Should I Purchase a P2V+ or P3?

Reaction score
Hello,

I am completely new to drones and quadcopters and ultimately know nothing of the sort except for YouTube videos watching random tutorial functions, flyaways, and various gimbal mods and stuff. I do not own a gopro but I've been wanting to purchase one for the longest time as well. I'm 24 and I finally have extra disposable income to really go in on a new hobby -- videography.

Should I purchase the P2V+ or P3?
- My budget is about $1000 and two of my biggest concerns are flyaways and shooting 4K video (just even having that option would be very nice or is it even really necessary). As I have no experience, I've come here to really ask for expertise in this matter. Would it be smarter for me to purchase a P2V+ since there will be a price drop or just grab the P3 because the technology is better? I like the sensors on the ground but not sure if it will be worth it. I'm also interested if the P2V+ software has improved drastically so help and thoughts would be great, thanks!

On paper the P3A at 999 bucks does everything better then the P2V+. The hardest thing for noobies is takeoff and landing and the P3A does that automatically. It also can fly indoors safely has 3 times the range , streams video in 720p , and captures 1080p 60fps compared to 1080p 30fps. The only drawback in going with the P3A is it is unproven. There maybe issues with the P3A on release day like the Inspire 1 had. If I was just getting in I would want the one with the most value and the P3A you get more for the money hope this helps.

Hello,

I am completely new to drones and quadcopters and ultimately know nothing of the sort except for YouTube videos watching random tutorial functions, flyaways, and various gimbal mods and stuff. I do not own a gopro but I've been wanting to purchase one for the longest time as well. I'm 24 and I finally have extra disposable income to really go in on a new hobby -- videography.

- My budget is about $1000 and two of my biggest concerns are flyaways and shooting 4K video (just even having that option would be very nice or is it even really necessary). As I have no experience, I've come here to really ask for expertise in this matter. Would it be smarter for me to purchase a P2V+ since there will be a price drop or just grab the P3 because the technology is better? I like the sensors on the ground but not sure if it will be worth it. I'm also interested if the P2V+ software has improved drastically so help and thoughts would be great, thanks!
Add a Flytrex Live 3G to your budget then. It's a whole different world when you take the fly-away fear out of the equation. Yes, I know the bird can still fly away, but at least you know you can go get it when it finally finds the ground!

Add a Flytrex Live 3G to your budget then. It's a whole different world when you take the fly-away fear out of the equation. Yes, I know the bird can still fly away, but at least you know you can go get it when it finally finds the ground!

It is essentially a GPS tracker correct? My biggest fear is really just the water. Also, I see many P2's for around $300-400 so I'm debating whether to just purchase one of these as a demo starter or just 'go big or go home'

It is essentially a GPS tracker correct? My biggest fear is really just the water. Also, I see many P2's for around $300-400 so I'm debating whether to just purchase one of these as a demo starter or just 'go big or go home'
GPS tracker that pings in real time over a 3G network of your choosing. But yeah, wont help you if it goes down in the drink. If you want a starter, spend $60 for one. No use burning a third of your budget on a full fledged quad just to learn.

Welcome to the Phantom Phorum, chronotrigga.
No matter what you decide to buy, I strongly recommend you buy it from a dealer that services what they sell. I speak from experience.
If you are worried about a flyaway, do add a tracker to your shopping list.
If you buy a P2, open the following URL and read it, cover to cove, before and after you fly:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mv8d1hohc3mceym/DJI Phantom Vision Summary Guide.pdf?dl=0
I also suggest you put your location into your Phantom profile.
And after all this, have fun!!

Reactions: moswissa
Rember if you do decide to go with the phantom 3, the entry level model does not shoot 4k. the next step up/professional model does plus it eliminates the fish eye look in your video

Personally, I'm not too keen on the fisheye, distorted horizon, look... so I'd plump for the Phantom 3. Both the advanced (1080p60) and the Pro (4K30) both have flat field optics, so no curved horizon or distorted verticals.
This will save lots of time in the edit suite...

I can relate to you, I'm same age as you and my first drone was the PV2, prior to that I had 0 experience with flying anything including a cheap RC helicopter. I lurked this forum for a good 3 weeks, read the manual online, and checked out numerous youtube videos. I also feared flyaways like no other! My first flight was scary but it was the most fun I have ever had. I've had 150+ flights and not a single hiccup except one where my drone got stuck in RTH more for 5min just hovering in place.

I recommend you take your time like i did and go hard the first time meaning get yourself the p3. its ready to fly in FPV. if you get the go pro you will need to spend way more on FPV equipment and its way more complex but rewarding. when i got my vision i wish i would have got the vision + which was 300 more.

good luck

Hello,

Whichever one you get be sure to give the battery a good tap before you take flight!!! I didn't on my 3rd or 4th time up and the thing came out at about 5 feet alr and messed up a motor and a speed controller. Otherwise this is an INCREDIBLE device.

For not even touching a R/C aircraft controller before I'm quite proud of myself on my first time out. DJI knocked it out of the box when they created this bad boy!

OH - I own a Phantom Vision 2+ Verson 3.0.

Go big if you can spare the change. THEN TAKE YOUR TIME AND FLY IT CLOSE!!!!! The first time I flew mine was in a big public park when no one was around.

Remember: It doesn't matter which one you get, they're all going to depreciate like rocks so buy what you can afford. But having one with the gimbal is an absolute MUST.........and I say that, even though I haven't used the camera yet.

I don't care if you're a snowboarder, jetskier, airplane pilot, or race car driver, THIS is the most amazing thing you will ever lay your hands on!!!

chronotrigga, welcome to the forum. I have the vision + V3 & love it. I would recommend the P3 though. There will be so much more you can do with it. The camera is better. As far as ground sensors, they are good for about 12 ' only. Whatever you decide, spend a lot of time reading, watching videos & asking questions. If you know someone that has one, see if they will help you on your first flight. As someone recommended, purchase from a reputable dealer. You will get the service you deserve should you need it. I would also recommend putting on your location soeople near you can be easer to find.
Good luck & enjoy!

On paper the P3A at 999 bucks does everything better then the P2V+. The hardest thing for noobies is takeoff and landing and the P3A does that automatically. It also can fly indoors safely has 3 times the range , streams video in 720p , and captures 1080p 60fps compared to 1080p 30fps. The only drawback in going with the P3A is it is unproven. There maybe issues with the P3A on release day like the Inspire 1 had. If I was just getting in I would want the one with the most value and the P3A you get more for the money hope this helps.
I have flown my phantom I am guessing 40 or so times. What is difficult about taking off and landing? I am not trying to be condescending I am just wanting to know what to be careful of. It seems almost automatic.

Hello,

@UnknownCaller pretty much hit it on the head. The value of the P3 does not even come close to that of the P2V+. Adding a Flytrex is definitely a good safety measure and Flytrex will coming out with a new model specific for the Phantom 3 in a few weeks.

If you have any questions about anything please feel free to reach out or give us a call.

Safe & happy flying to all!

-Mike

azisbest, it's usually is a failure to apply full power at takeoff - partial power often causes a tip-over....

The problem with landing is that the motors don't all stop at the same time, sometimes, and you can get a tip-over. Never happened to me since I always hand catch...

Others can surely add more...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen