Should I return P3A since P4 Release is imminent

Really caught me off guard, and I have heard a lot of rumors claiming Phantom 4 is coming out. I bought a Phantom 3 Advanced Last week for $719. Originally wanted to purchase the Professional, but since it isn't on sale, I held back on that. But it just went down too. Should I just return the P3A for now, and wait for the P4? Only used it once or twice to test whether it works or not. I don't really use it, and it is more for me to use on vacations, but since I aren't going to any, I can wait. If I decides to return it however, I would have to somehow sell all of my virtually brand new batteries and the dji backpack as well. What do you guys think?
Yeah and then return the P4 for the P4P then turn that one in for the P5 it's imminent [emoji23]

Reactions: Tommy1980
P4 or whatever is new will definitely be more $$$. Dji crushed 3DR and pretty much everyone else in the current pricing category with the P3. Mission accomplished now they will go after Yuneec and the new wave of craft coming out.
Yeah but the solo looks WAY cooler though.. lol

Even if the P4 is announced on March 1st it will be a 1-3 months before it actually starts hitting the shelves. Then naturally there will be bugs and firmware issues right off the bat. Better to wait to get the bugs ironed out and see some reviews first. Usually the first gen's have the most issues and its always better to wait for the second batch to come out with revisions.

I was wondering about that too - what happens to all the drones that are returned simply because someone changed their mind? When you buy a P3, you want to know that it's brand new, not somebody's change of heart. If I tried to return mine without it being faulty, I'd get nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

It takes one retailer to offer generous returns and all follow suit... I.e. Cell Phones.

The cost for DJI to produce a Phantom is probably a few hundred dollars. They're making money hand over fist. Don't feel bad for the tech giant. If returns were leading to losses they would stop doing them.

Lots of people buy, then try and return! It's the way of the world. How else would you know you wanted one of these quadcopters?

Even if the P4 is announced on March 1st it will be a 1-3 months before it actually starts hitting the shelves. Then naturally there will be bugs and firmware issues right off the bat. Better to wait to get the bugs ironed out and see some reviews first. Usually the first gen's have the most issues and its always better to wait for the second batch to come out with revisions.

I'll be ore ordering and getting the first ones! That's what I do with everything. I hate having old tech. What makes me love it is the newest and greatest!

I get a new iPhone every year. I sell my old one in the original box with all the accessories still new, and go buy a new phone outright. I've been doing that since 2007 and to date I've never had to buy a iPhone with my own money. I even take my iPhone in sometimes and get a replacement before selling it... If there's anything wrong with it!

I'll be ore ordering and getting the first ones! That's what I do with everything. I hate having old tech. What makes me love it is the newest and greatest!

I get a new iPhone every year. I sell my old one in the original box with all the accessories still new, and go buy a new phone outright. I've been doing that since 2007 and to date I've never had to buy a iPhone with my own money. I even take my iPhone in sometimes and get a replacement before selling it... If there's anything wrong with it!

I have to admit, i am exactly the same way. I'll be preordering mine as well instead of wait.
and have done the same thing since 07 with my iPhone's! cheers to excitement of new products you love! [emoji482]

Yeah but the solo looks WAY cooler though.. lol
Yeah, but have you seen an Inspire? And look how terrible the Solo's range is, even when compared to a P3S with no Lightbridge. Plus a Solo even remotely comparable to a P3P would cost about $1800!!

Yes and walk cause the new kia will be out in august, payphones cause i-phone 7 is in january ...
and u can go on and on. Really dumb reason to post

I'm in the same boat mate.just bought my p3a 4 weeks and I'm not happy with the still image camera at all .I'm tired of folk saying its as good as a high end camera phone when it's nowhere near..my Samsung s6 edge blows it away in video and stills no problem.
I'm getting a replacement advanced drone tomorrow from dealer in the hope its camera is better but I'm in 2 minds just to get a refund and wait for the phantom 4 which I'm sure DOES have a decent camera.

I'm getting a replacement advanced drone tomorrow from dealer in the hope its camera is better but I'm in 2 minds just to get a refund and wait for the phantom 4 which I'm sure DOES have a decent camera.
There was/is a known issue of a batch of bad P3A's with horrible cameras. Hopefully your replacement P3A is better :)

This is best time to get a p3 in my eyes reason been they all have been drop in price, the latest batches are out now with the upgraded motors etc so you are getting better for less but it all depends how soon you require a drone and what extras the p4 will have and if they will be more beneficial to you than the p3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat mate.just bought my p3a 4 weeks and I'm not happy with the still image camera at all .I'm tired of folk saying its as good as a high end camera phone when it's nowhere near..my Samsung s6 edge blows it away in video and stills no problem.
My samsung photos and videos look better than the P3 also.... Before post processing. The samsung also beats the unprocessed RAW files from my 1 series canon DSLR's.

If you loved tech that much you wouldn't bother with iPhones, they are out of date by the time they come out and are designed for technophobes since they are so locked down and restricted!

Never be first to buy ANY product more complex than a toaster (and watch out for those new toasters).

I don't upgrade any Apple software until the x.3 release, NEVER buy a rev 1.0 Apple product and always scan the relevant forums for issues.

Otherwise you're a beta tester.
Windows is the exception. Microsoft Products are always perfect, first try. ROTFL

My samsung photos and videos look better than the P3 also.... Before post processing. The samsung also beats the unprocessed RAW files from my 1 series canon DSLR's.
?? What's the point in all that extra work just to get the picture as good as it should be from beginning.
Post processing shouldn't be needed.
In the advertising DJI claim crystal clear images and HD video.......video isn't bad I admit but either my camera is a faulty one or DJI is full of crap .
Nvm new drone is coming tomorrow so fingers crossed eh lol

?? What's the point in all that extra work just to get the picture as good as it should be from beginning.
Post processing shouldn't be needed.
In the advertising DJI claim crystal clear images and HD video.......video isn't bad I admit but either my camera is a faulty one or DJI is full of crap .
Nvm new drone is coming tomorrow so fingers crossed eh lol
Hopefully you will get a good unit (the returned unit being off spec).

I understand your point completely. For some post processing is something they would rather not engage in. Fair enough.

Im in the other camp (by choice). I find the the processing applied by the samsung phones (I have note 4 and s5 &s6) looks great to most however way too saturated and crunchy for my taste.

I bought my PH3 P last Xmas and while I'm happy to explore all of its features, whatever DJI brings out to replace the PH3P is not a concern to me right now. One should master what you have now, before hoping over to a bigger bird. Learn, absorb and do what needs to be done to gain proficiently. Once you have that, and have probably by then 'outgrown' your PH2P, then you can upgrade to an Inspire 1.

Over here in Australia, one can fly a Drone up to 400ft weighing no more than 2kgs gross weight for pleasure/profit without a license. Over the parameters, one must have a current UAV license issued by our CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) who are same as the FAA in the US. Anyone caught operating a big bird without a license, faces huge fines as you are now flying in airspace of a fix or rotary wing aircraft. To get this license, one must complete a 5 day full time course, which includes exams, sim and real flights and be judged on your ability to know the same rules and fly as going for fixed or rotary wing aircraft, license.

Once you have that license, you must maintain a Pilot's Log Book and inform CASA of every flight above 400ft. Under that, you don't need to. When the CASA inspectors do random checks on their licensed pilots be that for a UAV, plane or helicopter, your records must tally up with their records based on what you told them. If they don't, you're done for. My instructor told me that if you are not sure what to do even in an emergency, then don't fly! Simple as that.
I was hoping you could enlighten us JamesB however it seems the proposed sub 2kg "small RPA" commercial use relaxation is still subject of consideration by CASA with the opportunity for public comment just closing. We still cant fly commercially without an operators certificate (i suspect that is what you mean by Licence).

As to the five day course you reffered to (provided by CASA certified RTO's) that will give you a letter of recomendation as to proficiency in flying your RPA to present to CASA as well as some assistance in preparimg your operatioms manual(s). You will still need to present for at least one intetview with CASA and pass a basic theory exam.

The hard one is certification to fly out of VLOS. Not many approvals granted there. This is where a larger bird will be an advantage if you have a need to operate further from your launch point.

I was hoping you could enlighten us JamesB however it seems the proposed sub 2kg "small RPA" commercial use relaxation is still subject of consideration by CASA with the opportunity for public comment just closing.
Actually the time for public submissions closed at the end of MAY 2014 !!
NPRM 1309OS - Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems | Civil Aviation Safety Authority
CASA have several times said they are on track to have this done by the end of the year (last year).
Maybe this year?
Who knows what they are doing .. it sure looks like a whole lot of nothing.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4