Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Should I get a ND filter?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by DJJI, Aug 3, 2015.

1. DJJI

Should I get a ND filter for my P3P?
    If I should, which should I choose?
    I prefer to buy on ebay from china due to low cost and non shipping cost. If thats a terrible idea Im willing to buy from another place maybe.

And, what settings are you using on the "style" ? Auto or are you changing the three variables yourself??

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can find Phantom 3 lens filters here:
    http://www.PhantomHelp.com/#CameraP3

My recommendation would be the SRP, Polar Pro, or TACO-RC filters. People say good things about all of them. I've only personally tried the SRP filters. I like them, but they aren't easy to slide on and off. Some say they loosen up a bit over time though.

3. jryser

Polar pros are very nice. And yes Msinger is right - I have the graduated filter from SRP and it's a little snug but it gives you fantastic footage in daylight. Nice ground detail without a blown out sky.

Sent from my PT beating heart

4. hidaven

Ok so which of the ND filters do I need? How many stops does one need to reduce to avoid the flickering trees I see? Also, it looks like there are petal shaped lens hoods to do away with the prop wash that creeps into the video, how does one use a ND filter AND the petal hood at the same time? I'm guessing you need both at once or your suffering to some degree.......

5. spankybear

Depends on how much light is out there and what shutter speed you want. I have the Polarpro 3 filter set and use the nd 8 on sunny days...

6. DJJI

7. JonasHess

I'm using Polar Pro and really like them so far. Good quality. Its worth spending a little extra in my opinion. They will last you long and make a big difference in the footage you get.
    Personally I use the nd16 on sunny days and even nd32 for shooting into the sun or over water.

The filter from your own country I'm not sure about. They are using the picture from the DJI website which raises an alarm.

There is also phantomfilters.com which is cheap. Don't know about quality though.

8. Windtigertim

I noticed that DJI have released an ND4 Filter specifically for the Phantom 3. It is available on the DJI Store. I like this option as it would place no extra weight on the gimbal. Has anyone had a chance to try this out yet?

http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-nd4-filter

9. FASTFJR

10. tasso

#10 tasso, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Windtigertim likes this.
  11. hidaven

What about the petal lens hood? I'm reading that it will Eli I ate that flickering from the sun passing through the props.

12. DJJI

13. spankybear

Personally I would stat away from the gel fliters. They will not be durable and are hard to clean... plus they scratch real easy. IMHO

14. Lovelight

The PolarPros work well for me. It really makes the difference in the quality of the video. The 6 lens set is on backorder and probably worth waiting for. Use a bit of silicon lubrication on the threads to prevent seizing. I didn't have problems but I read of some folks having issues and it does feel like it can be a problem just taking them on and off.

15. spankybear

I have the new version and they thread on silk smooth!

16. snerd