Sick to my stomach……….

Reaction score
This F#$%#ing compass issue completely sucks. Like everyone else no matter what I do it won't fly a straight line. It will get a little better after flying back and forth for a while but never straight. I've had two video shoots over the last week I had to turn down because both of them required a straight flight for 400-500 feet. The last job would have earned me 2K. I even went to the sight and test flew 3 batteries worth of time. I thought I could edit something together using only portions of the course but that is not going to happen.

Just needed to vent a little

FASTFJR said:
This F#$%#ing compass issue completely sucks. Like everyone else no matter what I do it won't fly a straight line. It will get a little better after flying back and forth for a while but never straight. I've had two video shoots over the last week I had to turn down because both of them required a straight flight for 400-500 feet. The last job would have earned me 2K. I even went to the sight and test flew 3 batteries worth of time. I thought I could edit something together using only portions of the course but that is not going to happen.

A few questions (as i am not affected by the issue - at least not yet)
Does it still happen in ATTI mode?
Does it happen in course lock?

Just checking if there were work arounds. But I guess GPS isnt the issue as it's the compass itself.

dragonash said:
FASTFJR said:

A few questions (as i am not affected by the issue - at least not yet)
Does it still happen in ATTI mode?
Does it happen in course lock?

Just checking if there were work arounds. But I guess GPS isnt the issue as it's the compass itself.

Its magnetic declination, and its fine in ATTI but course lock is effected... Also it cleans up as the flight goes on

This makes me wonder what it takes to get to straight flight the fastest. In other words, FASTFJR, you could still do the jobs, but you'd have to spend the first 5-8 minutes of each flight getting the Phantom to fly straight and then do the straight flight shots you need.

So, I am wondering what is the fastest way to have the Phantom learn to fly straight. Is it just hovering? Is it trying to fly straight? Is it going in circles? Is it the same no matter what? Maybe we can find a way to shorten the time it takes for the Phantom to learn the compass offset. We should do some tests.

It's no substitute for DJI fixing this but it might allow us to get those really straight shots we need in the time in between.

ianwood said:
This makes me wonder what it takes to get to straight flight the fastest. In other words, FASTFJR, you could still do the jobs, but you'd have to spend the first 5-8 minutes of each flight getting the Phantom to fly straight and then do the straight flight.

So, I am wondering what is the fastest way to have the Phantom learn to fly straight. Is it just hovering? Is it trying to fly straight? Is it going in circles? Maybe we can find a way to shorten the time it takes for the Phantom to learn the compass offset.

It's no substitute for DJI fixing this but it might allow us to get those really straight shots we need in the time in between.

Correct, if I fly back and forth for 6-8 minutes it will get better. However it still does not go straight, and this also burns dam near half my battery life. Its a band aid at best. A larger copter is not the answer. This size of the P2 with gimbal and GP are perfect for 90% of my shooting. I did try to rotate the compass but could not find a good way to make it stay put. Time will tell

I didn't post here to take away from the others threads, its just very frustrating………..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31