Should I wait for after CES to order?

Reaction score
Hello all,
I just cancelled my order on my P3A from DJI. Reason being that I found it on B&H for $200 cheaper. Before I order it (have to wait to get my money transferred back anyway), I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth waiting for the Phantom 4? Is it supposed to be announced at CES tomorrow? Any help would be appreciated!
P.S. Before you tell me that if I just keep holding off I will never buy one, I just wan't to hold off these few days to make sure I am not missing out on anything good, if there is nothing new in the next 48 hours then I will be ordering the P3A as I had planned :)
Thanks,
Cody

Hello all,
I just cancelled my order on my P3A from DJI. Reason being that I found it on B&H for $200 cheaper. Before I order it (have to wait to get my money transferred back anyway), I was wondering if you guys think it would be worth waiting for the Phantom 4? Is it supposed to be announced at CES tomorrow? Any help would be appreciated!
P.S. Before you tell me that if I just keep holding off I will never buy one, I just wan't to hold off these few days to make sure I am not missing out on anything good, if there is nothing new in the next 48 hours then I will be ordering the P3A as I had planned :)
Thanks,
Cody
Lets say they do announce the P4... its probably going to be several months at least until it begins to be available, what would you do until then?

If you buy your P3A you can always sell it if/when the P4 comes out and get a good portion of your investment back to apply towards the new purchase.

But that being said, if potential news of the P4 could still change your mind about the P3A purchase, I suppose it doesn't hurt to wait 48 hours to pull the trigger on your purchase.

Never heard of a Phantom 4 being released. With the announcement of the 4K version, and the new price drop, IMHO, I don't see a "new" model coming out anytime soon. DJI figured out they can reconfigure the Phantom 3 into several different versions and still make a profit. Good decision on cancelling.

All solid points. Either way, I can't afford to order until the money is put back in my account. With the release of the 4k version just recently, I agree that we probably won't see a new one. I just got nervous because of the way the price of the other models dropped so drastically I figured I would get some insight from you guys. Is it worth it to consider a Pro now that they are down in price a little bit? The way I am looking at it, if I end up ordering a P3A, at least I will save myself some $$$

All solid points. Either way, I can't afford to order until the money is put back in my account. With the release of the 4k version just recently, I agree that we probably won't see a new one. I just got nervous because of the way the price of the other models dropped so drastically I figured I would get some insight from you guys. Is it worth it to consider a Pro now that they are down in price a little bit? The way I am looking at it, if I end up ordering a P3A, at least I will save myself some $$$
Well, I'm sure you already know all about the camera difference between the P3P and P3A. So there's that. P3A also has a smaller battery charger -- not a big deal in most instances. You might also know that the P3A has a lower bitrate for the transmission of video (2 mbps versus up to 10 mbps on the pro) so if you are planning on FPV it will be worth it to go for the P3P.

I bought the P3A. I was fine with the camera and charger differences, but disappointed later I didn't go with the P3P after I found out about the bitrate difference (on these forums!).

So if 4k and/or FPV is important to you get the P3P. If not, go for the P3A and save some $$$ -- enough to get another battery or two, and/or a case.

Reactions: Shammyh
Well, I'm sure you already know all about the camera difference between the P3P and P3A. So there's that. P3A also has a smaller battery charger -- not a big deal in most instances. You might also know that the P3A has a lower bitrate for the transmission of video (2 mbps versus up to 10 mbps on the pro) so if you are planning on FPV it will be worth it to go for the P3P.

I bought the P3A. I was fine with the camera and charger differences, but disappointed later I didn't go with the P3P after I found out about the bitrate difference (on these forums!).

So if 4k and/or FPV is important to you get the P3P. If not, go for the P3A and save some $$$ -- enough to get another battery or two, and/or a case.

How laggy is the advanced vs. the pro? I have read that string and it concerns me slightly but I haven't worried about it too much as I am coming from something without FPV all together so I figure something with FPV will be a huge step either way.

How laggy is the advanced vs. the pro? I have read that string and it concerns me slightly but I haven't worried about it too much as I am coming from something without FPV all together so I figure something with FPV will be a huge step either way.
Laggy? I haven't heard of lag differences between the P3A and P3P. I have a P3P I use at work (my personal drone is a P3A) and don't notice any discernible difference regarding lag.

Reactions: Meta4
Laggy? I haven't heard of lag differences between the P3A and P3P. I have a P3P I use at work (my personal drone is a P3A) and don't notice any discernible difference regarding lag.
I meant video quality over the FPV stream, not lag. I used the wrong word lol. But, is there a huge difference in the live view quality? I don't plan on using FPV goggles just lining up shots here and there.

I meant video quality over the FPV stream, not lag. I used the wrong word lol. But, is there a huge difference in the live view quality? I don't plan on using FPV goggles just lining up shots here and there.
If you don't use goggles or a giant tablet you won't see any difference.
The Advanced is a great machine and at the new reduced price, it's a gift.

Whenever the next Phantom is released, I doubt it will be a huge technological leap beyond the P3.
DJI really pulled out all the stops with the P3 and it's got a lot of mileage left,

For viewing on a tablet or phone, the live video is fine on the P3A. If you want to use Head Play goggles, or an hdmi connected monitor, then you would notice a significant difference. Both video streams are 720p resolution, but the Advanced feed is more compressed.

I think I am going to order the P3A off of B&H as soon as my refund from DJI comes in. Thanks everyone for your help!

The other advantage you may benefit from with the pro is the luxury of being able to pull better still (higher resolution) frames out if the 4K video.
Yes -- very good point. At 4k you can pull up to 8 megapixel stills from the video. At 2.7k your stills are half that (still very decent, I will add, but nonetheless).

The stripping frames out of 4k video works for me. Seems to provide a faster workflow and often better results when grabbing source images for stitching into pano's. I just hover and pan while filming. When taking individual shots i found it takes longer and on a couple of occasions i had a rough time stitching as i was not generouus enough in allowing for overlap in the individual shots.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
I think something new will come out at CES, doubt it'll be a P4, most likely a P3 Adv and Pro V2 etc. The price drop is the biggest clue I think. I'm hoping for Lightbridge 2 integration myself.

I was seriously just minutes from pulling the trigger on getting a P3 today, until I saw on these boards that the price has dropped in the US. Now holding/hoping the lower price will propagate through European (Swiss) sellers in the next few days... :)
FWIW, the best local price here on a P3P is roughly $1400 (includes DJI hard case).

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I dont think they will drop much lower. It's a bit like buying a computer. No matter when you buy it there will always be a cheaper, better one coming along next week. I think I will wait till the weekend and they just buy. Sods Law, English saying, after I buy mine they will drop in price but if I wait two months the same can happen. Good luck with yours.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik