Should we really be calling ourselves "pilots" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
dptcalvin said:
I wonder how many people here actually claim to be pilots IRL? I sure don't, but I have no problem with this forum being called Phantom Pilots. I think a Phantom Pilot is different from a "pilot," as well.

Well that's my whole point.

You can't call yourself a "Phantom pilot" and easily remove the disrespect involved.

It's like calling yourself a "Virtual Brain Surgeon" when all you do is play a video game where you cut open fake brains. It denegrates the esteemed title of "surgeon". You're simply a "video game player".

garrock said:
A space satellite is somewhat synonymous to a UAV. they are unmanned but yet controlled by humans.

So a guy who sits in front of a monitor and pushing buttons to control a satellite is considered a "pilot" ??

What about a 3 yr. old toddler with snot dripping out his nose who throws a paper airplane at his Mommy? He deserves the title of "pilot" ??

FACE PALM. :oops:

I think the better question is...how many pilots are actually offended by R/C aircraft flyers calling themselves pilots?

CallMeAlan said:
As said, a pilot is someone who is in control of an aircraft. Well, my Phantom and F550 are certainly aircraft, so I'm a pilot, thank you.

Get some psychiatric help from a generic "healthcare provider" if your fragile ego needs to call yourself a "pilot" for operating a 2-pound plastic toy in the backyard.

Maybe you'll decide to see a nurse aid for your mental issue rather than a board-certified psychiatrist because after all --- they are all "healthcare providers", right?

:p

dptcalvin said:
I think the better question is...how many pilots are actually offended by R/C aircraft flyers calling themselves pilots?

That's actually a good question that I'd like to know the answer to.

Any real pilots in here?

MadMitch88 said:
CallMeAlan said:
As said, a pilot is someone who is in control of an aircraft. Well, my Phantom and F550 are certainly aircraft, so I'm a pilot, thank you.

Get some psychiatric help from a generic "healthcare provider" if your fragile ego needs to call yourself a "pilot" for operating a 2-pound plastic toy in the backyard.

Maybe you'll decide to see a nurse aid for your mental issue rather than a board-certified psychiatrist because after all --- they are all "healthcare providers".

Let's be fair about this.

I'm a licensed physical therapist. I have a DPT degree. That is, I am a doctor of physical therapy. I am a healthcare provider. Does that mean I can perform neurosurgery? Nope. I know my scope of practice (limitations).

I own and fly an aircraft. Remotely, yes. But I fly it. Does that mean I can fly a full size helicopter or airplane? Heck no.

Call me what you want, I don't really care. I've never thought about myself as a pilot. But your argument there is flawed.

Re: Should we really be calling ourselves "pilots" ??

Phantoms are also used for serious purposes by videographers, photographers, surveyors archaeologists... I could go on. It nothing to do with ego which again demonstrates your arrogance.

My Ops Manual (required for CAA PFAW) states that the pilot must be clearly identified immediately prior, during and after a flight. I wear a hi vis jacket with 'PILOT' on the back. This is for safety not my ego.

You obviously do not appreciate the responsibility nor the requirements of our governing authorties. I suggest as you are a self declared disturbed person on the use of the term (OP) you leave it there.

MadMitch88 said:
garrock said:
A space satellite is somewhat synonymous to a UAV. they are unmanned but yet controlled by humans.

So a guy who sits in front of a monitor and pushing buttons to control a satellite is considered a "pilot" ??

What about a 3 yr. old toddler with snot dripping out his nose who throws a paper airplane at his Mommy? He deserves the title of "pilot" ??

LOL... even Aqualung had snot dripping down his nose.

IMO.. we are UAV Operators. More of a helmsman than pilot.

This is really a Sunday morning Politically Correct Exercise; politicians want you to buy in to that.

Re: Should we really be calling ourselves

IrishSights said:
My Ops Manual (required for CAA PFAW) states that the pilot must be clearly identified immediately prior, during and after a flight. I wear a hi vis jacket with 'PILOT' on the back.

Dude, your ego is way over inflated.

Anybody who needs to wear an official jacket that says "pilot" when operating a 2-lb. plastic toy to make himself look important has some serious self-esteem issues.

MadMitch88 said:
CallMeAlan said:

Maybe you'll decide to see a nurse aid for your mental issue rather than a board-certified psychiatrist because after all --- they are all "healthcare providers", right?

And I was just about to believe you might not be arrogant...lol.

A child or adult throwing a folded piece of paper into the air has no control over its flight characteristics or its path once it leaves their hands. They aren't piloting it, thus they aren't pilots.

I'll continue to call myself a pilot as long as I am "piloting" the craft in the sky.
I'll continue to call my multirotors drones.

As a physician I'm proud of the fellow members of my health care team whether they have as many years of schooling as I do, more years for their specialty, or only a few months obtaining a certificate to do their job. We are all healthcare providers, all part of a team, all equals as far as I'm concerned. I've only ever met a few physicians with your attitude MadMitch, and they weren't pleasant people.
Go Fly and worry about real matters.

MadMitch88 said:
IrishSights said:
Actually your getting plain arrogant...go fly some and relax...

I'm actually the exact opposite of arrogant. I'm demonstrating extreme humility by wanting to call us "operators" and reserve the title of "pilot' for those people who actually put their lives on the line when they fly an aircraft.

Sounds like you need your fragile ego stroked by giving yourself fancy titles like "pilot" when all you do is buzz a little 2-pound plastic toy in the yard. [emoji14]
Get real. Most pilots do not put "their lives at the line", neither do the millions of passagers they carry arround the globe fore there holiday trips. Further, pilot is not a title but just a word to describe what the do, namely operating a flying object.

Hey MadMitch...I really do not think you are Mad...Mitch...just bored. If the weather is anything there like it is here, well, that would explain this tangent you are on. :oops:

IrishSights said:
Phantoms are also used for serious purposes by videographers, photographers, surveyors archaeologists... I could go on. It nothing to do with ego which again demonstrates your arrogance.

My Ops Manual (required for CAA PFAW) states that the pilot must be clearly identified immediately prior, during and after a flight. I wear a hi vis jacket with 'PILOT' on the back. This is for safety not my ego.

You obviously do not appreciate the responsibility nor the requirements of our governing authorties. I suggest as you are a self declared disturbed person on the use of the term (OP) you leave it there.
+1

GoodnNuff said:
A child or adult throwing a folded piece of paper into the air has no control over its flight characteristics or its path once it leaves their hands. They aren't piloting it, thus they aren't pilots.

Go dig up your physics textbook from college, doctor.

Anyone who launches a paper airplane at a certain angle and velocity is most certainly controlling the flight path of that "aircraft".

Therefore by your definition --- 3 yr. old little Joey with the booger hanging from his nose is a "pilot".

"once it leaves their hands."

MadMitch88 said:
GoodnNuff said:

Go dig up your physics textbook from college, doctor.

Anyone who launches a paper airplane at a certain angle and velocity is most certainly controlling the flight path of that "aircraft".

Therefore by your definition --- 3 yr. old little Joey with the booger hanging from his nose is a "pilot".
Ok, im calling this one. Your a troll. Go look it up. I am stopping feeding the troll from here.

GoodnNuff said:
MadMitch88 said:
CallMeAlan said:

And I was just about to believe you might not be arrogant...lol.

I'll continue to call myself a pilot as long as I am "piloting" the craft in the sky.
I'll continue to call my multirotors drones.

As a physician I'm proud of the fellow members of my health care team whether they have as many years of schooling as I do, more years for their specialty, or only a few months obtaining a certificate to do their job. We are all healthcare providers, all part of a team, all equals as far as I'm concerned. I've only ever met a few physicians with your attitude MadMitch, and they weren't pleasant people.
Go Fly and worry about real matters.

+1 !
Nurses, orderlies... I count them all as healthcare providers... And they should be proud! Doctors already have a title and they deserve it.

I think this whole "pilot" is a sacred term is nonsense. Like I said... Don't say "me too" if a guy tells you he is an actual pilot.. That's stupid... But if you want to say you pilot a phantom or are an RC aircraft pilot... Go ahead.

This is another one of those way overboard PC kind of subjects that just makes a mountain out of a molehill. I have a friend who is an actual pilot of a charter company... Dude wouldn't give a rats *** if I said I'm an RC phantom pilot... His ego is safe.

Buckaye said:
I have a friend who is an actual pilot of a charter company... Dude wouldn't give a rats *** if I said I'm an RC phantom pilot... His ego is safe.

Just strikes me as odd and sad that so many people in here need to stroke their childish egos and call themselves "pilots" for operating a little plastic toy. Lots of deep-rooted psychological issues people need to address.

I've always looked at job titles as having to meet the "Break Room Talking Shop Test". If you can walk into the lunch room at a particular workplace where people with specialized credentials eat and talk shop with them, then you deserve that title. A doctor can walk into a break room with other docs and talk shop. A lawyer can walk into a break room with other lawyers and debate case law.

Sorry, but a Phantom "pilot" can't walk into the lunch room full of air transport certified or military pilots and talk shop. They'd laugh him right out of the place.

MadMitch88 said:
Buckaye said:
I have a friend who is an actual pilot of a charter company... Dude wouldn't give a rats *** if I said I'm an RC phantom pilot... His ego is safe.

Just strikes me as odd and sad that so many people in here need to stroke their childish egos and call themselves "pilots" for operating a little plastic toy. Lots of deep-rooted psychological issues people need to address.

I've always looked at job titles as having to meet the "Break Room Talking Shop Test". If you can walk into the lunch room at a particular workplace where people with specialized credentials eat and talk shop with them, then you deserve that title. A doctor can walk into a break room with other docs and talk shop. A lawyer can walk into a break room with other lawyers and debate case law.

Sorry, but a Phantom "pilot" can't walk into the lunch room full of air transport certified or military pilots and talk shop. They'd laugh him right out of the place.

So.... Because YOU have an inane test (self addittedly made up BY YOU) for title-worthiness... Everyone else who might call themselves a "pilot" when clearly referring to RC vehicles have deep psychological problems? I'm sorry dude... You're not a doctor. You can't "talk shop" about psychology.

I can... I have a MS is psychology. (Edit - deleted an unkind and unfair comment.... )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie