Should I upgrade firmware?

Reaction score
I just got a new PS3 today and I've read that one of the firmware updates dramatically decreased the range at which we could fly. I noticed since then another update had come out.

Did this fix the problem or create more? My drone has pending updates and I don't want to update into a problem filed firmware.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

No idea about the new updates, but I would fly with what you have, get accustomed to it before updating the firmware. There is no point updating etc and making it worse for yourself until you are familiar with how to fly with what you have. There's plenty of time.
Have a look on this forum for any issues with any new firmware updates and make a decision based on any commentary.

If you are not flying with the most recent firmware you drone is considered un-airworthy by the FAA. You are opening yourself up to a huge amount of liability if you are not running the most recent firmware.

This is my 2nd DJI so I do have experience flying. I'll test today to see what kind of range I get out of the box. I've heard so many horror stories of upgrading.

If you decide to upgrade your firmware, it can easily be done like this:

I also have zero problems P3standard 1.8 firmware and latest Dji go 3.1.4 iOS iPhone 7 . I thought about the whole firmware debate like this ... I bought my P3standard December 2016 so I figure I flew it 3 times and I'm still under warranty at this point so worse case I'll have to send it away . I have done 2 flights with no problems after the updating . I also thought if there was a problem , and it was affected by an update that I didn't do before the warranty expired then I would be out of luck . Make your own choice but this was mine

If you are not flying with the most recent firmware you drone is considered un-airworthy by the FAA. You are opening yourself up to a huge amount of liability if you are not running the most recent firmware.

Please provide your reference for the above statement. I am half way through the Emery-Riddle sUAS course and there has been no discussion of updated firmware or APPs being required as a condition for flight. DJI had to get a Type Rating for the quadcopter and it was likely based upon what ever firmware/APP they had at the time.

Well with my last phantom I couldn't go higher than maybe 100 feet before losing signal, I did indeed update the firmware and was able to get to right at 400 ft before I started getting warnings. Much improved for sure!

Well with my last phantom I couldn't go higher than maybe 100 feet before losing signal, I did indeed update the firmware and was able to get to right at 400 ft before I started getting warnings. Much improved for sure!

Something is wrong with your phantom then. I was getting 1350 feet with no lag or problems.

Just upgraded to 1.8.10 using DJI GO 3.1.4 on iOS: first attempt got stuck at 40% and failed, turned everything off then back on, AC started beeping like crazy throughout most of the update process but eventually it stopped and firmware upgrade was successful. Did a couple test flights with DJI GO 3.1.1 on Android (I reverted back to 3.1.1 as 3.1.2 has the infamous Home Point bug) around the house, short distance, everything seemed to be in order, no errors nor warnings.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4