Should I update firmware ?

Reaction score
I fly a P2 with H3-2D gimbal with firmware 1.8. Should I update to the latest firmware 3.2 ? Thanks

there have been a LOT of improvements to many P2 system in the newer firmwares, but there are also some restrictions. This is only my opinion but imo the 2 biggest are thus in latest firmware vs 1.8

1) descent rate limit. In v1.x there wasn't any. In version 3.2 you will be limited to 2 meters/sec descent rate. that means if you're holding the throttle full down the Phantom just slowly descends at 2m/s, period. This was implemented to help newer pilots avoid VRS and crashing their Phantoms which apparently was happening a LOT

2) flight area restrictions. in latest firmware there are no-fly zones of roughly 5 miles from major and many minor airports. This is in line with FAA restrictions, so honestly this shouldn't be a problem for you, but it happens here from time to time someone is like "why won't my Phantom spin up the props anymore" and they realize they're like 4 miles from an airport.

If neither of those things really bothers you, I would say yes upgrade the firmware and get all the other benefits. They've improved battery management/flight times a little, compass issues and plenty of other bugs.
Then again if you are 100% perfectly happy with how your device currently operates maybe if it ain't broke you shouldn't bother fixing it.

It's pretty easy to go locate the "release notes" for the latest firmware, read back through it and keep scrolling down to the history and you will see in the notes all the changes they made in the various firmwares. Here's that link:
http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... tes_en.pdf

Thanks so much for your input and explanation. The descent doesn't bother me as I always fly a bit forward are reverse to prevent prop wash. And I don't plan to fly around any airports any time soon or for ever in that manner. A bit curious about the battery improvements. I do fly with FPV and dashware on my bird. Still getting good flight times 15min. average. I will look into the link you gave very much appreciated.

Don't forget that in 3.2 version the tilt limits are reduced for both GPS and Atti modes by 10 degrees so your Phantom will have less speed. Usually not a problem but can be an issue if you are trying to fight a head wind.

macheung said:
Don't forget that in 3.2 version the tilt limits are reduced for both GPS and Atti modes by 10 degrees so your Phantom will have less speed. Usually not a problem but can be an issue if you are trying to fight a head wind.

if I'm not mistaken (and sometimes I am) the tilt speed was indeed reduced in GPS mode, but not in ATTI. Currently in latest firmware ATTI has 10 deg more tilt than GPS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31