Should I open her up...OK I did and survived..

Re: Should I open her up...??

Fourblade said:
OK I'll wait until I've got some quiet time and do it...
But actual metal kitchen foil for the GPS mod?? Surely that's not all?
First of all, make sure you actually need it. Many do not. I suspect later ones do not. Mine was purchased in May and came with 3.00 firmware. It has always been just fine. [firmware version has nothing to do with the problem, just establishing a rough date frame for comparison]

Yea I've yet to see the need to open mine up..purchased in July, has been ok thus far. Just going to do the antenna mod first and see how that goes. I may open her up later.

I suppose it's one of those things that I won't know if there is an improvement in GPS acquisition and lock until a "before and after" test. I don't think I have a particular problem with sats on my P2V+ (bought August 12th 2014) but on occasion I do wonder why I only have 5 or 6 sats when the sat predictor websites indicate there's a lot more available for my location.
I've seen the Youtube videos where (for showing the potential difference) people have their Phantom outside locked on to sats and then simply raised the top of the bird off a few centimetres and there's an immediate increase in the number of sats. So I can see the possible advantage of the extra shielding.

I would recommend trying to just rotate the existing shieldpad 180 degrees putting the cable under the pad and have as little as possible of it sticking out. I went from 6-7 sats to 10-11 by doing that. I think having the cable exposed to the rest of the electronics is a really bad idea.

Just carefully pull off the shieldpad. Keep the cable going through the hole in the pad. Rotate the pad 180 deg and adjust the cable so it follows over to the other side under the pad. Press the pad back to its position.

It will be a little trickier to connect the cable to the baseboard since the cable is shorter now but not to hard. Depends on how much of the cable you leave sticking out.

Anayway, trying this first may fix the problem without adding additional shielding.

Fourblade said:
Tried looking on Sussex Models for Alucan but no search results although I did find this page but not sure which one would do the job?

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=29395

I also found this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Qual...162?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item461e16d782

What dya reckon?
Oops sorrty I rememebered it worng it is Aluclad here http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/sh ... p?id=22071 .Apologies again for the mistake

There is one way to find out about the warranty, give them a call or send them an email and ask them if you can remove the top shell to see if all the connections are secure, all they can say is either yes or know.

If they send an email saying yes you will have proof that they gave approval.

Happy flying

Since the screws are not tamper resistant and there are no seals, there is no way they would know anyhow, unless you damaged something inside.

Thanks guys all really helpful suggestions - and a bonus of having tracked down a good UK source for Aluclad too!!

Hi again, I've got the bird open and first I'm just going to try tucking the GPS cable under the stock insulation.
Question - when you plug the GPS cable in to the board - will it only go one way? Just checking as I don't want to insert it the wrong way round!

It can only be inserted one way, its keyed.

Thanks - all back together again.

It's a bit nerve wracking taking a screwdriver to your expensive gadget.. but it all looks good inside, no loose connectors that I can see.
I did a quick nip and tuck of the GPS cable (it's tricky to leave just enough poking out to reattach it when you put the lid back down)
I then had a quick flight (10.30am) and although the Sat Predictor website http://satpredictor.navcomtech.com/ was showing a maximum of 7 satellites for my location at that time (I know.. it's a crap amount)... the Phantom locked onto all of them even hitting 8 a few times!!

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 333
  • inside.jpg
    inside.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 351
  • satellites.png
    satellites.png
    29.2 KB · Views: 364
Mine is worse !!!!

The only good thing is from mid september its getting better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.31.41.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.31.41.png
    44.4 KB · Views: 315
Mine is not so hot either. Are you in Europe?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.34.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.34.46 PM.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 316
Not sure but in 1 month its so much better.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.50.14.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-22 at 12.50.14.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 330
That's why ours look so close. Beautiful area there, I have spent a lot of time in the Rota area. Near Jerez and Sevilla. I loved Spain.
I was also in Madrid for work and we drove out to Valencia one weekend. I want to go back there.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj