached link (courtesy DIYDrones.com) about these most recent, archaic rulings.

Sign the petition here: http://www.change.org/p/the-united-stat ... l-vehicles

Re: Sign the petition to recind the restriction on FPV flyin

signed. I'm confused about the FPV stuff, they're saying the device must have LOS which our Phantoms do indeed. I don't know about other folks but if I ever lose LOS with my Phantom it goes into Return to Home mode.... so even when I'm at long range using the FPV to fly I still technically have LOS with it...

QYV said:
signed. I'm confused about the FPV stuff, they're saying the device must have LOS which our Phantoms do indeed. I don't know about other folks but if I ever lose LOS with my Phantom it goes into Return to Home mode.... so even when I'm at long range using the FPV to fly I still technically have LOS with it...

hmmm are you confusing line of sight with loss of signal? It's pretty easy to fly the Phantom (and any other aircraft) out of your line of sight but maintain signal.

I'm a bit torn with this issue - it really is more dangerous to fly these things when we can't physically see them. Sure, if you're over empty land - who cares... but if you're flying it without line of sight in a place where people might be hurt - that seems dangerous.

The regulation to have LOS even when using FPV makes sense at some level to me too as I have seen two or three video's on this site alone that show's what happens when people become too reliant on their FPV and crash into something that isn't currently view-able from their camera's vantage point.

Granted - I can see how this takes some of the fun away from these devices - but I can't blame the FAA for being concerned about safety.

I totally agree with you, I'm just thinking out loud. my Phantom requires line of sight to maintain control signal.. if I go behind a building or whatever then signal is lost. I just meant that technically.. even if it's a tiny little speck 800m away I still technically have line of sight...
but I guess what they're getting at is that over a certain distance you don't really have control via your visual of the craft.. which is fair I guess.

I think what he is saying is that if he loses Line Of Sight, he also loses loss of control/signal. This us not always the case. Fly at 400' away from you where there is no obstructions. You can easily out fly your ability to see it during the day. Think 1500' from you at 400' height during a cloudy day. You could probably not see it but still have FPV and control.

Buckaye said:
QYV said:

hmmm are you confusing line of sight with loss of signal? It's pretty easy to fly the Phantom (and any other aircraft) out of your line of sight but maintain signal.

I'm a bit torn with this issue - it really is more dangerous to fly these things when we can't physically see them. Sure, if you're over empty land - who cares... but if you're flying it without line of sight in a place where people might be hurt - that seems dangerous.

The regulation to have LOS even when using FPV makes sense at some level to me too as I have seen two or three video's on this site alone that show's what happens when people become too reliant on their FPV and crash into something that isn't currently view-able from their camera's vantage point.

Granted - I can see how this takes some of the fun away from these devices - but I can't blame the FAA for being concerned about safety.

2+

what if my eyes are just that good!! :p

I would certainly not sign a petition to rescind a basic safety restriction such as this. FPV only gives you a very restricted field of view - you haven't got a clue what's to the side of or behind the aircraft. It's absolutely vital to maintain a visual line of sight to the aircraft at all times, to my mind.

I make it a rule never to sign anything I don't understand or confuses me. Getting older, I don't sign much anything anymore...

Anyway, this thing seems pretty much like whistling up a flag pole.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl