Shutter

Reaction score
Hi Pilots, hope you all having good flights out there.
I am wondering about the shutter... Does it adjust automatically or should i chose which degree i want.

For example, if am flying with ND filter will the camera shutter adjust automatically or do i need to adjust it?

Any more information regard the shutter would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Pilots, hope you all having good flights out there.
I am wondering about the shutter... Does it adjust automatically or should i chose which degree i want.

For example, if am flying with ND filter will the camera shutter adjust automatically or do i need to adjust it?

Any more information regard the shutter would be appreciated.

Both :)

When in AUTO, the camera will change the shutter speed in order to keep the image properly exposed. It does this together with the ISO and the EV (exposure compensation).

When using an ND-filter (or ND filter and POL-filter at the same time) the camera will (in Auto) by itself lower the shutter speed in order to expose the image how it think it should be exposed. For video the optimal shutter speed to aim for is about 2x the frame rate. So when filming in 30 frames per second, you would want to aim for a shutter speed of about 60. In daylight this is impossible without using an ND-filter (adding a POL-filter will also help cut down the amount of light that enters the camera sensor (like what the ND is doing) which means the camera needs to keep the "shutter" open for longer to get enough light to expose the frame).

We want the shutter to stay 'open' for longer (which is what NDs help do) in order to solve problems with jello and in order to get some natural looking motion blur in videos with movement.

When in Auto, you might want to click the "AE-lock" in the Pilot app (upper right corner) to make sure the camera does not change the lighting automatically when the you fly and film. You'll generally want to avoid this as it can look a bit amateurish when the exposure ("the brightness") of the image changes in the same scene/clip.

You can also control the camera settings in Manual-mode. There you'll generally want the ISO100 (unless filming at night/evening) and then you use the Shutter Speed to control the exposure. You can Enable the Histogram to help evaluate the correct exposure - but mostly just look at the screen and set the Shutter speed to where you think the exposure looks good. Hopefully - with an ND and/or POL-filter installed - this will be around the desired 2x framerate (shutter speed 60).

Hope that helped. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj