Should I test the Failsafe (GPS) and other quesiton.

Reaction score
Greetings all. I don't fly with the NAZA software yet. I like to keep things plain and simple. I do wonder though about turning off the transmitter during an uneventful mid-flight to see the RTH failsafe work. Part of me says don't do it unless you have to do it and there is no reason to do it. What would (did) you do? Right now I'm really leaning towards not tempting fate and just letting it be. Also, another question, if I turn off the transmitter to get it to RTH and turn it back on while in GPS mode, I won't establish control right again will I? I'd have to go into my IOS WiFi settings and re-link to the Phantom wouldn't I? Thank you.

Regards,
J.

If you really want to test it, take it to an open field and test it from no more than 100 feet away. But before that make SURE you know what you're doing and what to expect. It takes about 3 or 4 seconds without signal the trigger RTH. They will be some of the longest seconds in your life.

JWarren said:
Greetings all. I don't fly with the NAZA software yet. I like to keep things plain and simple. I do wonder though about turning off the transmitter during an uneventful mid-flight to see the RTH failsafe work. Part of me says don't do it unless you have to do it and there is no reason to do it. What would (did) you do? Right now I'm really leaning towards not tempting fate and just letting it be. Also, another question, if I turn off the transmitter to get it to RTH and turn it back on while in GPS mode, I won't establish control right again will I? I'd have to go into my IOS WiFi settings and re-link to the Phantom wouldn't I? Thank you.

Regards,
J.
Test at your own risk and ensure that you have a good home point saved by ensuring you have 6+ satellites locked after you start your motors... wait a good 10 seconds... Also, if you engage failsafe, be aware that your home point is only accurate to so many feet... i can't remember exactly how many. So don't be standing next to water or a cliff and expect it to come back exactly where you launched. I never tried it, but I believe once you turn the Tx on to recover a failsafe, it should provide you control. Someone correct me on this... is it absolutely necessary to switch S1 down and back to top to regain?

Also, your WIFI settings are totally independent of your controller. Wifi is 2.4gGhz. The controller or Transmitter (Tx) is 5.8Ghz. Failsafe will not effect your Wifi and First Person Video (FPV). Make sure your phantom is higher than the tallest obstacle before going into failsafe.

You should test a manually-activated FailSafe just to make sure you know it works in case you really do lose control signal, something you WILL eventually do as you venture further away. Make sure you have a Home Point recorded, >6 satellites locked, and insure that you know how to regain control before do it. To regain control, turn the transmitter back on, flip S1 (the right switch) to the middle position, and hit any stick to assume manual control. Once she is responding to your control inputs, make sure to flip S1 back to the uppermost position so the Phantom is back in GPS mode so it hold position!

Dirty Bird said:
You should test a manually-activated FailSafe just to make sure you know it works in case you really do lose control signal, something you WILL eventually do as you venture further away. Make sure you have a Home Point recorded, >6 satellites locked, and insure that you know how to regain control before do it. To regain control, turn the transmitter back on, flip S1 (the right switch) to the middle position, and hit any stick to assume manual control. Once she is responding to your control inputs, make sure to flip S1 back to the uppermost position so the Phantom is back in GPS mode so it hold position!

Thank you both. Dirty Bird, if I'm not using NAZA, will flipping S1 to the middle doing anything? I understood it was only useful compass calibration when you aren't using NAZA. Thank you, this is a lot of help to me.

I have been in NAZA mode since day one but I believe, even in Phantom mode, you have to flip S1 to the middle position to regain manual control. Confirm that in the manual just to be 100% certain.

Thank you. I got into the Phantom via Assist Software to try and set my S2 as the IOC control but had no luck. Not user friendly in the least, but I'm know there are some Youtube vids and I have that patti's page linked that might do the trick for me.

Regards,
Joel

You have to enable NAZA mode first. At the main screen, top right as I recall, it shows the mode you are in. If it says VISION then you will need to change it to NAZA mode. If I recall, you click Vision and it will switch to NAZA. Then you can set your enable IOC and set your S1 preference the the third position (Failsafe or Manual...I recommend Failsafe).

Thanks guys, Shepard, I've read the manual, many times over. Just finished watching a great youtube video that will allow me to easily get into NAZA mode when I get the new PV2+ in (sending back new one tomorrow due to gimbal problem). The reason I want to fly in NAZA (I'm not sure why DJI tries to persuade you not to) is so I can have the IOC home lock on S2 down set. My understanding is I push S2 all the way to the bottom and pull back on right stick, it will being the Phantom back to me from where ever it is if I have lost it. I also want to set the S1 bottom position as a second failsafe and the middle positon at ATTI. Knock on wood, but the Marionville video pretty much walks you right through everything (that the manual surely does not).

Best wishes,
Joel

Yes, your description of the home lock is correct. You are the center of the circle. Where ever it's at, pull back on right stick, it comes back to center of the circle. I actually use it to fly as well since you can fly irrespective of yaw position by pressing forward and left/right with right stick while in home lock. It works really well and allows for some great camera control while flying.

Shepherd said:
JWarren said:
Thanks guys, Shepard, I've read the manual, many times over.

If you have truly read the manual(s) many times over then you apparently are having a great deal of trouble understanding them.

Thursday:

"My only complaint is that DJI should tell you more about what the S1 and in particular S2 buttons are for. If someone could give me a short rundown I'd appreciate it. The S2 is for the IOC and used to bring the aircraft back to you if you flip it down all the way? "

Friday:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18371&p=167694#p167694

Still Friday:

"Today though for one second it said "signal lost" on my screen and I didn't know what to do,"

Still Friday:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=18394&p=167902#p167902

etc., etc.

If you'd spend half the amount of time helping people (if you are able) as you do keeping track of newbie's posts you might feel a bit better about yourself and have a better attitude. With that said, never fear ol'Shep, all my NAZA questions have been answered and I have seen light. Not only that but I'll happily help anyone that has any questions. Lastly, you don't like my questions, don't read my posts or look for an ignore function. If you can't find an ignore function, as the moderators for one. Better yet, read the manual for the message boards. Best wishes to you.

J.

Honestly Shep, I don't like these keyboard wars and don't get involved with them, but you are saying I'm returning my Phantom because I don't understand it? If you like my posts and have read them all, you know why I'm returning it, the gimbal isn't working correctly. I do understand it that much. If you understand something that I don't that will fix it, by all means, amaze me and I'll keep you laughing like a hyena for a long as you want. Best to you,

Joel

Jwarren you are doing the right thing by reading and studying all you can. Your comments make it sound like you understand the naza features well enough to go for it. I can tell you I tested RTH my first flight with my P2V. Never have needed it since with my V or V+. Although I test home position using HL every flight before going past about 100'. I take off, hover, test the controls, fly out to about 100' distance and 30' up and test HL. If all seems normal, off I go.

So how can a non-functioning gimbal be pilot error. In my 6 flights or so I had zero hard landings. I fail to understand, maybe I am lazy or a slow thinker, how piloting can cause the problem with my gimbal.

BlackTracer said:
Jwarren you are doing the right thing by reading and studying all you can. Your comments make it sound like you understand the naza features well enough to go for it. I can tell you I tested RTH my first flight with my P2V. Never have needed it since with my V or V+. Although I test home position using HL every flight before going past about 100'. I take off, hover, test the controls, fly out to about 100' distance and 30' up and test HL. If all seems normal, off I go.

Thank you, sir

Shepherd said:
JWarren said:
Honestly Shep, I don't like these keyboard wars and don't get involved with them, but you are saying I'm returning my Phantom because I don't understand it? If you like my posts and have read them all, you know why I'm returning it, the gimbal isn't working correctly. I do understand it that much. If you understand something that I don't that will fix it, by all means, amaze me and I'll keep you laughing like a hyena for a long as you want. Best to you,

Joel

"I had been unable to get the DJI Phantom 2 Vision + Assist and R/C assist software to work so I thought I might as well learn or experiment on this unit before I shipped it back. Come to find out, they weren't working because I had not downloaded and used the DJI Win driver software. "

There's that lack of reading/understanding the manual thing again...

SURVEY SAYS:

Pilot error.

And Shep, the reason I posted that is because I'm sure another slow thinker like myself will have the same problem and they might read that thread and they will have a answer.

JWarren,
Don't get caught up in a "keyboard" war with a douchebag that has contributed 6 whole times to this forum (5 of which do nothing but belittle you). He (or she) is the self-appointed High Sheriff of the RTFM Patrol. He probably has another handle that is in charge of the NAZA Police.

I really don't understand the confusion with naza mode. I've been flying the naza since it came out.. I understand at first the lights are confusing , but I figured it out , read some post and watched you tube videos. Not that frigging hard guys! I really think a lot of newbys will ask a question without trying to figure it out themselves. I don't mine helping anyone , but c'mon you have help yourself a little. I bet if you do a google search about any naza , phantom, question you'll find it.
Then you have people who shouldn't have one these at all , sorry some people just don't have it.

Well, I fully understand the NAZA now. My biggest confusion was that I thought I had to assign each and every position on the S1 and S2 switch. I did not know that simply switching to NAZA mode did everything that I wanted and assigned everything to where I wanted it to be. But I'll say this much, I'm not going to belittle anyone or take the time to make a shill account and harass new users. I'll gladly pass along what folks here have been kind enough to help me with.

Regards,
J.

Actually I think they should just come with naza mode , phantom mode just dumbs it down for newbys, would stop a lot of confusion.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31