should i fit some sort of strong arms?

Reaction score
got a new p3p should I fit some strengthening arms/motor plates?

I'm in the UK so uavbits isn't a choice really.

What do you mean by "strong arms"? Do you mean prop guards?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Cracks are pretty much a thing of the past since DJI made changes to the shell. Personally, I wouldn't install them since DJI covers the issue under their warranty. Installing them won't hurt anything though.

Reactions: m0j0
I just noticed someone who had a big fall who had them fitted and they seemed to save the shell.

I've seen people fit them after damaging the shell too. So, there could be another use case there. I'd just replace the shell at that point though.

Reactions: cypher007
I just received Strong Arms yesterday. I bought the aluminum ones from Infiniti hobby. I installed them yesterday, didn't take long at all, around 30 to 40 minutes. They are very very well made and look really nice on my phantom, I personally don't like the way the 3-D printed ones look. You ever hear the saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it" well I don't always agree with that. I didn't have any cracks in the arms or around the motors YET. If you can fix something or better yet avoid something from happening to your bird then why not buy these. I purchased my phantom in the beginning of January. I don't want to wait till I develop cracks in the arms or around the motor, because by that point it may be out of warranty. Just to get back on topic, I really like these aluminum ones from Infiniti hobby. Like I said earlier installs easily and quickly, very well-made, really nice finish on them, and they look great on the bird. They are definitely more expensive then the 3-D printed plastic cut outs, but you pay for quality. Some people say that use thread locker and some people say don't use it. I didn't use any thread locker, if you buy the same ones and install them you'll see why I didn't use any thread locker, they fit really nice and they don't seem to need thread locker. Of course you had to keep an eye them overtime making sure they stay tight. Also maybe the most important thing is that as soon as I got done installing them went out flew two batteries and it flew perfect..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wouldn't bother

2 options, 2 outcomes each

1) you install them
1a) you don't get cracks - happy days
1b) you get cracks, you may have caused them from the extra weight, extra length, tightening too much. May or may not covered under warranty as you've altered it

2) you don't install them
2a) you don't get cracks - happy days
2b) you get cracks, may have been avoided by adding strong arms. It's replaced under warranty - happy days

I only see one bad outcome and it happens when you install them.

There's another side to that Chris. U don't install them and don't get any cracks, until your out of warranty, then u get cracks. Unhappy days. I mean who really knows if strong-arms prevent cracks, but I sure have seen a lot of threads about cracks around the motors. From what I've read on this forum is that having them on doesn't hurt anything, and I'm pretty sure I have only read one thread where the pilot said that he developed cracks after installing strong-arms. Now granted I did not read all of them but I did read the majority of them, and there's really no ill affects of using them. Now that's also open to interpretation, people over tighten when installing them, or use thread locker that's not made for a plastic, these things can obviously cause problems either right away or down the road..

Reactions: Dounin Front
Now granted I did not read all of them but I did read the majority of them, and there's really no ill affects of using them. Now that's also open to interpretation, people over tighten when installing them, or use thread locker that's not made for a plastic, these things can obviously cause problems either right away or down the road.

DPD,

Have the plastic ones on two of my P3P's, no cracks. I left the support hub for removable props on my P2, no cracks. Maybe I just got lucky? Go with what you know.

Jerry

There's another side to that Chris. U don't install them and don't get any cracks, until your out of warranty, then u get cracks. Unhappy days. I mean who really knows if strong-arms prevent cracks, but I sure have seen a lot of threads about cracks around the motors. From what I've read on this forum is that having them on doesn't hurt anything, and I'm pretty sure I have only read one thread where the pilot said that he developed cracks after installing strong-arms. Now granted I did not read all of them but I did read the majority of them, and there's really no ill affects of using them. Now that's also open to interpretation, people over tighten when installing them, or use thread locker that's not made for a plastic, these things can obviously cause problems either right away or down the road..

Fair point, I was hoping that DJI would still replace / repair cracks out of warranty as its a known issue. However I haven't read any posts to say they will / won't (not that I've looked).
How long is the warranty? Mines over a year old easy (no strong arms and no cracks) I guess if the OPs phantom is brand new don't install them inside warranty and then personal choice out of warranty?

Reactions: cypher007
I read that the warranty for the shell used to be one year, now no warranty on shells anymore. I read what you guys posted on this forum, so if they changed it back or its the same, don't chew my head off. I'm getting this information from previous threads..

I would only consider something like that if they are very lightweight. I don't like adding anything to my P3 that increases weight or changes flight characteristics. The only exception I made was my carbon fiber gimbal guard. Prop guards I'm definitely against: always thought they create more problems than they solve. But that's just my stubborn oppinion. :)

Mike

I put Strong Arms on after a crash that actually bent the motor end of an arm to the point the prop hit the body. I straightened it out using a heat gun and put on Strong Arms. No problems since and no cracks either.
Look at the way both the plastic and aluminum plates are made and you can see they can do no harm and probably a lot of good (IMO). The OE plastic motor mounts are not very robust.
The aluminum plates look nicer Infinity Hobby, but the plastic version from UAV Bits have worked well for me.

Cracks are pretty much a thing of the past since DJI made changes to the shell. Personally, I wouldn't install them since DJI covers the issue under their warranty. Installing them won't hurt anything though.
I just sent mine back after flying it close to 150 miles... Developed a couple of hairline cracks and sent it back. I sent it out on a Monday got it back on the following Monday .... Fly your bird. I even think they replaced a motor and gimbal is perfectly straignt now. If you have a problem send it in.They were incredibly responsive. i received an RMA the following day and it took about 7 days total to get it back.

JUST FLY IT..

Reactions: Chris P Duck
Wouldn't that make them loose then and a chance of coming out?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

You would loosen the screws an eighth of a turn because you believe the cracks are caused by an over-torque of the screws.

Last edited:
@cypher007 remember despite what a warranty might state (1 yr usually) ALL electrical items must last for a minimum of 2 years, it's a statutory right.. And has had my iPhone replaced twice so called out of warranty, and my TV once. About a month ago I used the argument with Apple as all of my leads had stopped working, they sent me 4 new ones [emoji106] I believe the term (or at least the one I hit them with) was "must be fit for purpose, both in terms of general usage and longevity". So your warranty is effectively 2 years for any electrical item purchased in the UK. Not sure how the US version of these rights works? (Don't seem too hot in rights over there [emoji23][emoji6]) just kidding [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wouldn't bother

2 options, 2 outcomes each

1) you install them
1a) you don't get cracks - happy days
1b) you get cracks, you may have caused them from the extra weight, extra length, tightening too much. May or may not covered under warranty as you've altered it

2) you don't install them
2a) you don't get cracks - happy days
2b) you get cracks, may have been avoided by adding strong arms. It's replaced under warranty - happy days

I only see one bad outcome and it happens when you install them.
Also, if you still get cracks with them on, take them off and put original screws back in. Send in for warranty and happy days. My bird is now out of warranty so doesn't really matter anymore. I have had mine on since the strong arms came out and still no cracks. So I guess they don't cause cracks. Mine is a first run P3 Pro that is a year old this month.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers