should I order Groundstation?

Reaction score
I ordered the Aerial Media Pros Phantom 2 Pro pack a few days ago. http://aerialmediapros.com/store/home/5 ... -pack.html

- should I ask them to add Groundstation?

What kind of hardware components will this add to the system? BTU unit on the craft? and special receiver on the ground that plugs into an iPad....then i also have the diversity monitor to watch as well?

does you TX not work when you are using this?

does the BTU unit also allow you to upgrade your firmware without plugging into the PV ?

Thanks in advance for your help! Dave

Unless you are getting a big discount (doubtful), stick with what you already ordered as you will have your hands full for a while just learning that. Learn to fly before you become a push button pilot.

ianwood said:
Unless you are getting a big discount (doubtful), stick with what you already ordered as you will have your hands full for a while just learning that. Learn to fly before you become a push button pilot.

that is a good point....i assume i could add this on "fairly" easily a a later date.

It was actually good DJI took as long as they did with the firmware to make the Ground Station functional, I learned quite a bit within that time including some things that could have gotten me into trouble :shock:
Take the time to learn, its worth it!

mcmax20 said:
It was actually good DJI took as long as they did with the firmware to make the Ground Station functional, I learned quite a bit within that time including some things that could have gotten me into trouble :shock:
Take the time to learn, its worth it!

like what for example?

if you haven't flown before you'll get a much better sense of what your limits are. You'll learn about safe heights, depth perception when using FPV, fail-safe operation, max wind you can fly in (and how it changes with altitude), led light signals and gps lock, etc... There's loads to learn before even trying the Ground Station, the manuals help a lot but practice and experimentation help the most.

You didn't just buy a phantom, you bought a whole bunch of different complicated hardware that comes in a nice complete RTF package. I did too but now you have to learn about each piece and how it works. Once you become an instrumental pilot using GS is a lot easier, pay lots of attention to the iOSD as its a valuable tool.

Nice package btw, I usually don't like the layout of custom cases but that one looks pretty good.

Didn't even really answer your original question. Should you add the Ground Station? I don't think the price will be going down much in the future so if you can see you'll use it then Yes, just keep it as an add-on for later. It comes with the 2.4 datalink ground unit w/antenna which is what uploads to the air end mounted on the phantom. It also comes with the BTU which connects to the datalink for use with the iPad. There is also a twin-usb cable used as a way to power the datalink but I recommend using a 12V source (based on my own experience).

The BTU does not go on the craft for normal use, it is used to talk to the ground end data link which then sends the information to the air end. When you send the phantom on a mission all the data it needs is uploaded to the air end. At this point the BTU and datalink are just to keep the iPad aware of where the phantom is on its mission, or to interrupt it if needed. The Tx will not function but you can tilt the gimbal during GS operation, you can take over by switching to ATTI and back to GPS.

I have not tried and do not know if the BTU can be used to update the firmware or change settings with the assistant app.

You don't need them to install it if it costs extra though, its pretty simple. I have mine attached with velcro so I can take it off when I'm not using it. The air end doesn't weigh much but every gram matters!

mcmax20 said:
if you haven't flown before you'll get a much better sense of what your limits are. You'll learn about safe heights, depth perception when using FPV, fail-safe operation, max wind you can fly in (and how it changes with altitude), led light signals and gps lock, etc... There's loads to learn before even trying the Ground Station, the manuals help a lot but practice and experimentation help the most.

You didn't just buy a phantom, you bought a whole bunch of different complicated hardware that comes in a nice complete RTF package. I did too but now you have to learn about each piece and how it works. Once you become an instrumental pilot using GS is a lot easier, pay lots of attention to the iOSD as its a valuable tool.

Nice package btw, I usually don't like the layout of custom cases but that one looks pretty good.

That all makes good sense. I have been flying a P2V for about 5 months - but the P2 + Futaba + Diversity + GoPro + H3-3D will be much different. Whats involved with adding it on later? lots of wiring connections? (Id rather not get into that stuff)

Sledge said:
mcmax20 said:

That all makes good sense. I have been flying a P2V for about 5 months - but the P2 + Futaba + Diversity + GoPro + H3-3D will be much different. Whats involved with adding it on later? lots of wiring connections? (Id rather not get into that stuff)

If you're asking about adding the GS on later, you just plug one end of the little canbus cable into the iosd and the other into the air end of the datalink. Then mount it on the phantom with the two antennas coming off at 90 degrees from each other. I have one down the right rear landing gear leg and one along the right side of the body, secured with medical tape. No soldering involved. Easy Peasy!

The fact you've flown the P2V will drastically shorten the amount of learning time you'll need with the P2, they're almost the same and yet not, you'll see what I mean when you get yours.

ianwood said:

I guess I am the brave one. Cause I only had mine about 45 days and add the mini iosd, ground station, and T8 radio. There is definitely a learning curve. In my opinion I think having the T8 first would have been better then getting familiar with stock radio then learning T8.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik