shut off LEDs for more battery?

Reaction score
I know LEDs don't draw much but I wonder if shutting off the front LEDs might lend to a bit more battery life?

Probably not enough to make any appreciable difference.
Flying at 200 feet rather than climbing to 300 ft would probably have a much bigger effect.
Agreed.

As a matter of interest, what do you reckon filming for 15 minutes does to the battery capacity?

Both will take a least some bat power thats why when i'm "runnin" they both get shut down along with sensor

Both will take a least some bat power thats why when i'm "runnin" they both get shut down along with sensor

I believe you are talking about VPS. I have been wondering if the p3 is smart enough to shut the VPS sensor/camera off at higher altidudes and switch back on when landing/flying lower.
No one seems to know the answer.. Only way to test it is to hover at higher altidude with no wind, VPS on and VPS off but those days limited..

I believe you are talking about VPS. I have been wondering if the p3 is smart enough to shut the VPS sensor/camera off at higher altidudes and switch back on when landing/flying lower.
No one seems to know the answer.. Only way to test it is to hover at higher altidude with no wind, VPS on and VPS off but those days limited..

VPS turns itself off at 10 feet (above ground leavel). Mainly used for low flying, inside, under cover. Dont think you need it if your flying outside in open areas.

Last edited:
Worry not. The LED's draw a negligible amount of battery power. Full stick in any direction (full speed) does the most battery drain. 60mAh for an LED strip (source). So a 4800ma phantom 3 battery could last a couple days (80 hours very gross approximation).

VPS turns itself off at 10 feet (above ground leavel). Mainly used for low flying, inside, under cover. Dont think you need it if your flying outside in open areas.

Hmmm. Why then is there an option to turn it off in the app? If it did it automatically, then why would there be an option? I don't think it does turn off, I think it just becomes ineffective above 10'. That's something else altogether...!

I know the green lights can be turned off in settings but the red LEDS remain on. Everywhere I search people have agreed covering the red LED with tape is only way. The red LED is wired to the ESC's.

Do you notice much benefit with LED and VPS off? I cannot imagine it saving more than a minute if flight time per battery, and that's being generous.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hmmm. Why then is there an option to turn it off in the app? If it did it automatically, then why would there be an option? I don't think it does turn off, I think it just becomes ineffective above 10'. That's something else altogether...!
It can be turned off in the app because some people don't like the fly with it on. The same way the front lights can be turned off if you prefer to fly without them. I do believe you are right though because if you are flying at 100ft and then fly over the roof of a house, the VPS takes over. Whether it is in low-power mode sending pings or just always fully active is the question.

Reactions: rulppa

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik