Should I keep the latest firmware ?

Reaction score
Today I've tried to downgrade my firmware following another thread in this forum. My goal is to be able to get to 1.5.70 which is known to be the best firmware. But I couldn't get there without having "gimbal gyroscope error" message and end up with a limpy gimbal. The only way to fix it is by updating to the 1.8.10.

Actually I don't have any problem with the current firmware except at my early days when I was faced with video lag. Problem was resolved after I switch it iPad mini 4. No more lag... I also have a decent range with my P3S. I'm getting about 500-600m flying around my house (bone stock in suburban area). I'm getting just under 900m flying along the beach. With 27dbm mod (terimakasih @PapaTita) combined with windsurfer, I was able to get about 1200m in my neighborhood.

My question is should I stick around with this firmware or is it better if I downgrade? Which firmware should I use? What kind of improvements should I expect?

I use latest FW after testing so many through the various incarnations DJI rolled out ... including GO. Range variation was found to NOT be dependent on which FW or GO ... but on climatic conditions and other factors.

I think it very easy to blame FW and GO for things like range when in fact in my testing showed them to be not the culprits.

If you are having reasonable range - what's the reason to change ? I reckon people make too big an issue about this and I think they should get out more and fly !!

Nigel

I use latest FW after testing so many through the various incarnations DJI rolled out ... including GO. Range variation was found to NOT be dependent on which FW or GO ... but on climatic conditions and other factors.

I think it very easy to blame FW and GO for things like range when in fact in my testing showed them to be not the culprits.

If you are having reasonable range - what's the reason to change ? I reckon people make too big an issue about this and I think they should get out more and fly !!

Nigel
Thank you very much... Agree on that. I think I'll stick around with this FW.
Another battery pack has just arrived today. Better to go out more and enjoy it as it is. :)

Honest - I think some like to make an issue of all this and then it filters down to new flyers who take it as gospel.

When I got into the testing late last year and into spring this ... I did it for two reasons. One for my own interest as just flying a P3S is boring to be honest and to give some evidence to others to make their choice of what to use ... to add to whatever they had found.

I spent many hours and days on it - testing many different combinations and also antenna systems. It all pointed to a number of items :

Ability of the PILOT / OWNER to fit gear correctly.
Angle of Antenna to aircraft especially with PLATE antenna
Ability to assess good orientation of controller to flight
WEATHER ! High / Low pressure conditions. Damp / Dry air.

When you consider that with latest 1.8.10 FW and both Litchi and GO 3.1.4 ... I had over 4500m range with Argtek and a simple Windsurfer behind the centre stick 5.8Ghz antenna ... makes you think !!

Nigel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20