Should I upgrade Tx to my Futaba (v1.1.1)?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been a long while since I've posted. Had an original Phantom and sold it quite a while ago as I got into larger multirotor rigs. Lately though I've been getting the itch to have a smaller platform in my arsenal that's always ready to go and low maintenance. Headed out for vacation on Sunday and didn't want to pack in one of the bigger setups, so I figured now was a good time to make the purchase of a Phantom v1.1.1.

Anyway, my question is do you think I'm okay to stick with the stock transmitter on this model or should I upgrade to my Futaba? On the original one I had I pretty much immediately added my Futaba Rx, but with this model I'm guessing the dual antenna might be a better setup than the original model. I obviously love the options with my futaba, but at the same time love the thought of this being a simple always on the go setup without having to take my expensive radio along for the ride.

Do you guys trust this setup more than the original? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Ditch both setups and replace it with a frsky taranis and X8R
Great radio at a bargain price vastly superior to the stock radio gear but without the big price tag of the Futuba

+1 For the Taranis and X8R combo. You get an awful lot of performance and more importantly assurance for the money.

I've fitted X8R receivers to all my RC flying toys. If you connect the receiver to the Naza via S-BUS you can also use the conventional receiver outputs giving you a total of 16 channels to play with. I've also fitted the voltage module into my HEX so I get live battery status displayed on the transmitter which is more reliable than relying on the Naza's voltage sensor and LED indicator.

Futaba, along with JR, Multiplex, Spektrum, Corona, etc.. have for sometime had a good reputation among the more traditional RC enthusiasts but they have dropped the ball by not exploiting the opensource communities in the way that Frsky have embraced OpenTX. The result is that Frsky have produced a radio that significantly out performs the offerings of the other manufacturers both in price and features.

Regards

Nidge

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4