Should I return it before i fly?

Reaction score
Hello all.

I ordered my P4 from DJI store and it is on the way (I will get it 29.3.2016). After finding this forum and problems (Range, Battery, Gimbal,..) with P4 users have, I don't know what to do...

Should I return it before even opening the box? For that price I get P3P with extra batteries and with no problems in range,.. I am just not sure what to do :)

For now range is not that kind of a problem with me because I don't need to fly 10000 feet away...but I don't know what will happen in future :) You guys think that this is firmware issue and will be solved with firmware update or something?

Thanks.

The problems IMO will be solved with software updates. The P4 is the just the next installment in the future of this technology. I personally would have waited for the bugs to be sorted as with any new product be it a new model of car or appliance. DJI will sort it out. Enjoy.

Thanks... Was hoping for answer like that :)

I sent back my unopened P4 on Monday, for a full refund.
I will wait for the bugs to be worked out in the next revision of the P4
If you keep your P4, please post your evaluation

Dude. This is an Internet complaint forum!!!!! It's pretty bad about all the bad things. Remember most people complain about what it's not then how awesome it is. I'm sure there are more happy flyers that have not even reported back to forums then all the negatives.. The P3 was the same way when it first came out. But most kinks where worked out. Just saying

I just ordered one and it will be here in the morning

After finding this forum and problems (Range, Battery, Gimbal,..) with P4 users have, I don't know what to do
Like all Phantoms, this one is a work in progress too. While there are a few very loud, disgruntled people here, there are many other people who are perfectly happy with their Phantoms. Not everyone is out to set a long distance record ;)

Like all Phantoms, this one is a work in progress too. While there are a few very loud, disgruntled people here, there are many other people who are perfectly happy with their Phantoms. Not everyone is out to set a long distance record ;)

Yes I see... I will update info when I get my drone and test it... :)

I bought my P4 the day they were released. It is my first and I had been considering buying one for close to a year. I have been extremely pleased with it thus far, here are a few thoughts from a complete newb:

I do have some experience with LiPo batteries so the initial flight times haven't concerned me as I expect them to improve with use.

The range is sufficient for me at this point, I do not intend to let it fly out of my sight until I'm extremely comfortable with it and confident that I can bring it back.

I am very impressed with the technology and features packed into this thing for the price tag. It is extremely easy to fly and I haven't come close to crashing it yet. Admittedly I am taking things slow as I learn.

I understand the concerns of the more experienced folks and the P4 apparently not living up to their expectations. As a newcomer though, I can't see anyone buying a P4 as their first and being disappointed in it.

Reactions: l3ksy and Tobrouk
I bought my P4 the day they were released. It is my first and I had been considering buying one for close to a year. I have been extremely pleased with it thus far, here are a few thoughts from a complete newb:

I do have some experience with LiPo batteries so the initial flight times haven't concerned me as I expect them to improve with use.

The range is sufficient for me at this point, I do not intend to let it fly out of my sight until I'm extremely comfortable with it and confident that I can bring it back.

I am very impressed with the technology and features packed into this thing for the price tag. It is extremely easy to fly and I haven't come close to crashing it yet. Admittedly I am taking things slow as I learn.

I understand the concerns of the more experienced folks and the P4 apparently not living up to their expectations. As a newcomer though, I can't see anyone buying a P4 as their first and being disappointed in it.
Exactly! Actually on this forum 99% of unhappy people are P3 users! Coming from a P1 this new phantom is simply awesome!!!!! Forget the battery/range/gimbal problems!

Coming from someone who purchased from DJI only to find that horizon drift was still an issue, and gimbal calibration failed, i would suggest the following:

Unbox your drone, keep ALL STICKERS, ALL PACKAGING ALL EVERYTHING. Put the battery and controller on charge and read the manual, download app etc.

Next update firmware, and keep reading manual/tutorials etc.

Next calibrate compass, then put drone on perfectly level platform, and calibrate imu, then calibrate compass. Go through all settings and make sure all calibrations are functional.

I made the mistake of doing everything but calibrating the gimbal after my first flight to find out the gimbal failed calibration 5x in a row on a perfectly level surface. After emailing back and forth with DJI i can guarantee the following:

The way the 'return' policy is worded, you are basically screwed if you find anything wrong with your drone after unboxing it. They will do everything in their power to prevent you from returning the drone, even if you are missing a sticker (which they conveniently tell you to remove in their tutorials). They will only offer 'repair' and no exchange, and will flat out DENY you from returning the drone.

My biggest dissapointment was after finally getting the drone calibrated, and recalibrated - eventually the gimball calibrated.... only to fly up and check out the horizon with no wind, just in P mode/ follow (not FPV) and the horizon drifting one way or another. GIMBALL DRIFT IS PRESENT in the phantom 4. You have to either be ok with it drifting before you fly it because you wont be able to return it, or return it not knowing how bad the horizon drift is. There is no other way if you buy from DJI.

My advice? Return if you buy from dji without opening, buy from apple, fly it during the apple return policy, then if you dont like how bad horizon drift is, return to apple.

Great suggestion. That is what I probably should do. My personal issue with me is that I am like a 10year old kid that cannot wait for their toy... ;) have to figure things out now :) I am comming from Blade 350 qx3 so the step is huge and I think I wont be dissapointed......

My advice? Return if you buy from dji without opening
Why? Are you assuming most Phantoms will need to be returned?

yeah, i flew blade helis, and the first thing i noticed after taking off is the drone literally does not move in the wind. Its NUTS!!! I was anticipating taking off from a non level surface, and the thing just automatically adjusts itself. Its mind blowing how much you don't have to do (in P mode) in order to keep the drone stable.

Reactions: Larry.Marshall
Why? Are you assuming most Phantoms will need to be returned?
I am assuming nothing. I am stating that you should be either ok with horizon drift, or not okay with horizon drift before you take off. Given the fact that that the phantom 4 does have horizon/gimbal drift, and given the fact that you cannot decide after you fly it that you would like to return the drone based on horizon drift (which will not be fixed based on what DJI has done with phantom 3 series) you should protect yourself as a customer from DJI's horrible 'return' policy which is crafted to make you keep your drone no matter what.

DJI's return policy is equal to that of a car dealer saying you have to keep your car after the first test drive. It is absolutely predatory in nature.

I don't understand the issue. Perhaps you could post a clip of the video as an explanation?
Agreed. Please provide more details.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers