Should I Return the P3Pro or will i get the same Result?

Reaction score
So I'm a relatively new pilot, but I had a lot of fun with a P3 standard for a bit. I really enjoyed it so I decided to upgrade to a P3 Professional. I've only had it a week, but it's been a total fail so far. I've read all the threads on here about the firmware upgrade problems, but I don't know enough about the firmware/software to definitively know if that's the problem I'm facing like many others on here. I did all the upgrades correctly, but even straight out of the box I was having all kinds of trouble with the live feed to the iphone.

First of all, all I get non stop is the weak transmission message.......the video feed cuts in and out randomly, but the thing is it cuts out even at a range of 1 foot! Literally, it doesn't matter how far away the drone is from the remote, I never can get a clean signal. Of course the range has also been an issue but a lot worse than I've read on here........About the furthest I can fly it is a couple of hundred feet away (all the while having the video feed cutting in and out). I've tried it at multiple locations all with the same result. So my question is whether I should swap it out for another and try again or does this sound like the firmware issues that others have been dealing with that I would get by getting another drone? And of course is there any other issue that I haven't thought of that could be causing problems? I never had any trouble with the standard for the short time I had it.

- Buck

So I'm a relatively new pilot, but I had a lot of fun with a P3 standard for a bit. I really enjoyed it so I decided to upgrade to a P3 Professional. I've only had it a week, but it's been a total fail so far. I've read all the threads on here about the firmware upgrade problems, but I don't know enough about the firmware/software to definitively know if that's the problem I'm facing like many others on here. I did all the upgrades correctly, but even straight out of the box I was having all kinds of trouble with the live feed to the iphone.

First of all, all I get non stop is the weak transmission message.......the video feed cuts in and out randomly, but the thing is it cuts out even at a range of 1 foot! Literally, it doesn't matter how far away the drone is from the remote, I never can get a clean signal. Of course the range has also been an issue but a lot worse than I've read on here........About the furthest I can fly it is a couple of hundred feet away (all the while having the video feed cutting in and out). I've tried it at multiple locations all with the same result. So my question is whether I should swap it out for another and try again or does this sound like the firmware issues that others have been dealing with that I would get by getting another drone? And of course is there any other issue that I haven't thought of that could be causing problems? I never had any trouble with the standard for the short time I had it.

- Buck

Are you connecting your iPhone using a USB cable to the controller.
The pro does not connect using wi-fi like the standard does.

I had issues at first, but once I got all of my firmware updated, calibrated the IMU and the Gimbal, it's been relatively smooth sailing. Flew my first one mile mission yesterday, no loss of signal or video. Of course, I live rural.

Did you try IMU calibration?

An IMU calibration is unlikely to fix range issues. Lots of things can cause that particular problem but it's certainly not normal and certainly not acceptable.

If this is a brand new P3P you should expect much better performance. Where did you buy it from? A brick and mortar store should at least be able to look at it and tell you if you are doing something wrong. If you bought it online, I'd send it back and get another one.

We would all be pretty unhappy if this was a normal behavior.

This is not normal. Check your WiFi channel settings. Are you on Auto? You can also try the WiFi 32 channel hack. I've done it and run on channel 31 perfectly. This is a mod to your app only and won't effect warranty of your drone.

In the Go app what is your HD setting on? 4mb, 6mb, etc?
If it is not on 4 then change it to 4 and see if that helps. Also, what channel is the RC on? It might be on auto. Try choosing manual and changing it to channel 21 - just trying to get you on a channel that has the least amount of interference.
Can't hurt, right?
Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you keeping your antennas upright and parallel to the bird? Do you get the weak signal message while outside or inside? I always get that message when I power up inside my home but not outside. Have you tried changing the video resolution display on your phone? Your video feed cutting out is likely only happening in the feed to your phone, not what the phantom is actually recording. Sounds like a resolution problem and your phone is having a hard time keeping up. Watching a recorded portion of video from the phantom, not the 780 feed to your phone, should prove out the issue.

Thanks for all the responses! As far as the simple stuff.....yes, I am using the usb cable etc. i lowered the resolution on the go app to see if that would help the video feed but it's the same at any resolution. I have not tried doing the IMU calibration, so that will be my next step. I do get the same problems whether indoor or outdoor. I really haven't messed with the channel selection simply because on my standard, I didn't have any range issues or video feed issues using its simple wifi.......that's why I was thinking it may be a defective RC or drone. I'm out of town right now, so I tried it in a different city and still the same issues, so I wouldn't think it was the area per se. What is the iphone 6 preferred video feed resolution?

As mentioned, don't mess with IMU calibrations as it has nothing to do with it.

You shouldn't have to change your iPhone 6 video resolution, or channels.

I personally would return it immediately. I know, that means waiting, but it seems like the best course to me.

Chris

Reactions: Wibble
I had some "weak" transmission issues recently and all is fine since changing channels. I had forgotten that I had taken it off "auto" and had it fixed on another channel therefore, it wasn't able to find a more stable one. The behavior you're experiencing isn't normal therefore, I would try the above to ensure it isn't related to channel selection. In regards to IMU calibration, this should've been completed even before your first flight. I'm guessing there were some steps you failed to complete due to the excitement of getting her airborne.

Same thing happened to me. I took it back and got a different one. Guess what. Everything works better. If you keep it, you have to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Get it swapped.

Parallel antenna
32 channel hacks
Dropping the transmission rate to 4Mb/s

And all the other advice here may/will give a fault free P3 a decent hike in range but there is something wrong with yours so get it changed.

You say you've tried different areas so it's not an interference issue. Even if you have your antenna angled all wrong on the worse channel with the transmission rate cracked right up it should not cut out at 1 foot, end of!

Reactions: WetDog

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20