Should I get the Spark?

Reaction score
I had a Phantom 3 standard a while back, and I enjoyed it a lot and flew it around. But one day it flew away far, lost connection and landed by the road, and I think it hit something, or got hit by a car. I am thinking of getting a Spark, because the main problems that I had of the phantom 3 were that it wasn't really portable, and I was always afraid that I would crash it into something. The Spark is small, and has object avoidance (I think) is small, and affordable. What are the downsides of a Spark, and is a good drone for it's price compared to other drones?

Not too sure about any competition, but it looks like a first of it's kind with its capabilities and size, the parrot drone is about the size of the mavic, the only problem with the spark may be it's handling in the wind, and it's short flight time

Youtube high wind tests show the Spark handles higher winds pretty well

I got the flyless package. Picked it up on 15th of June. I am on the 0.400 firmware (latest).
Issues:
Range - wifi congestion in urban areas gives the spark about 50m usable range. In open field enviroments, i was getting i bit more (make sure your bluetooth is turned off).
Video twitch - My footage was twitchy in high winds. I need to do further testing. Flew again in calm winds and i couldn't repeat the issue due to calm winds. Spark handled winds no problem. Could be a gimbal issue.
Price - Fly more package is nearing the Mavic Flyless package.

What i think?
Its awesome for close quarters.
So fast for launch - Turn on spark, start app, connect and go.

What does the public think?
meh - don't care.

Reactions: mapwd1702
The gesture mode seems unreliable. The extended arm with stationary hand seems to work most of the time. The hand wave to have it fly back and up is VERY inconsistent. Works less than half the time. I also,tried,the arms extended overhead too. I finally got it to fly up and back, took a couple of selfies, then did a little follow, then tried to Beckon and it never responded. Tried repeatedly....trust me, lots of times, but no success. It saw me, because sometimes I could get it to rotate in place, but it wouldn't follow me as I walked and wouldn't come back to me. Too high to do anything except wait for the battery to die and land. Fortunately it wasn't over water or on the other side of a fence or on top of a car. It eventually just De ended straight down and landed. No crash, just a failed gesture exercise. Hopefully the next firmware will offer some hope.

Edit, one more advantage for the Spark is the battery charging. USB! I've already used the cig lighter in my car, the wall wart, and I plan to use a battery booster I have for my iPad/iPhone. Way more convenient and I don't have to take another battery charger. No extra controller, no extra charger, way less junk to take with me when I travel! The Spark comes in a small foam clamshell package perfect for travel. I'm happy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips, but a comment-
I don't really need SUPER stable camera footage, and it's ok if the camera twitches in wind. I'm not a photographer, and ok videos Orr fine to me. I'm just wondering if the special features for the Spark work and if it's worth it.

I got the flyless package. Picked it up on 15th of June. I am on the 0.400 firmware (latest).
Issues:
Range - wifi congestion in urban areas gives the spark about 50m usable range. In open field enviroments, i was getting i bit more (make sure your bluetooth is turned off).
Video twitch - My footage was twitchy in high winds. I need to do further testing. Flew again in calm winds and i couldn't repeat the issue due to calm winds. Spark handled winds no problem. Could be a gimbal issue.
Price - Fly more package is nearing the Mavic Flyless package.

What i think?
Its awesome for close quarters.
So fast for launch - Turn on spark, start app, connect and go.

What does the public think?
meh - don't care.

The last comment is the most interesting for me. I can't decide to go for this or the mavic. I want to fly in places I'd not normally fly. I have a P4P and it's just a hassle to haul around for fun.

I know the Mavic would be a good back up to the P4P but the public discretion is much different and important. Do they care less about the mavic than the spark ?

The last comment is the most interesting for me. I can't decide to go for this or the mavic. I want to fly in places I'd not normally fly. I have a P4P and it's just a hassle to haul around for fun.

I know the Mavic would be a good back up to the P4P but the public discretion is much different and important. Do they care less about the mavic than the spark ?
I will choose the mavic, just because of the advantage you have in range... better than the phantom 4. If you choose the spark, it will be better in terms of close range and public perception. The spark looks a toy than a real drone, if you put it in front of a phantom.

I will choose the mavic, just because of the advantage you have in range... better than the phantom 4. If you choose the spark, it will be better in terms of close range and public perception. The spark looks a toy than a real drone, if you put it in front of a phantom.

Better range than the 4 pro too?

Do you know how much more noise the mavic makes than the spark?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers