Shutter speed recorded?

Reaction score
Anyone know if there's a log that shows the shutter speed being used? Want to test out a few things........

Anyone know if there's a log that shows the shutter speed being used? Want to test out a few things........
If you turn on "Video Captions" in the DJI GO app, flight data will be recorded, including shutterspeed, and synced up with the video in an .SRT sidecar file that is readable by most video players, if you enable the subtitle file during playback, assuming you turned on video captions in the app before recording the video. For still photos, it's in the metadata.

Last edited:
Lightroom and Photoshop will show you all the metadata. Photo Mechanic too ,(Mac) but for some reason Photo Mechanic doesn't show altitude- but Lightroom does.

Lightroom and Photoshop will show you all the metadata. Photo Mechanic too ,(Mac) but for some reason Photo Mechanic doesn't show altitude- but Lightroom does.
Cool! Thanks for sharing that LR picks up altitude in the metadata. Is that relative to the launch point, or to sea level?

Cool! Thanks for sharing that LR picks up altitude in the metadata. Is that relative to the launch point, or to sea level?
I think it's launch point........... the dumb phantom doesn't know between AGL and ASL.

What he said. Relative to where you record your takeoff point.

Your Phantom has no way of knowing where sea level is.
It only understands where it took off from and all heaghts are relative to that.
This leads to an interesting question. Assuming you want to adhere to FAA "guidelines" and keep your max altitude at 400 feet, how do you ensure you are not exceeding 400 feet above ground when flying over areas below you in elevation? I launch from 250 above sea level, but fly to areas at sea level below me. 400 feet above my launch elevation is 650 feet above the ground in the area I fly to. Similarly, if flying to an elevation above me, how do I know how far above ground I actually am, to avoid obstacles within 75 feet of the ground, like power lines and trees! The elevation shown is above my launch point. It shows 150 feet (45 meters in the .SRT file), but I am clearly within 75 feet of the ground in the video, in an area some 75 feet in elevation above me. Is there any way to overlay a Topo map over the Apple map view during flight?
Are there any other live ways to determine your true altitude above the ground? The VPS only works within 0.3 to 3.0 meters of the ground. That leaves a huge area above uncertainty above 3 meters! If I have RTH set to 400 feet from my launch point at 250 feet above sea level, and even if I fly over the nearby ocean at no higher than 400 feet (displayed as 150 feet to me in the DJI GO app), if the RC signal is lost, the craft will climb to 650 feet above the ocean before returning home, as I understand it. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Now you're making my head hurt....
This is what happens when you think too much...

Do you have an area you can launch from near a big altitude drop off so you can see if the numbers change when you fly straight from one area above sea level to another? Keep the bird at the same height & go forward over a lower area. I wonder the numbers change.
Does the P3 have an actual altimeter that would detect the drop off as different?
Oy....!

Windows 7/8/10 > right click on file > properties > detail...

You can also set the way windows explorer views files > Set to detail and nominate what you want shown > View > Add columns > Choose Columns and tick the appropriate boxes.

Do you have an area you can launch from near a big altitude drop off so you can see if the numbers change when you fly straight from one area above sea level to another? Keep the bird at the same height & go forward over a lower area. I wonder the numbers change.
Does the P3 have an actual altimeter that would detect the drop off as different?
Oy....!
Following the thread of replies above to the prior question that prompted my follow up, the P3P only knows AGL, Above Ground Level, from launch elevation, using its barometer, and has no concept of ASL, Above Sea Level, or absolute altitude, from which to derive any above ground level change, when it flies over elevations different than the launch point. Need further clarification from someone in the know...:cool:

Oy....!
They don't change, unless I am missing something. No actual altimeter, just a barometer to determine relative elevation to the launch point, which is set at zero. I would love to be wrong, so I could use the real height above ground level at all times. Any one?

Hi

In full scale aircraft we calibrate our altimeters with the latest ATIS information, which gives us the barometer setting so that we know what our actual altitude is ASL. We verify that it is correct by matching our indicated altitude with the airport elevation that we're at.

In order to get AGL information we would need altitude radar capability other than that we calculate AGL by using our indicated altitude and cross referencing the elevation on our charts.

In order to have our multirotors (MR) know what the AGL altitude was, we would have to get the barometric pressure for where we were at the moment (as pilots we consistently get updates for where we are and adjust our altimeters accordingly.

So I am assuming from all that I know at this moment, that once the Phantom 3 Pro (in my case) establishes a base altitude, and you fly down a valley lower than your take-off point, you will see negative altitude numbers (I have in other MRs that I've flown).

Now my Phantom has ground sensing radar so that it knows how high above the ground it is for landing purposes, but I've read nothing to indicate that it uses that information for anything other than landing nor that it gives you that information in any way... but I may be mistaken about that. I do believe that it has a height limitation as well.

Anthony

Hi

In full scale aircraft we calibrate our altimeters with the latest ATIS information, which gives us the barometer setting so that we know what our actual altitude is ASL. We verify that it is correct by matching our indicated altitude with the airport elevation that we're at.

In order to get AGL information we would need altitude radar capability other than that we calculate AGL by using our indicated altitude and cross referencing the elevation on our charts.

In order to have our multirotors (MR) know what the AGL altitude was, we would have to get the barometric pressure for where we were at the moment (as pilots we consistently get updates for where we are and adjust our altimeters accordingly.

So I am assuming from all that I know at this moment, that once the Phantom 3 Pro (in my case) establishes a base altitude, and you fly down a valley lower than your take-off point, you will see negative altitude numbers (I have in other MRs that I've flown).

Now my Phantom has ground sensing radar so that it knows how high above the ground it is for landing purposes, but I've read nothing to indicate that it uses that information for anything other than landing nor that it gives you that information in any way... but I may be mistaken about that. I do believe that it has a height limitation as well.

Anthony
Elevation changes positively and negatively relative to the launch elevation of zero. There is a 500m ceiling above your launch point that is a hard coded maximum. Presumably, no descent maximium.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic