Show us your home made parts

Reaction score
It's not currently flying weather here so I decided get creative in the workshop and make my own gimbal protector. It was hand machined and not CNC as can be seen by few rough edges.

Attachments

• Gimbal Guard.jpg
    Gimbal Guard.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 594
Reactions: gez and rulppa
Wow that looks real good considering you were turning your dials by hand esp on the rounded contours. I cant get a good round contour by hand on a milling machine to save my life. Its like trying to make a perfect circle on an etch and sketch.

But yours looks as good as any of the ones for sale look as far as the machining goes.

Wow that looks real good considering you were turning your dials by hand esp on the rounded contours..

Thanks.

I used a rotary table and a 4 jaw chuck to get the rounded edge. half hour to set up for 2 minutes machining but Like you said, its fairly impossible with the dials.

ohhhhh ok now a rotary table that makes things a lot easier. lol I can even mill a nice full circle with a rotary table by hand. .

Excellent work! Nice handmade product. I'd really like to know how practical having all those tools would be. Someone was trying to talk me in to buying a 3D printer for CNC and plastics... I'd primly use it 10 times... Then what?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I guess how practical they are depends on what you happen to do with them. I have happened to over the years acquired a small cnc milling machine. a small tool makers lathe, cnc plasma cutting table that I built. along with lots of other metal working equipment. such as sheers, bending break. and my most recent acquisition which Is some thing I did not think I would find a whole lot of things to use it for in till after I got it was my 3d printer. Which turns out I'm finding all sorts of uses for it more then all my other stuff. esp with it right here inside my house at my computer desk makes it convenient to use any time I need to make some thing in plastic.

It even saved my butt last week after I ran in to some real pain in the butt fittings on the heater hose connections on my old ladys car that even tho they are called quick disconnect fittings they by no means are quick or even easy to get off and needed a speshial tool to release the clips inside the fitting to even be able to get the busted ones off of the car. I had to special order a tool for them that was a real pos tool that was made out of some sort of pot metal like matchbox car bodys are made of and it busted the first time trying to use it and didnt even get the fittings off. So there was an alternative tool that's made just for gm heater hose fittings that instead was made out of nylon so I wait another week for one of them to arrive in the mail being none of the local auto parts stores had any on hand. Well I get the dang thing and it was well made and a lot stronger then the pot metal one. BUT for some reason its about 1/8 inch bigger diameter then it needs to be to even work and fit inside the fitting to release the clips. Ughhhhhh What should of been 1/2 hour job to get my old ladys car running again and also have heat was starting to turn in to an almost 2 week nightmare. Then it dawned on me that all I had to do was print out a new tool like the one that was the wrong size and just get the dimensions right and It saved me big time even tho I had to try 3 different times. One was still to big the next was just a hair to small. But the 3rd one was the charm and worked perfect. I had the fittings off in less then a minute.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj