Should I turn of RTH?

Reaction score
I had somebody recommended me to turn off the "go home and land feature" and instead turn on just the landing option. I was told that this would help prevent random flyaways. Can anybody here back this claim up and let me know if this is a safe change to make?

The only time you could have a problem would be if you were unwise enough to take off without a GPS lock. The overwhelming majority of flyaways happen to inexperienced pilots and are due to pilot error.

There is no such thing as a random Flyaway as Harry alludes to. I prefer to have control over my landings

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I always fly with FPV and keep a careful watch on the battery level shown on the FPV monitor. I make it an absolute rule to always be back in the ground when the battery level reaches 30%, which is perhaps being a little over-cautious, but better to be safe than sorry - the last thing you want to do is find yourself in an autoland sequence when your Phantom is 200m out over a lake, which is where mine's been spending a lot of its time for the last few days.

IrishSights said:
There is no such thing as a random Flyaway as Harry alludes to. I prefer to have control over my landings

Harry did not in anyway imply that there was no such thing as a genuine flyaway. What he said, correctly, is that the vast majority of 'flyaways' are in fact pilot error.

Varying the settings for RTH will have zero effect to combat a true flyaway.

Now this has started me thinking :eek: Of the reports on re-controlled flyaways, the common factor seems to be switching to ATTI.
The suggestion being that this action takes GPS errors out of the equation. Does this mean that RTH only functions in GPS mode?

Correct.

Without GPS it can't know where it is or where to go (to return).

To be more specific I have a phantom 1.1.1 and the theory on not having it return to home and instead just landing is that return to home is what actually causes certain (not all) flyaways. Reason being the phantom loses connection, gets confused on where home is, and starts flying to where it thinks home is, which is not always accurate. If you change it to just land, instead of trying to look for a home, it just lands where it is.

N017RW said:
Correct.

I never knew that :oops: Just read the manual (again)- It would seem that if failsafe (RTH) is deployed in ATTI mode, the craft will simply land where it is.

Full circle on Bobs topic.

bobdob said:
To be more specific I have a phantom 1.1.1 and the theory on not having it return to home and instead just landing is that return to home is what actually causes certain (not all) flyaways. Reason being the phantom loses connection, gets confused on where home is, and starts flying to where it thinks home is, which is not always accurate. If you change it to just land, instead of trying to look for a home, it just lands where it is.

But, from what I now understand, changing the default to just land will not take GPS error away. Switching to ATTI and then hit failsafe would cover all bases. No?

discv said:
IrishSights said:

Harry did not in anyway imply that there was no such thing as a genuine flyaway. What he said, correctly, is that the vast majority of 'flyaways' are in fact pilot error.

Varying the settings for RTH will have zero effect to combat a true flyaway.

Now this has started me thinking :eek: Of the reports on re-controlled flyaways, the common factor seems to be switching to ATTI.
The suggestion being that this action takes GPS errors out of the equation. Does this mean that RTH only functions in GPS mode?
i was not implying anything re Harry. Sorry I could have used better words there! Sorry Harry, I meant I was agreeing with what you were saying and it was the op comment about random flyaways I was commenting on. No bother I trust Harry.

N017RW said:
I think, assuming it had a home point set at one time, it knows where to go. It just doesn't know when it's there! :)

It seems pretty risky to me to set Failsafe action to autoland. If you lose the control signal, thus triggering Failsafe, the odds are that your Phantom is going to be a long way away, and you may very well not know exactly where it is. Those are the circumstances in which RTH is needed.

discv said:
N017RW said:
Correct.

I never knew that :oops: Just read the manual (again)- It would seem that if failsafe (RTH) is deployed in ATTI mode, the craft will simply land where it is.

From my experience. Even when flying in ATTI mode, running FW 3.06 when RTH is initiated ( normally at 20% ). It stops in its track climbs 20 meters above launch height and still flies home. Thus it must be looking at GPS input when it self initiates RTH.

IrishSights said:
i was not implying anything re Harry. Sorry I could have used better words there! Sorry Harry, I meant I was agreeing with what you were saying and it was the op comment about random flyaways I was commenting on. No bother I trust Harry.

No problem - I understood what you meant :).

Damon said:
discv said:
N017RW said:
Correct.

From my experience. Even when flying in ATTI mode, running FW 3.06 when RTH is initiated ( normally at 20% ). It stops in its track climbs 20 meters above launch height and still flies home. Thus it must be looking at GPS input when it self initiates RTH.

Good point.

I mistook to situation. :oops:

As long as home point is set and GPS is available it will attempt to RTH regardless of flight mode (except manual of course).

Failsafe is one of the advanced functions for the autopilot system. If this fuction is selected, Failsafe will be triggered when the Main Controller loses the control signal. The multi-rotor will automatically land if the Failsafe mode is active, or return to home if in GPS mode using the GPS module.

The above copied from Naza assistant. That seems to imply that RTH works only in GPS mode :?

discv said:
Failsafe is one of the advanced functions for the autopilot system. If this fuction is selected, Failsafe will be triggered when the Main Controller loses the control signal. The multi-rotor will automatically land if the Failsafe mode is active, or return to home if in GPS mode using the GPS module.

The above copied from Naza assistant. That seems to imply that RTH works only in GPS mode :?

Not sure we're all clear here...

If enabled, RTH will occur regardless of flight mode, GPS (a.k.a 'Phantom') or Atti., if GPS lock is available.

At any time during RTH if GPS lock is lost auto-land will occur.

This has always been my understanding.

N017RW said:
discv said:

Not sure we're all clear here...

If enabled, RTH will occur regardless of flight mode, GPS (a.k.a 'Phantom') or Atti., if GPS lock is available.

At any time during RTH if GPS lock is lost auto-land will occur.

This has always been my understanding.
Correct.

Have never experienced it, but that's how I read and understand it. No GPS on RTH should auto land. Keep in mind if flying in winds that auto land will look like a slow fly away since it will be at the winds mercy as it descends.

Not sure what will happen if pilot fails to wait for home lock prior to lift off and has GPS when RTH occurs. Could look at last saved home lock? Or just auto land? Not really willing to test this one out ;)

Not sure we are going to solve this. Without doubt, the assistant states that the craft will auto land when failsafe is activated- except if in GPS mode where it will RTH.

And Damon, your Phantom going into full RTH on low battery!! Surely not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj